Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 03:02 PM

2,958 posts, read 2,559,309 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Um, they're not a business.

To be a business, they would have to provide a good or service to the community, and charge for said service. They're a nonprofit organization.
Non profit?

Some churches have a staff of a dozen or more full time employees. When salaries are being paid the fact that the bottom line is zero means nothing. It's a business which should hire a new CEO and who no doubt would immediately stop sending money to the convention or any other higher ups in the organization. Missionaries to foreign countries to attempt to change their cultures would wilt and die on the vine. Tax breaks for churches is something which was initiated by guess who? Political pressure from churches.

My biggie is my personal feelings about the Bush Faith Based Initiatives which incudently have already been continued by Obama which pumps government funds into an environment which allows potential employees to be hired based upon their faith. The deist forebears would turn over in their graves if they knew this great republic had gotten into bed with religion after their extensive efforts toward separation of church and state.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 03:13 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
I've never paid a single dime to sit in a church. If they were a business, they would demand that I pay up...for whatever it is they're "selling". But they're not actually "selling" anything.

Old 01-27-2010, 03:58 PM

Quote:
I've never paid a single dime to sit in a church. If they were a business, they would demand that I pay up...for whatever it is they're "selling". But they're not actually "selling" anything.
Really?

Today...about four hours ago I left my brother-in-law's funeral. Four times during the ceremony the preacher "GUARANTEED" all of us that Junior was already in heaven, walking streets paved with gold. He also told us that because Junior had prayed the lord's prayer with him in a hospice about four miles from there two weeks ago that his spirit would reap the rewards offered by god in everlasting glory.

After the burial everyone drove to the church and there was more food there than three times as many could have possibly eaten.

Not Selling Anything??

Old 01-27-2010, 04:45 PM

Obviously not, or they would CHARGE me for their "services". There's nothing to buy, and I have never spent a dime.

Old 01-27-2010, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melvin.George View Post
Non profit?

Some churches have a staff of a dozen or more full time employees. When salaries are being paid the fact that the bottom line is zero means nothing. It's a business which should hire a new CEO and who no doubt would immediately stop sending money to the convention or any other higher ups in the organization. Missionaries to foreign countries to attempt to change their cultures would wilt and die on the vine. Tax breaks for churches is something which was initiated by guess who? Political pressure from churches.

My biggie is my personal feelings about the Bush Faith Based Initiatives which incudently have already been continued by Obama which pumps government funds into an environment which allows potential employees to be hired based upon their faith. The deist forebears would turn over in their graves if they knew this great republic had gotten into bed with religion after their extensive efforts toward separation of church and state.
Which is my problem with charities that pay staff. Staff should be all unpaid VOLUNTEERS.

Old 01-27-2010, 05:57 PM

4,348 posts, read 7,352,915 times
Quote:
Um, they're not a business.

To be a business, they would have to provide a good or service to the community, and charge for said service. They're a nonprofit organization.
Far from it, they are all profit, selling a myth and hot air, taking in 10% of their followers incomes if they get what they ask for.

Old 01-28-2010, 04:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cncracer View Post
Far from it, they are all profit, selling a myth and hot air, taking in 10% of their followers incomes if they get what they ask for.
I've said for years...if they can accept a portion of an old widow's social security check they should at least have to pay taxes to the government which funded her contribution.

Old 01-28-2010, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cncracer View Post
They can ask--but they do not demand. I've never paid a single dime to any church. A business would demand that you pay up--and get legal representation if necessary.

Old 01-28-2010, 05:36 AM

Quote:
They can ask--but they do not demand.
I was an active member of a Baptist church for nearly forty years. My wife and I gave 10% of our gross plus extra gifts for building funds, Lottie Moon etc. I was a member of the brotherhood, coached RA Boys, participated in visitation, planning, testimonials, pastor selection once after we lost ours, retreats, picnics and other special outings etc. I can't imagine anyone having the gall to show up at any church function knowing that they weren't doing their part. Demand is as Demand does.

Old 02-13-2010, 09:21 PM

4,348 posts, read 7,352,915 times
Quote:
They can ask--but they do not demand. I've never paid a single dime to any church. A business would demand that you pay up--and get legal representation if necessary.
Years ago I read a letter to a friend’s grandmother. The letter came several months after her death, and was from one of the national TV evangelist. It was asking for money; telling her in very few words how she was risking her soul if she turned her back on their church. You may be right in they will not send a lawyer, but the force they use telling a 90 year old she needed to pay to avoid their mythical hell is much stronger than legal actions. I still say they are a business, They use fear as their force, and they should pay taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality