Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2010, 11:00 PM

598 posts, read 914,645 times

Advertisements

Even theists say they don't really know there is a God or not; the only thing making them hang in there is their faith.

Now, how can atheists hate God -- God does not even exist; how can anyone hate something that doesn't exist?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2010, 11:04 PM

6,351 posts, read 9,945,208 times
I am a theist and I have no Faith: God does exist in one capacity or another. The capacity might be "simply" in my head as a metaphor for the super-ego, or as a actuall "supernatural" being. Either way, it does not matter, the religions works for me.

Anyway, anti-theist (not Atheist mind you) do hate something: Religion. Religion does exist, and some people just hate it for reasons unknown. Don't like religion? Don't practice one. Simple as that.

Old 02-17-2010, 11:05 PM

2,754 posts, read 6,080,907 times
I'm an atheist and don't hate God for the very reason you stated in your OP: you can't hate something that does not exist. And I know of none of my atheist friends who hate God either. What we hate are pushy, narrow-minded religious zealots who force their own dim views on those who have made a choice to put away invisible childhood friends and instead embrace science and reason.
Thanks for your interest, though!
Peace.

Old 02-17-2010, 11:10 PM

2,011 posts, read 3,861,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrummerBoy View Post
I'm an atheist and don't hate God for the very reason you stated in your OP: you can't hate something that does not exist. And I know of none of my atheist friends who hate God either. What we hate are pushy, narrow-minded religious zealots who force their own dim views on those who have made a choice to put away invisible childhood friends and instead embrace science and reason.
Thanks for your interest, though!
Peace.
Exactly. Who told the OP that Atheists hated god? It amazes me that any sane adult can believe in and adore some invisible thing that's out there watching every move that everyone makes at all times and created everything and is omnipresent and all powerful and on and on and on. What an amazing fairy tale. You wanna believe it? That's cool, but please don't preach to me and get down on me because I don't, that's all I ask.

Old 02-17-2010, 11:14 PM

61,290 posts, read 87,066,921 times
good post no they cant, but ex christians can hate their former church for not rubber stamping their new life style.

Old 02-17-2010, 11:30 PM

33,494 posts, read 36,970,737 times
Hate is too strong a word whether god exists or not....I can't remember ever hating anyone or anything, other than some of the hangovers I suffered through when I was young and foolish. I do dislike pushy religious people, but I don't hate them.

Old 02-18-2010, 03:32 AM

1,052 posts, read 1,641,646 times
Atheists don't hate god.

Gandhi said it best: "I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ."

Old 02-18-2010, 06:57 AM

454 posts, read 1,403,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bud235 View Post
Even theists say they don't really know there is a God or not; the only thing making them hang in there is their faith.

Now, how can atheists hate God -- God does not even exist; how can anyone hate something that doesn't exist?
Amazingly, you have a bunch of errors in the couple of lines you've managed to put together!

first of all, most Atheists 'do' know (with high certainty -- not absolute of course) that there is no god. i think you're thinking of Agnostics who as you put it "don't really know".

secondly, "hang in there by their faith"? lol well, it depends how you define "faith". if by that you mean "relying on suphisticated science instruments and years and years of scientific research" as being faith, then i guess, yes, we do rely on "faith" that there is no god. but if you think that Atheists just have "faith" that there is no god with zero proof to back it up (kinda like what christians and muslims do), then you are wrong.

and thirdly, you simply 'assume' that atheists 'hate' god. Moderator cut: deleted as rude Atheists (including myself) don't hate your god (or any of the other thousands of gods that don't exist). we would be fools to hate something that doesn't exist.....similar to hating a fictional character from some best seller book.

Moderator cut: deleted as rude

Last edited by june 7th; 02-18-2010 at 07:51 AM..

Old 02-18-2010, 07:33 PM

4,905 posts, read 5,995,522 times
Someone can't hate something they don't believe exists. Atheists believe god is imaginary, thus by definition can not hate god. It's like assuming christians hate Zeus or Athena.

Old 02-18-2010, 08:33 PM

598 posts, read 914,645 times
Very good, very good ... we are all in agreement that atheist can not possibly hate anyone's God -- because, atheists got the right answer: there is no God.

Next time, you hear someone accusing atheists being anti-God, that person must have some brain problem -- it does not even make any sense.

All good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality