Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2007, 12:41 PM

3,684 posts, read 11,816,055 times

Advertisements

What do you teach your children (and these would be the older ones I guess) that learn science in school? They obviously have to know the information taught by the school in order to get a good grade, but how do you handle it when it conflicts with what you think the bible teaches? I am very curious to know what you would say to a child that is taught dinosaurs predate man in school (or substitute any other sceintific thing such as carbon dating, etc.)then come home and ask how can that be if according to the bible they were here at the same time (or whatever science you would consider false compared to the bible)? Wouldn't that be confusing to them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2007, 12:57 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,491,452 times
Actually, even in my homeschooling I have tried to present both sides and explain WHY people believe the way that they do. I believe it is necessary for them to understand both sides in order to have intelligent conversations with all sorts of people. I just think there is no reason to fear learning about it. All truth is God's truth so to speak.

And what a wonderful opportunity to have a great conversation with your child.

dawn

Old 05-29-2007, 02:51 PM

3,927 posts, read 8,668,096 times
It can be confusing. I have always taught my boys creation foundation and both boys were brought up in church. That being said, we have had the discussions about science. When my oldest started questioning me about it, I had him bring his science book home so we could look at it together. Then I asked him what he thought about what it said. He said that his teacher explained that there were people who believed what the science book said and others that believed what the Bible said, and my son told me he would stick with the Bible. His teacher did not try to dissuade any of the children from their Biblical beliefs, which is great, but not surprising because said teacher is also a christian man. Although by law it had to be taught, there was not a big deal made over it.

My youngest son is now getting to this subject and he feels the same way as my older one did. THey do have a new science teacher so I will have to play the wait and see game on how this teacher handles it. If he tries to dissuade my child from the Biblical viewpoint, I will just keep him home the days this will be taught.

Old 05-29-2007, 07:33 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,509,987 times
I think by the time my kids got into science, they already knew the creation theory from us and Sunday school and church. They also had basic science in the lower grades. They had no problem with dinosaurs predating man, because they knew God created animals before man. When they got to the chart on the evolution of man, they thought it was hilarious because it was so insane. I think if christian parents make sure their children know about God and the story in genesis, they won't be confused about the evolution of man theory. Imo we should probably worry more about them when they go off to college and are away from our influence. Boy do I remember some of the discussions I was involved after I left home

Old 05-30-2007, 07:36 AM

4,664 posts, read 8,242,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
I think by the time my kids got into science, they already knew the creation theory from us and Sunday school and church. They also had basic science in the lower grades. They had no problem with dinosaurs predating man, because they knew God created animals before man. When they got to the chart on the evolution of man, they thought it was hilarious because it was so insane. I think if christian parents make sure their children know about God and the story in genesis, they won't be confused about the evolution of man theory. Imo we should probably worry more about them when they go off to college and are away from our influence. Boy do I remember some of the discussions I was involved after I left home
This is excactly what is troubling. "they won't be confused about evolution man theory". It is important that children know about different religions and should be able to choose to follow them if they wish. But there are certain things that are known.. one of which is the FACT of evolution. How can they "know God created Dinosaurs before man"? In my OPINION teaching a child the truth is about explaining what the bible actually states about creation and asking them to reflect. I don't mean to get involved in parenting styles but c'mon.

Old 05-30-2007, 08:32 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,491,452 times
FACT of evolution???? Even the science books admit it is a THEORY!

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ian6479 View Post
This is excactly what is troubling. "they won't be confused about evolution man theory". It is important that children know about different religions and should be able to choose to follow them if they wish. But there are certain things that are known.. one of which is the FACT of evolution. How can they "know God created Dinosaurs before man"? In my OPINION teaching a child the truth is about explaining what the bible actually states about creation and asking them to reflect. I don't mean to get involved in parenting styles but c'mon.

Old 05-30-2007, 08:42 AM

3,684 posts, read 11,816,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
FACT of evolution???? Even the science books admit it is a THEORY!

Dawn
Hey you took my words...LOL But exactly.

Old 05-30-2007, 08:55 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,744,970 times
Quote:
I think THEORIES do need to be discussed, because some people believe them to be true. My children know what the Bible teaches BEFORE they take these classes.

Old 05-30-2007, 09:49 AM

13,640 posts, read 24,509,987 times
Quote:

Because God created the animals before he created manBy the way, I have posted on other threads that I do believe in evolution by adaptation, and environment..I do not believe that my descendents were "Monkeys Uncles".Also fyi my children (who may be older than you) were taught to respect all religions, and to believe in scientific proofs. They were taught to respect athiests, agnostics, wicans, muslims,etc and not to argue about religion or politics with anyone because no one wins. I think I have really good parenting skills

Old 05-30-2007, 09:55 AM

3,927 posts, read 8,668,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue62 View Post
Because God created the animals before he created manBy the way, I have posted on other threads that I do believe in evolution by adaptation, and environment..I do not believe that my descendents were "Monkeys Uncles".Also fyi my children (who may be older than you) were taught to respect all religions, and to believe in scientific proofs. They were taught to respect athiests, agnostics, wicans, muslims,etc and not to argue about religion or politics with anyone because no one wins. I think I have really good parenting skills

Um, what she said. Cause, Blue, you said it so much more nicely than I could.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality