U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-02-2010, 08:46 AM
 
2,996 posts, read 4,908,112 times
Reputation: 1793

Advertisements

I came across this short treatise on the subject and thought it would make for some discussion on this often misled belief amongst Followers of Christ to try and make God fit our cultures philosophy :

The Cruel God of Evolution


1 Corinthians 15:22
For as in Adam all die, even so in Christ all shall be made alive.
Some people think that they can believe in Jesus Christ as their Savior and at the same time believe God created through evolution. These people are called theistic evolutionists or progressive creationists. What kind of nature would a god have who creates through the death that is essential to evolution?

First, death would have to have begun from the very moment of creation. Death, disease, pain and suffering would have had to originate with this god. Long before man, according to evolution, dinosaurs were eating other dinosaurs, and entire species were dying out. Rather than loving us, such a god would be indifferent and capricious. The god that would use evolution to make living things would have no right to punish sin. He would have had no right to bring a worldwide Flood to punish sinful man. This kind of god would be nothing more than a bully. Such a god would not be likely to have given us his word. And nothing the Bible says about him could be true. If the Bible really is from him, it is full of untrue claims. Any god who created using evolution is not the God of the Bible. If you think about it, the god of evolution sounds surprisingly like the devil.

What's wrong with believing that God created through evolution over millions of years? Any god that uses evolution and death to make us is extremely cruel. More importantly, if there was no first Adam to bring sin and death into the world, there was no need for Christ, Whom the Bible calls the last Adam, to die and save us from sin and death.

Prayer: I rejoice, dear Father, because you are gracious and merciful to me. Amen.

References: Creation, 9-11/99. pp. 42-45, "The god of an old Earth."

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-02-2010, 08:51 AM
 
Location: Frisco, TX
7,556 posts, read 11,872,231 times
Reputation: 4516
Aside from the fact we have fossils indicating there were species now extinct, you do realize God uses death as a means to life, right? The very destiny of mankind is built upon the ashes of his fall.

"...through death He might destroy him that had the power of death..." (Heb 2:14)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2010, 09:17 AM
 
2,996 posts, read 4,908,112 times
Reputation: 1793
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
Aside from the fact we have fossils indicating there were species now extinct, you do realize God uses death as a means to life, right? The very destiny of mankind is built upon the ashes of his fall.

"...through death He might destroy him that had the power of death..." (Heb 2:14)
The entire passage reads as thus :
__________________________________________________ ___
Hebrews 2:14-15 (Contemporary English Version)

14We are people of flesh and blood. That is why Jesus became one of us. He died to destroy the devil, who had power over death. 15But he also died to rescue all of us who live each day in fear of dying.
__________________________________________________ _______


This passage is about Christ who defeated Satan on the cross by breaking the power of death so we dont have to live in fear of it anymore because our eternity is safeguarded ; the OP is about something entirely different which is : Physical death before sin entering the world and the oxymoron of God calling IT (his completed creation) 'good, very good' . If you read Genesis 1 and 2 , you see that God made everything fully formed and fully functioning right from the get-go and didnt use wasteful and cruel macro-evolution that is an affront to his very character.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2010, 09:34 AM
 
Location: Frisco, TX
7,556 posts, read 11,872,231 times
Reputation: 4516
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
If you read Genesis 1 and 2 , you see that God made everything fully formed and fully functioning right from the get-go and didnt use wasteful and cruel macro-evolution that is an affront to his very character.
That assumes it (creation) spun out of His control shortly after He set it "free".

The fact is, it was all part of a restitutional plan to use the course downward to propel it to heights yet unknown to us...

...but fully known to Him, as it was from the beginning.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2010, 09:56 AM
 
5,463 posts, read 5,924,943 times
Reputation: 1804
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
What's wrong with believing that God created through evolution over millions of years? Any god that uses evolution and death to make us is extremely cruel.
Instead you should believe that it's literally true that God used a global flood to kill off most of the world's population, and that's not somehow extremely cruel? Sounds like a double standard to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2010, 10:01 AM
 
2,996 posts, read 4,908,112 times
Reputation: 1793
Quote:
Originally Posted by little elmer View Post
That assumes it (creation) spun out of His control shortly after He set it "free".

The fact is, it was all part of a restitutional plan to use the course downward to propel it to heights yet unknown to us...

...but fully known to Him, as it was from the beginning.
No, it doesnt assume that. WHen God made Creation , it was in perfect working order and when he looked back on it , he declared his completed creation work : 'good, VERY good' ...and he had Adam give names to all the (fully formed and fully functioning) animals that God created . It was only after Adam and Eve rebelled against God and sin entered the world, that creation was thrown in chaos ; Gods restitutional plan is one of future redemption pertaining to the physical world where 'the lion will lay down with the lamb' and all of creation will be restored to how it was prior to sin entering the world --- one of complete harmony . It will then be a world without the effects of sin suitable for those whove gotton redeemed by Christ to spend eternity in. God didnt use the pop-culture philosophy of macro evolution when he created ....it is an affront to his character and Gods Word , and is therefore a false doctrine from the pit of Hell. I used to try and blend the two because Evolution has been so engrained into our minds along with the desire to appease the secular ' science ' of our day ; its a lucrative trap many fall into. But modern science, by nature, is in search of the answers....whereas Gods Word already knows/has it.

Last edited by 007.5; 02-02-2010 at 10:02 AM.. Reason: add
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2010, 10:06 AM
 
8,989 posts, read 12,699,703 times
Reputation: 748
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
Instead you should believe that it's literally true that God used a global flood to kill off most of the world's population, and that's not somehow extremely cruel? Sounds like a double standard to me.
How is that the same?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2010, 10:11 AM
 
2,996 posts, read 4,908,112 times
Reputation: 1793
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
Instead you should believe that it's literally true that God used a global flood to kill off most of the world's population, and that's not somehow extremely cruel? Sounds like a double standard to me.
God was entirely justified in practicing his infinite justice in destroying all but 8 people with animals when looking back on the willful rebellion / heinous acts that people had committed thru the suppression of their moral consciences . ANd he will be entirely justified in granting whatever people on earth now desire (but for all of eternity) : Greater distance from him, or , greater closeness to him . God in his boundless love, chose to send his Son, Jesus, as a means for us to be reconciled back to him....IF we are willing to accept the free gift he offers up . God is love AND justice ... and first offers us his love ; if we dont want it, then we have to endure his infinite justice for the eternal crime of our sins , which is direct rebellion toward himself as well as others. The choice is a simple one, lest ones personal pride get in the way. Do you know how to recieve Gods free demonstration of love for your life , as found thru Christ ? It has to be recieved, just like any gift does.

Last edited by 007.5; 02-02-2010 at 10:12 AM.. Reason: add
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2010, 10:14 AM
 
303 posts, read 496,854 times
Reputation: 58
007 your right on the money the concept of evolution is a barbaric joke and any " christian " who believes it is slandering God whether knowingly or unknowingly..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-02-2010, 10:24 AM
 
Location: Frisco, TX
7,556 posts, read 11,872,231 times
Reputation: 4516
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007.5 View Post
No, it doesnt assume that. WHen God made Creation , it was in perfect working order and when he looked back on it , he declared his completed creation work : 'good, VERY good' ...and he had Adam give names to all the (fully formed and fully functioning) animals that God created . It was only after Adam and Eve rebelled against God and sin entered the world, that creation was thrown in chaos ; Gods restitutional plan is one of future redemption pertaining to the physical world where 'the lion will lay down with the lamb' and all of creation will be restored to how it was prior to sin entering the world --- one of complete harmony . It will then be a world without the effects of sin suitable for those whove gotton redeemed by Christ to spend eternity in. God didnt use the pop-culture philosophy of macro evolution when he created ....it is an affront to his character and Gods Word , and is therefore a false doctrine from the pit of Hell. I used to try and blend the two because Evolution has been so engrained into our minds along with the desire to appease the secular ' science ' of our day ; its a lucrative trap many fall into. But modern science, by nature, is in search of the answers....whereas Gods Word already knows/has it.
Ok, you've given more credit to Satan than he deserves... he deserves none.

God is not stagnant, and neither is His creation. I do not consider it blasphemy to think that He can rule over a creation that changes as forces dictate - is not man himself forced to change as His spirit invades?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top