Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 04:33 PM

1,481 posts, read 2,159,005 times

Advertisements

I am often amused that religious types believe that I should help pay for their local body services( water etc ) for their place of so called worship.
Why do we heathens owe religious types ?

The same with the 10% that a lot of religious types are required to pay to their religion, when they are on welfare they still hand over that 10%.
Why should some of my income tax go to a religion ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2010, 05:00 PM

598 posts, read 916,961 times
That's how taxes work anyway -- some are more of receivers, while others are more of payers.

I suppose if there was a "atheist church", it would benefit from it too.

Old 01-24-2010, 12:21 AM

3,202 posts, read 4,431,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzrugby View Post

The same with the 10% that a lot of religious types are required to pay to their religion, when they are on welfare they still hand over that 10%.
Well some of my income tax money goes to buy beer ,cigarettes,and pot since people on public assistance get money in cash and even funds used to directly pay for specified food items can be traded for cash....because some of them smoke,drink,etc.Its just the way tax money goes.

Old 01-24-2010, 12:36 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,639,854 times
Once that money ceases to be yours, you cease to have a say in how it is spent. Fight instead to stop having to pay taxes in the first place.

Old 01-24-2010, 04:30 PM

9,616 posts, read 12,911,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud235 View Post
That's how taxes work anyway -- some are more of receivers, while others are more of payers.

I suppose if there was a "atheist church", it would benefit from it too.
Hey! Great idea! Why didn't we think of this earlier? Especially since we're insulted so often by theists who claim, with a sneer, the totally misguided concept that "atheism's a religion!".

Well, if so, let's get our money's worth, like the confiscatory organized churches do! A free ride, but in our case, it'll be to hell!

Old 01-24-2010, 04:36 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
Hey! Great idea! Why didn't we think of this earlier? Especially since we're insulted so often by theists who claim, with a sneer, the totally misguided concept that "atheism's a religion!".

Well, if so, let's get our money's worth, like the confiscatory organized churches do! A free ride, but in our case, it'll be to hell!
most "atheists" are in fact not, they are practicing a set of beliefs best described as "earth religion". and people that post alot on CDF are rarely heavy tax payers unless they are old retired people like me.

Old 01-24-2010, 06:59 PM

1 posts, read 1,122 times
Along that line of thinking, I am often amused that parents believe that I should help pay for their local body services( water etc ) for their children's place of so called education.

Old 01-25-2010, 04:55 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,929,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cromonhismountain View Post
Along that line of thinking, I am often amused that parents believe that I should help pay for their local body services( water etc ) for their children's place of so called education.
I agree. Sucks for me because I get to pay twice, once for the crappy public education and again for the school I actually send them to that's worth a flip.

Old 01-25-2010, 02:11 PM

2,958 posts, read 2,559,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nzrugby View Post
I am often amused that religious types believe that I should help pay for their local body services( water etc ) for their place of so called worship.
Why do we heathens owe religious types ?

None of our tax should go to religion. That's exactly what the framers were trying to put down for the nation's future in their separation of church and state. I'll guarantee you they would oppose the Christians getting any of it because they were outspoken about America not being a Christian nation and they had favorite names for the bible...like "Dunghill."

While the nation was in the middle of a bloody civil war religious extremists managed to put political pressure to bear and get "In God We Trust" added to our coins and during the cold war the McCarthyites managed to get "Under God" added to the pledge of allegiance. I don't trust any of them.

Old 01-25-2010, 02:38 PM

10,908 posts, read 9,550,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
most "atheists" are in fact not, they are practicing a set of beliefs best described as "earth religion". and people that post alot on CDF are rarely heavy tax payers unless they are old retired people like me.
I would just love to see your verification for this statement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality