Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 10:44 PM

257 posts, read 407,467 times

Advertisements

There's much debate over what or who created matter and space.

But what or who created nothing? Is nothing a physical property, does it exist at all? Or is it just a blank space?

If it's a blank space, what made that black space happen? Is it only our universe with the blank space? What's outside the universe?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2010, 11:06 PM

1,168 posts, read 1,235,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LZKay1 View Post

But what or who created nothing? Is nothing a physical property, does it exist at all? Or is it just a blank space?

If it's a blank space, what made that black space happen? Is it only our universe with the blank space? What's outside the universe?
There was never Nothing if God was always....but maybe to the observing entity of his/her lonely self...there was nothing to see...and so, in his/her mind, God made a opposite from what he/she saw...which was nothing...and said Let there be something...and that something went (in order to see) like this...God needed light to see into the darkness...and so he said Let there be Lights..which is another opposite of Darkness...and God resides in Darkness for he had to create light from nothings opposite...(reference Exodus 20:21) and there was light, and there was something, and there was nothing!...which are complete opposites...and God used opposites in his creations...

its not hard to understand...you just have to believe in God...who is something to believe in ...and he definetly is not nothing...and if God was before everything...then nothing never really existed!

A men?

Last edited by Sir Les; 02-04-2010 at 11:20 PM..

Old 02-04-2010, 11:12 PM

768 posts, read 942,301 times
It's complicated. An intellectually serious answer here would require a thesis, and then some, and the audience must be semi-learned in physics and astronomy.

Sorry- pretentious, I know. We've scratched the surface here; you can create "something" out of "nothing," but I'm not simply not articulate enough to try to explain what I mean by that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEZtw1yt8Kc

You can sorta start here in terms of just the generalized idea of what the structure and consistency of the world shows us.

Old 02-04-2010, 11:41 PM

50,087 posts, read 20,691,451 times
Quote:

Very good questions and I am terribly aware of a mental limitation here. I suspect that the only adequate answer wouldcome in the form of two - page mathematical formula.

However, as a kid in school, I found that, trying to imagine where the universe ended and what was beyond it, I could not imagine a material universe going on for ever, but I could just about imagine the material universe ending somewhere and just nothing beyond. I'm now a half - century older and I still haven't found a better model. I can imagine an infinite nothingness but not an infinite somethingness.

Old 02-05-2010, 01:18 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,235,446 times
Well in Math, you cannot define zero...although it is a rational number...it is not accountable for anything accountable on its own accord...

It could be positive or negitive though...
which could infulence certain other equations, and actions and or thought processes....IF We could define Zero, which is impossible for me to grasp..for Even if nothing existed...just by observing it, we pollute it with our own gravity, and mind, and presence!

That is why I said Nothing really ever existed...although God said he beheld a void...and in that void is where he resides? or outside of the void? or both, and or folded it and made the waters and EU...nothing never really existed with God, for God is, or was, or will be always coming or going.....and that means something was always in one state or another or all or nothing...and from nothing we can derive that an opposite is possible...and if it is possible then with God it is, that God was, was not, and is to come!
Now we have word of this God..is he/she/ it able to create universes to which we can reside and learn God...so we can help make more of the good that he made?= multiply it...as writen in the Bible?

He says multiply the givens, tend and keep, sow till and grow...share like God has shared all things...and what are the givens?....make more...be sinless...be good always...
Ah..."LOVE EACHOTHER AS I HAVE LOVED YOU"...all is based on this example of what God made for us....

How do we define God?....Zero or nothing is not absolute if God resides in it.
And why would anyone want to know Nothing?
Something is far more interesting!...and so God is, and he is always coming or going..in the void...keeping it from falling apart...or changing things so they stay the way they are for a lesson we are learning just how intricate and complex this universe is....is it the right universe?

Quadratic equations...and the four quadrant graphing system might be more of an answer to the Question...zero is in the center of all quadrants...we still do not know how many quadrants there are...But Jesus says he has many mansions....So I wouldn't worry about Nothing and knowing it, something is by far more interesting.

Old 02-05-2010, 03:30 AM

457 posts, read 756,665 times
Quote:

I believe this is the question that created "God/gods".
We simply cannot fathom something without a beginning. We need to remember that "time" is relative and to have a beginning would put the "beginning" in a relative place which would/could have been or will be any place (or time). (Whoa, did I lose anyone?)

IMO, no-one created nothing because something is/was always there.

In a parallel of "Sir Les", if God was there in nothing then there was never a nothing, just something we couldn't see (aware of).

Last edited by mrmikeman; 02-05-2010 at 03:39 AM.. Reason: additional info

Old 02-05-2010, 07:36 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,592,281 times
Quote:
Nothing is an absence; it's not necessary to 'create' an absence. Wherever 'something' ends--assuming that it does--on the other side of that boundary you'll find nothing.

Old 02-05-2010, 08:41 AM

3,331 posts, read 5,954,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
on the other side of that boundary you'll find nothing.
Iowa?

Ya know, this whole topic is why I can never be an atheist and choose to believe there is "something" beyond us even though I have no idea of what it is. Before the Big Bang (which I accept BTW), what was around the singularity? Was that all there was or did it exist in some sort of space? What was that space....nothing? It can kind of make your head hurt thinking about it as no matter how far you go, there is always a mystery that we do not understand.

Old 02-05-2010, 10:38 AM

4,127 posts, read 5,065,981 times
"Nothing" doesn't require creation. It doesn't exist.

Old 02-06-2010, 12:27 AM

430 posts, read 583,353 times
Last summer there was an interesting Discovery Magazine article on some new theories about how our particular universe might have been created. It amounted to the collision of parallel universes, and what was interesting is that if this is how is happened, several key outcomes predicted mathematically have been confirmed.

It concludes that there is and always has been a continuum of these collisions so that our current universe is simply one in an endless array. Without beginning or end. This sounds far better to me than the very limited concept of a God who magically appears out of nowhere.

Which means we should never close the door on any good ideas, as Christianity would have us do in order to preserve their very limited and theistic perspective.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality