U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2010, 11:24 AM

190 posts, read 414,666 times

Advertisements

If doctors have the technology in the near future to consistently tell you if you child is going to be gay or strait before the child is born will it change your views if you believe that it's a choice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2010, 01:53 PM

3,540 posts, read 5,960,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey1979 View Post
If doctors have the technology in the near future to consistently tell you if you child is going to be gay or strait before the child is born will it change your views if you believe that it's a choice?
I think many Christians would agree that being born with certain desires is not necessarily sinful.
It's the acting out the desires that many Christians believe is sinful.

Old 02-01-2010, 02:00 PM

2,893 posts, read 5,167,391 times
I would be more worried they might have the "politician" gene than the gay one.

Old 02-01-2010, 02:13 PM

19,022 posts, read 24,687,970 times
Quote:
Sorry, technology isn't gonna find something that does not exist

Old 02-01-2010, 03:47 PM

4,439 posts, read 8,061,600 times
Trust me.. God him or herself could come down and say "dudes seriously.. you are taking scripture WAY out of context and oh by the way they are born that way"

and my guess is the majority of people opposed to "the gay" would still say "yeah.. I just don't believe that guy.."

Old 02-01-2010, 06:32 PM

21,417 posts, read 29,542,083 times
Quote:
Ain't gonna happen. Sin will always be a choice.

Old 02-01-2010, 06:49 PM

190 posts, read 414,666 times
so if someone is born with a gene that makes them sexualy atracted to the same sex it's still a sin if they act on it?

Old 02-01-2010, 07:14 PM

1,052 posts, read 1,410,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE NORTH CAROLINA View Post
Ain't gonna happen. Sin will always be a choice.
So if you accidentally stepped on an ant and killed it...you sinned because it was a choice then? Moderator cut: rude

Last edited by Miss Blue; 02-02-2010 at 12:06 PM..

Old 02-01-2010, 07:56 PM

13,856 posts, read 22,244,909 times
Oddly when I was younger I was more likely to believe there's some gene or something that makes people gay, but by learning a bit about anthropology and reading about "twin studies" such I've become more skeptical of the idea.

Also it's possible one could be born gay and there still be no "gay gene." Perhaps homosexuality is caused by certain stresses or chemicals in the womb. Possibly this is why one identical twin can be heterosexual and the other homosexual. The chemical or stress has a greater impact on one than the other.

I think "it can't happen", a test of babies sexual orientation before birth, is a legitimate response. That many activists want to hold their breath and say "NO, NO, NO" is their opinion, but it's not one everyone must accept. Although as this is hypothetical possibly the more sporting answer would have been something else. If I said "what if we could test in the womb whether someone would be Democrat." Answering "we can't, how stupid" would I suppose be non-helpful.

Lastly I'm sure I'll get some deeming I must be ignorant, but I go to science sites every day and I have read some on the science sexual orientation. However to indicate that the options are "your born that way" or "it's a choice" is a false dichotomy that I don't think is borne out by the evidence. That homosexuals respond to certain smells or spatially orient in a certain way implies genetics as possible, but does not disprove early environmental influences. Also "early environmental influences" does not simply translate to "the parents", which I mention as this seems to be a common understanding of what "early environmental" must mean. I'm not sure why but some seem to latch on to an anachronistic Freudian/Victorian view that a child's world is solely circumscribed by their parents. Now what I mean by "early environmental influences" includes siblings and peers as well as parents. It also may include exposure/non-exposure to certain chemicals, viruses, bacteria, medication combos, or maybe even head injuries or the lack of them. It is known environmental effects can be potent. If a girl is raised a certain way she may spatially orient somewhat different from normal. It's likely that the age at which a person develops full blown bipolar or schizophrenia is influenced by what happens to them. A boy or girl may even have their sense of smell effected by something in early childhood. I think the "unique" qualities of homosexuals may be genetic, but I don't think this is proven or that post-birth causes have been ruled out. More importantly the mainstream of science, as I know it, says that the cause of sexual orientation is not fully understood. Some here want to site things that say "it's not a choice" and then go "ah ha", but there's no "ah ha" to it. Not unless you think everyone is going by the false dichotomy of Choice vs Nature.

Hopefully that was somewhat coherent. Zai Jian!

Old 02-01-2010, 08:58 PM

783 posts, read 1,159,300 times
Quote:
so if someone is born with a gene that makes them sexualy atracted to the same sex it's still a sin if they act on it?
Yes. all mankind is predisposed to sin. That is why we need The Savior Christ Jesus.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality