Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 10:46 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,813,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneJackson View Post
Moderator cut: Orphaned post
Again? OK.

Here goes

Quote:
Alright, I've watched documentaries on evolution, I've read articles in printed encyclopedias, I've read most parts of On The Origin of Species, I've read of similar anatomy, similar skeletons, etc, of all species, presumably indicating species are related.

My question is: How do people 'know' evolution has taken place? Why is it considered a fact, though even Darwin himself knew it had (and still has) holes? Are people merely biased in evolutions favor?
That really doesn't answer the question. So, what do you think evoultion is?

Last edited by june 7th; 01-28-2010 at 05:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2010, 11:05 AM

8,734 posts, read 13,813,167 times
Quote:
um..hello..the OP is asking the question?
Um...hello..., yourself. No, the OP is not asking what evolution is, but rather, how is it that people know it has taken place. Just by asking that, the OP believes he/she has some idea of what it is. I was asking what the OP believes it is.

Old 01-28-2010, 11:10 AM

430 posts, read 583,298 times
Quote:
Moderator cut: Orphaned post
Isn't it amazing? You make my points, and I don't even have to exert any energy!

But, just for your own scientific education (of which you obviously lack, but still choose to argue about), at least Google Evolution, and then Regeneration.

See the difference? One happens to the organism, the other to it's long-term genetics after many many generations. Big, huge difference, but then, you knew that. I hope.

I do however also note that your wonderful all-powerful God, who made the universe, has yet to ever regenerate any lopped-off limbs, thumbs, or eyes.

I'm still curious what a POE is. Does it apply here?

Last edited by june 7th; 01-28-2010 at 05:11 PM..

Old 01-28-2010, 11:16 AM

430 posts, read 583,298 times
POE? That's OK: having the internet at my fingertips, (as we all do) I was able to find it:

"Poe's Law" is a Christian theological principle that states: "Elements of the Gospel speak to different levels of spiritual concern in different cultures at different times." It is taught to modern evangelists as a way to better target the message of the Gospel to different audiences for maximum salvific efficacy.

The law was named after theologian Dr. Harry Lee Poe, a cousin of Edgar Allan Poe, who promoted the concept in his book "The Gospel and Its Meaning: A Theology for Evangelism and Church Growth."

According to Poe's Law, we should emphasize the radical aspect of Jesus in order to appeal to today's spirited youths."

"For maximum salvific efficacy" Wow; now there's a mouthful! The need justifies whatever means, I'm thinking. It may well apply here to OneJackson's hilariously illogical posts; emphasize the most radical aspects of the Christian belief system to appeal those who want to bypass rationality.

Old 01-28-2010, 11:17 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,589,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LZKay1 View Post
My question is: How do people 'know' evolution has taken place? Why is it considered a fact, though even Darwin himself knew it had (and still has) holes? Are people merely biased in evolutions favor?
Come on, you could've come up with a more challenging question than that!

The answer is: by precisely the same logic as they 'know' the Bible is the ultimate source of scientific knowledge.

Old 01-28-2010, 11:21 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,719,635 times
Quote:
can you point out a single instance of evolution

arctic hares have tiny ears. desert hares have large ears. this is due to evolution, since large ears dissipate heat, and small ears do not, these creatures have evolved to suit their climates.

Old 01-28-2010, 11:26 AM

3,771 posts, read 7,090,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanTerra View Post
OOPS! I think you meant #5.
You're entirely correct.

I meant to type #5 but my eyes deceived me.

Thanks for the correction.

Old 01-28-2010, 12:26 PM

970 posts, read 1,699,524 times
OP, if you want an overview of the evidence, in a form understandable by the layman, I recommend Richard Dawkins' newest book, The Greatest Show on Earth. Kind of hard to summarise in a paragraph.

OneJackson, I will ignore you (and I encourage others to do the same) until you provide us a definition of the theory of evolution - in your own words. I realize this is not what the OP asked, but it's what I am asking you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by expect
Because i'm sure a google search will produce well respected, highly intelligent scientists who do not support the theory... people with masters and doctorate degrees in relevant fields, from accredited and premier universities. disbelief or lack of support in this theory (or any other theory) does not make one scientist more or less reputable than the next.
Probably about twenty, if you spend a few hours on it. With months of research, you may get as many as a hundred, with varying degree of "disbelief" (the Discovery Institute tried and didn't even get that many). In other words, a drop in the ocean of qualified scientists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory
I believe it, but as far as I can tell it is not considered a fact.
People on the internet (all right, and the media, and even scientists in informal conversation ) mix them up all the time, but the "theory of evolution" is not the same as the "fact of evolution". The fact of evolution is the observation that living organisms evolve and share a common ancestor. The theory of evolution attempts to explain how that evolution happened, what are the mechanisms behind it ("theory" being used in the scientific sense of the word).

Old 01-28-2010, 12:50 PM

1,132 posts, read 1,938,373 times
Quote:
what about growing wings. did your start growing yet?

I saw a Croco-duck in my dreams but not in real life.

can you point out a single instance of evolution

please don't use the platypus. .

I already pointed out one ongoing example of evolution in this thread, but I'll bring it up again.

Why do you suppose there is a new flu vaccine every year?
1 - Our bodies, after getting the current vaccine are immune to the flu.
2 - Unless of course, there is a mutated individual, who by some random chance is geneticdally different enough to not be affected by the current vaccine.
3 - This individual is fully able to get into your cells and replacate, making many, many more copies of itself, which, being its offspring and having its genetics are also unaffected by the vaccine.
4 - The viruses that are affected by the vaccine are unable to replecate themselves.
5 - Thus, the "evolved" virus is more succesful than the "unevolved" version and becomes more prevalent

Old 01-28-2010, 01:13 PM

1,266 posts, read 1,798,591 times
Quote:
No. just No. because how did those desert hares get to the artic? swim?...LOL
Funny, in creationist mythology that is exactly how they and many other animals supposedly got to Noah's ark and back again. More of that selective creationist logic at work..

Quote:
Take Humans for instance... Chinese don't have thin eyes because it's cold in China...LOL.
Yes, that is exactly why asians have "thin eyes". That and to reflect sunlight. Ever seen Eskimos wearing those carved eye coverings with pencil thin openings?

Quote:
and Africans don't have long legs because they chase down Lions and Gazelles in the Sahara Desert...LOL.
Actually speed may well have something to do with it. Though heat dissipation is probably the primary factor.

Quote:
These features have absolutely nothing to do with their climate or locale.
Wrong. Climate/environment has quite a bit to do with it.

Quote:
Please remember that the earth's continents were mostly joined together years ago. this could explain the Artic hares.
Problem is, there were no rabbits or other mammals around when the continents were joined together circa 200 million years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality