Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2007, 02:53 PM

1,082 posts, read 3,773,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
But how do you know? Did God part the heavens and speak unto us? Did an angel descend and deliver the Bible to your door?

No. God inspired His Church, who codified the Bible.

You really can't find a Protestant website and expect me to take that seriously as evidence. That would be like me sending you to Wikipedia to prove the existence of Bigfoot.

Seriously though. New topic.
Yeah, why would we expect you to believe anything that is not ordained by the Roman Catholic Church???
If you read the link you would see the sources are not protestant but historical in nature. BTW why did you not respond to this in the Bible thread??

MBG
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2007, 02:58 PM

22,864 posts, read 28,118,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnightbirdgirl View Post
Yeah, why would we expect you to believe anything that is not ordained by the Roman Catholic Church???
Good question. New topic.

Quote:
If you read the link you would see the sources are not protestant but historical in nature.
No. Check the link. The guy had his mind made up going in, gathered the evidence to "prove" his point, and conveniently forgot to mention lots of history that proves him wrong.

Quote:
BTW why did you not respond to this in the Bible thread??
Just saw it.

Old 05-30-2007, 03:07 PM

2,971 posts, read 2,247,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBoet View Post
Jesus Christ founded One Church, an apostolic church. A catholic(universal) church and he prayed that we would remain one.

Funny you would mention a "man's doctrine". Ever since the protestant revolt, where men began to re-form religion to their own liking, rather than following the authority which Christ established, those "Christian" churches have splintered, and splintered, and splintered, now into the tens of thousands. There are over 20,000 Protestent denominations now. Yikes!
The Protestant's left in protest because the Cathlic Church had gone so far astray in the teachings of the Bible. Please don't twist it and say to "re-form religion to their own liking. . " that is just soooo not the facts! The Catholic Church is so deep in man made rules and dogma. . .

Old 05-30-2007, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
The Protestant's left in protest because the Cathlic Church had gone so far astray in the teachings of the Bible. Please don't twist it and say to "re-form religion to their own liking. . " that is just soooo not the facts! The Catholic Church is so deep in man made rules and dogma. . .
If you tell me that the medieval church needed reforming, I'm with you. So right.

But if you say that it justified schism... no way. There's a difference between reformation and schism.

Old 05-30-2007, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Good question. New topic.

No. Check the link. The guy had his mind made up going in, gathered the evidence to "prove" his point, and conveniently forgot to mention lots of history that proves him wrong.

Just saw it.
Wrong, why because you don't agree...

He has biblical support, and that is the best and only support any Christian really needs.
MBG

Old 05-30-2007, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Wrong, why because you don't agree...

He has biblical support, and that is the best and only support any Christian really needs.
I am obviously not going to change your mind. But just in case anyone else is reading...

Don't ever base your opinion on ANYTHING upon one source, be it a website, a book, or a tract. Verify, verify, verify. Check lots of sources, preferably from sources who disagree with each other.

Old 05-30-2007, 03:41 PM

Quote:
I am obviously not going to change your mind. But just in case anyone else is reading...

Don't ever base your opinion on ANYTHING upon one source, be it a website, a book, or a tract. Verify, verify, verify. Check lots of sources, preferably from sources who disagree with each other.
I get my Truth from the Word of God, not from mere men...I spent over 10 years studying within and without the Catholic church (I was a Catholic for almost 30 years and I loved my faith) comparing dogma, doctrines, councils and the Catechism with the Word and history before I left the Catholic church. It was not on a whim but after many years, studying in the Holy land and in Rome. The modern day Internet can be an aid in finding ones way, but should not be the sole source of study.

If you look in the testimonies thread you can see my journey...
Nothing, will ever pluck me out of my Father's hand.
MBG

Old 05-30-2007, 05:46 PM

743 posts, read 2,229,945 times
Quote:
And this is in the Word where?? It is only there if manipulated.
God is not a God of manipulation or confusion His words are Clear.
MBG
Take 100 Christians "off the street"....ask them to read a scripture passage...them ask them what it means to them; what is their personal interpretation. My guess is you'll get many different explanations. How the heck do you know who's right?

That's why Christ established a physical church on this earth. Do you think God's plan was to just leave one book for all of us to follow...and then wished us luck in trying to figure it out?

On Pentecost we celebrate the "birth" of the Church....Christ left his Holy Spirit to guide His church, the One True Church.

Peter you are Rock and on this Rock I build my Church....I give you the keys to the kingdom of Heaven...the gates of hell shall not prevail against it....whose sins you shall forgive, they are forgiven...whose sins you shall hold bound, they are held bound......So....not really a man-made doctrine after all.

Old 05-30-2007, 05:51 PM

743 posts, read 2,229,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBoet View Post
Jesus Christ founded One Church, an apostolic church. A catholic(universal) church and he prayed that we would remain one.

Funny you would mention a "man's doctrine". Ever since the protestant revolt, where men began to re-form religion to their own liking, rather than following the authority which Christ established, those "Christian" churches have splintered, and splintered, and splintered, now into the tens of thousands. There are over 20,000 Protestent denominations now. Yikes!
Godd point FBoet....Martin Luther was a man...Calvin was a man...King Henry was a man...John Smith was a man....etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc.

Old 05-30-2007, 06:17 PM

208 posts, read 505,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beth ann View Post
Godd point FBoet....Martin Luther was a man...Calvin was a man...King Henry was a man...John Smith was a man....etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc, etc.
Even most recently the dispensationalist Dr. C. I. Scofield and John Nelson Darby
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality