Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2012, 09:29 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,179,039 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Do you support organized school prayer?

And if you do, would you truly support organized school prayer if the prayers were of Jewish origin and chanted in Hebrew?
If a local city or town wanted to do it, they should have the right. That's what the Founding Fathers wanted. They didn't believe a federal government should be so intrusive as to not allow it. It's up to the local government.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2012, 09:38 PM

1,487 posts, read 1,706,546 times
I believe every school should say a morning prayer to the Lord Buddha. It gets your blood circulating properly.

Old 12-21-2012, 09:46 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,522,365 times
NO. Our schools here are the worst in the world there are more important things to worry about them what God the children are praying too. While people fight over something this stupid your kids are getting a half-arsed edcumation while they get left behind by the rest of the world. So go on keep fighting over prayer in school, who cares about the children?

Old 12-21-2012, 09:54 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,036,675 times
Absolutely not.

Vizio's comments above are horrifying.

Th government, whether national, state, county or city should not decide how, when or where the citizens pray.

Either schools impose a dominant religion, or they rotate amongst all religions. Either way they offend and exclude people. Much better to not pray on a schedule and allow all students to feel included.

Freedom OF religion includes not being coerced into someone else's religion. The only way to enure this is to not mandate prayer, yet allow people to pray in their own manner on their own time.

Old 12-21-2012, 10:14 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,923,279 times
I support the presence in every school of a quiet and peaceful sanctuary for reflection and meditation, which may be religious if the child so wishes, but no child is ever obliged to go there. There may be a wall on which children of an organized religion may place objects or symbols necessary to their prayer, and simple and appropriate furnishings.

Permission to leave class to retire to the sanctuary would be granted under similar discretion as permission go to the bathroom. Students wearing side-arms would be expected to leave their weapons outside.

I think every atheist would agree with me in principle on this concept. And I do not know why a religious person would object.

Last edited by jtur88; 12-21-2012 at 10:24 PM..

Old 12-21-2012, 10:17 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,065,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txranger19 View Post
Our Country has slowly removed God from schools. Now there is none. And now murders are being committed in schools. The kids committing the murders were not "brainwashed" by religion. They were brain washed by evil video games, music and all other things not including God. The constitution was not written by God but by man, and politicians no less. When was the last time a politician lifted a finger to do what was best for man kind instead of executing his/her own agenda.
If God is real, then most of you are in deep doo-doo. If he is not..then it's my opinion this country was better off when most people believed in it.
Prayer in school is great whether it be a moment of silence, or even in student groups during religion period. Pray to whatever God you believe in. Conduct your life in a way that would make your God proud if it doesn't involve murdering people. Maybe if Adam Lanza knew a Godly higher power, then people who not have died.
The worse school massacre in the USA was in 1927. Long before prayer was removed from public schools.

Bath, Michigan Massacre

Old 12-21-2012, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
The worse school massacre in the USA was in 1927. Long before prayer was removed from public schools.

Are you sure? When was prayer removed from public school? I started public school in 1943, just 16 years later, and there was no prayer in school. "Under God" wasn't even in the Pledge of Allegiance.

It is my historical understanding that there was no school prayer anywhere in the 20th century, until New York tried to institute it in 1955, and within seven years, by 1962, it was struck down by the Supreme Court. So, for practical purposes, there has never been school prayer to any substantial degree in the 20th century. And probably very little of it before that, most likely at the discretion of the teacher.

Last edited by jtur88; 12-21-2012 at 10:35 PM..

Old 12-21-2012, 10:31 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,036,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
I support the presence in every school of a quiet and peaceful sanctuary for reflection and meditation, which may be religious if the child so wishes, but no child is ever obliged to go there. There may be a wall on which children of an organized religion may place objects or symbols necessary to their prayer, and simple and appropriate furnishings.

Permission to leave class to retire to the sanctuary would be granted under similar discretion as permission go to the bathroom. Students wearing side-arms would be expected to leave their weapons outside.

I think every atheist would agree with me in principle on this concept. And I do not know why a religious person would object.
I am an atheist and I disagree.

First, there should be no allowance for students to leave class for religious reason. Reducing instructional time for superstition is stupid.

Students should not be allowed sidearms in school. Are you insane? And even if hey were, why should there be pedal religious exceptions for them?

Old 12-21-2012, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
I am an atheist and I disagree.

First, there should be no allowance for students to leave class for religious reason. Reducing instructional time for superstition is stupid.

Students should not be allowed sidearms in school. Are you insane? And even if hey were, why should there be pedal religious exceptions for them?
Students should have a place to go to unwind and just take a deep breath (which is not superstition), just as adults can. A toilet is not an ideal place. If some students wish to use that opportunity to pray to their God, that should not be prohibited -- to do so would violate the First Amendment. Maybe if students are given an opportunity to chill out when they need to, they will be less inclined to murder their classmates.

I was just anticipating NRA-lobbied law letting/requiring students wear guns to school (as they are allowed to do now at Virginia Tech and other colleges), and thinking about rules that would regulate them. Or like when some senior boys disarm a teacher and take her Bushmaster with a 30-round clip away from her.

Last edited by jtur88; 12-21-2012 at 10:49 PM..

Old 12-21-2012, 10:48 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,065,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Are you sure? When was prayer removed from public school? I started public school in 1943, just 16 years later, and there was no prayer in school. "Under God" wasn't even in the Pledge of Allegiance.
I was born in 1940 started school in 1945 and there was always a morning prayer at the start of the school day, during my school years up through High School.

"Under God" was not in the pledge of allegiance during my school years, as that was not added to the pledge until 1954 HERE, but many schools did not use, the new 4th version of the Pledge that contained "under God", until the 1960s

Public prayer was federally removed from Public schools in 1963 HERE, 36 years after the 1927 Bath Massacre
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality