Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2014, 05:44 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,570,234 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier View Post
As a former gay man I have always found it interesting that many people think you can only be gay or straight. It's understood if a straight guy goes gay...he's finally been true to his feelings and it's accepted, if not approved by the gay community.

But if a gay man decides to go straight then he's ostracized by the gay and straight community. Things are said like "he was never really gay," or "He's not being true to who he really is." What a double standard!

never thought about that. But if a person grows up under gay parents they may see that as normal. And when they go exploring be troubled because they, for some unknown reason, feel unsettled about it. They find out they are straight? great question for us I think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2014, 06:01 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,806,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Other than the instinctive mammalian drive to procreate (necessarily heterosexual)...nothing else is innate...it is all a choice.
People are into all kinds of fetishes...homosex is a rather popular one.
Another 'explanation' that could not possibly be more wrong.

99% of sex between men and women is entirely unintened to result in a pregnancy. The sexual urge is an evolutionary adaptation to encourage procraetion, but it does not follow that all sex thus is intended for procreation. This is why men such as I who have long had a vasectomy do not see their sexual drives diminish do to the procedure. Nor do women on the pill (nor, conversely, men who know their partner is on the pill, or women who know their partner has had a vasectomy). It is also why the sexual drive exists for all manner of sex that does not involve vaginal intercourse - and thus has no chance to result in a pregnancy. The overwhelming majority of sex is done in pursuit of physical and/or emotional pleasure.

That two men having sex cannot procreate is no more relevant than the fact that when I have sex with my wife (given my vasectomy of nine-plus years ago) a pregnancy cannot result. The desire is not dependent on making a baby.

That humans use sex for more than its underlying evolutionary basis of creating new humans is no more surprising than the fact that we use our hands for throwing baseballs or working remote controls, our ears for places to hang jewelry, our brains for creating fiction.

It appears that you didn't even try to think through logical implcations of your simplistic claim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
You need to get off of your hatred train as this is a person as well as a friend that I have known for years that turned his life over to the Lord and yes I believe so get off your high horse,he has not done damage, you have with your filthy hatred .
You confuse contempt and pity for hatred. I suspect this is a manifestation of your perpetual need to feel yourself a persecuted Christian.

And the fact that you have a friend who makes certain claims is no more material to reality than the fact that plenty of professed UFO-abductees and sasquatch-sighters also have friends to which they share their odd claims.

Old 11-17-2014, 06:29 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,321,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC01 View Post
2) You have no idea about how much people like Hoosier affect the gay community. People like him that say that they've changed have done tremendous damage to the gay community. Because of people like him, people assume that all gay people can change as long as we just pray about it. It enforces the "it's a choice" b.s. Somehow these personal anecdotes trump the overwhelming scientific evidence in the minds of many.
On top of that, you end up with thousands of gays, mostly young people, who are continuously bullied, physically assaulted, shunned, ostracized, rejected and disowned by their own family - and those gays are taught that who they are is filth, trash, hated by God. So they'll do anything to be straight, anything to be normal.

And guess what happens when they keep waking up every morning to find that they're still gay? Uh huh ...

These BS claims of people magically turning straight ('ya just have to turn to Jeezuz-ah') only gives the disenfranchized a lot of false hope that Gawd will "cleanse" them of their sin, make them straight, and then their whole neighborhood will line up outside their house applauding, hugging, and exclaiming, "Welcome back!"

It's pretty agonizing when these 'miracles' don't manifest.

Old 11-17-2014, 07:48 AM

2,535 posts, read 3,278,425 times
I think there are TRUE Bi-Sexual men and women. They can lust for sex for either and or both?
It may be easier food them to choose one... and suppress the other? But for MOST...THERE IS .....ONE?
THAT ONE as their predominate lust for ONE SEX AND.....THAT IS their TRUE Sexual Orientation.
So for them.... it is to suppress that one to perhaps to switch to the worlds preferred, predominate? For some.. the desire to procreate offspring Is one?
THAT THEN IS A CHOICE of Intense suppression for them in altering ones biological even genetic persuasion... inner lust?
For those who in puberty, that found their lust was for same sex ...DID DO JUST THAT DUE TO SOCIETY, RELIGION AND FAMILY PRESSURE ....TO SURPRESS THEIR TRUE ORIENTATION OF WHO LUSTED FOR. THAT OF THE SAME SEX? In most of humankind existence and Gay men and women did just that one every era and society.
The need to fit in? CONFORM.... to the preferred expectation is always strong in humanity. So many A TRUELY GAY MEN AND WOMEN DID SURPRESS THAT SIDE TO LEAD A CHOSEN LIFESTYLE ASSIDE FROM THEIR INWARD REVEALED ONE IN PUBERTY? THEIR NATURAL ORIENTATION THAT BY HARMONES. WERE AWAKENED BUT STILL PERHAPS GENETICALLY INSTILLED..... suppressed.

Perhaps the question should be ....to those who DID CHOOSE OR CHANGE THEIRS BY CHOICE?
---Did they feel they became cured of a scourge or disease and become healed of it?
---Or was it a CHOICE BY SURPRESSING THAT SIDE and whether that process became total eventually or not?
---IF that other side completely left their inner lust thoughts entirely?
---Or was the suppression of it, A LIFELONG WORK AND BATTLE?
---Was it a fight against their inner biological lust that always awakened? To be again be replaced and suppressed?
I believe if there is a TRUE BIOLOGICAL AND PERHAPS GENETIC SEXUAL ORIENTATION WE HAVE? That is fully AWAKENED at Puberty? Suppression of that side to choose the other, is then a lifelong work in process. Yes for some, it could become virtually total? But for most ...I believe ? That side always resurfaces, in their private lust throughout life.
As some in RELIGION might teach....It is MERELY TEMPTATION BY A EVIL ENTITY UNDER THE TERM... STEERING THEM TO SIN? Therefore you keep fighting and suppressing it as any other tempt to sin.

I do not say this to advocate suppression of one who realizes they are Gay. Merely my opinion of what happens with some?
I do not advocate forced or strong persuading as a Cure from it... is what Religion should be claiming? But we all have GUIDELINES TO OUR LUST WE ALL CAN'T ACT ON WHENEVER WE WANT. But to completely change TRUE Sexual Orientation is FAR MORE THEN a Act of MERELY Suppressing thoughts of lust, we daily get at inappropriate times?

Old 11-17-2014, 07:55 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,642,092 times
I think the world would be a better place, if we didn't have these "Sin Nazis" calling people out on every behavior that doesn't jive with their little archaic book of rules.

Old 11-17-2014, 08:02 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,275,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by perry335654 View Post
\
You need to get off of your hatred train as this is a person as well as a friend that I have known for years that turned his life over to the Lord and yes I believe so get off your high horse,he has not done damage, you have with your filthy hatred .

Good for him, should he get a cookie?

Old 11-17-2014, 08:26 AM

5,903 posts, read 3,790,619 times
I'm not sure if anyone asked the OP (this thread is 4 years old) if he still has sexual inclinations towards the same sex....if he does then he's simply denying himself because his god thinks it's immoral and an "abomination". He is no more "cured" of homosexuality than I would be of heterosexuality if I believed in a god and he told me it was an abomination.

Words from some ancient text shouldn't make us deny who we are and are meant to be. It's kind of sad really that anyone feels they have to change who they are to meet demands of such a monster of a god....any loving and caring deity would not make these kinds of demands.

But as a former christian I understand that he thinks he is taking the moral high road and seems to be quite proud of the fact that he is denying who he is for his god. Nothing better than feeling like you are persecuting yourself to stay out of hell cause god said it was bad. God did not "say" anything Hoosier.....men did. You are following an archaic belief system and it's unfortunate that you can't see that. Be who you are.

Old 11-17-2014, 08:30 AM

10,086 posts, read 5,730,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizaTeal View Post
I think the world would be a better place, if we didn't have these "Sin Nazis" calling people out on every behavior that doesn't jive with their little archaic book of rules.
The world isn't a better place ever since society has turned away from God.

Old 11-17-2014, 08:36 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,172,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
The world isn't a better place ever since society has turned away from God.
It WILL be a better place when the people who believe in your version of God finally go extinct.

Old 11-17-2014, 08:45 AM

5,903 posts, read 3,790,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
It WILL be a better place when the people who believe in your version of God finally go extinct.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality