Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 02:50 PM

2,827 posts, read 4,341,960 times

Advertisements

When Jesus said that "blessed are the meek for they will inherit the earth," who was he speaking of? Did he mean that the timid will ultimately be rewarded?

Btw, from the other thread, this is another example of a statement in context with the feminine principle attributed to Jesus. The masculine doesn't go around making this type of pronouncement.

Last edited by Miss Blue; 02-18-2010 at 05:06 PM.. Reason: removed your sentence about moving this thread
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2010, 06:26 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,403,283 times
Do you ever listen to the NPR program Radiolab? One episode concerned an area in Africa where a resort hotel dumped its uneaten food. This became a favorite hangout for the local baboon tribe. Soon, the next-closest baboon tribe discovered it, and sent daily raiding parties of its most aggressive males. One day, a load of contaminated meat was dumped. The local baboon tribe all died, as did the aggressive males (i.e., most of the males) from the other tribe, leaving only females and a handful of unaggressive males. The naturalist who was studying them left his assignment. Years later, he returned with his new bride and showed her where he used to work. He was astonished to find that all the members of the baboon tribe were unaggressive, including the new generation of males. He returned to study them, and discovered that males who wandered into the tribe from other tribes (as is normal for baboons) were rewarded and accepted only if they exhibited peaceful behavior, which most learned pretty quickly. It had previously been thought that male baboons are aggressive by nature, but this study indicates that aggressive behavior might be learned.

To tie in to the OP, maybe all the aggressive humans eventually will kill off one another, leaving only the meek. There's no mention in the Bible of Jesus having studied primate anthropology, but who knows?

Old 02-18-2010, 06:57 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,567,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
When Jesus said that "blessed are the meek for they will inherit the earth," who was he speaking of? Did he mean that the timid will ultimately be rewarded?
The humble will inherit the earth- contrasting with those who are in possession of it now.

Old 02-19-2010, 07:21 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,341,960 times
HonuMan, thanks for that interesting reply. I see that on the Radiolab website they have some back episodes available. I'll have to try and find that one.

shibata, I'm not quite sure what Jesus had in mind when he said the part.."shall inherit the earth." Humility is a quality that is valued over power mongering and egoism. Jesus seemed to be more focused on "the Kingdom of Heaven" (the spiritual) than he was on acquiring earthly things. I'm thinking that maybe what was meant could be said something like this: "blessed are the truly humble, for they shall gain in inner peace and joy"... or something like that. Also, pretending to be humble so that one can get there, might not do it.

Old 02-19-2010, 10:28 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,235,901 times
Yes..Live by the sword , die by the sword...The measure you give, is the measure you get...cause and effect...etc

Those who Do the will of the father, shall enter paradise....because those who sow the seeds sinlessly make EDENS a possibily in terms of truth......and share.

What cuts the beast is the word SHARE....it is untaxable!
A rather novel Idea...and the meek should know how to overgrow the government or ruling parties...

I think the people forgot what Democracy is suppose to be.

Old 02-19-2010, 11:01 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,624,668 times
I'm as meek as a mouse. I wonder what part of the earth I'll be inheriting. I hope it's somewhere with an ocean view.

Old 02-19-2010, 11:09 AM

1,243 posts, read 1,567,452 times
Quote:
shibata, I'm not quite sure what Jesus had in mind when he said the part.."shall inherit the earth." Humility is a quality that is valued over power mongering and egoism. Jesus seemed to be more focused on "the Kingdom of Heaven" (the spiritual) than he was on acquiring earthly things. I'm thinking that maybe what was meant could be said something like this: "blessed are the truly humble, for they shall gain in inner peace and joy"... or something like that. Also, pretending to be humble so that one can get there, might not do it.
Quite right, pretence won't do it. The Holy Spirit sees every last motive.

But 'inner peace and joy' cannot really be justified, because all of these 'beatitudes', as these statements are called, give inner peace and joy. Each of Jesus' statements is in two parts, the second part explaining the first. So, those who mourn will be comforted- a comforting thought, that gives inner peace and joy. Those who hunger and thirst for righteousness will be filled, i.e. will live in a righteous place unlike the present earth- another source of peace and joy, for those who do not find this world to be their home. Those who are poor in spirit, i.e. those who are contrite and repent, will possess the kingdom of heaven, because one cannot accept God's rule without giving up one's own. So one is comforted to know that one becomes a temple of the Holy Spirit, an amazing thing that gives joy.

Now the humble, those willing to be ignored or thought little of in the present world, will inherit the earth. And the word 'earth' means, it seems, exactly what it says. This has given problems- didn't Peter say that the world will be dissolved in fervent heat- yet he was there when Jesus said this about inheriting the earth? There is no alternative figurative meaning to the Greek word, as there quite often is. We have to find a hermeneutic solution outside this sentence.

And we find it here:

'But in keeping with his promise we are looking forward to a new heaven and a new earth, the home of righteousness.' 2 Pe 3:13 NIV

So Peter was listening, after all! So the saints, who humbly live 'outside the camp' in this corrupt but ephemeral world, will inherit the new, permanent land of righteousness.

And that could be soon, 'like a thief in the night'.

Old 02-20-2010, 08:56 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,235,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shibata View Post

So Peter was listening, after all! So the saints, who humbly live 'outside the camp' in this corrupt but ephemeral world, will inherit the new, permanent land of righteousness.

And that could be soon, 'like a thief in the night'.
I would like to say that this already happened in the winter of 1968 as I am witness to something coming into my window three times..."Like a thief in the night"
Which is linked to "sowing seeds sinlessly" which completes Acts 3:21.
Acts 3:21 is what the people have forgotten...a way to envoke or summon God...By doing his will and fulfilling his word...and doing the prime directive...Tending and keeping the givens...in some accounting of it being done....Even a child could do it....
It is not a burden to do...And I was tending some sick wild Birds at the time...God loves the birds, and feeds them...( Right?)

The pure of heart shall see God....and In my case, what I saw was very oddly in being as it is writen..."Like a thief in the night" Something came in my window (shadow man) three times...
The first time...I sounded the alarm too quickly, and called for my mother, and this entity left the way it came, just before my mother came into the room to see what I was fussing about...(out of a darkness that was darker than dark, that drooped over the Apartment building..and then openned the locked window to enter)..the same way it left...locking the window, and lifting up the darkness...
The second time only a few moments after my mother left the room, after checking the window was locked, and scolding me for making noise at such a late hour,...the darkness returned out side the window,...it seemed to droop over and ooz down in slow motion over the Apartment building...As I watched dillegently, and waited for the Shadow man to try again to enter...and it did...the window opened up...and the darkness entered My bedroom....and I waited for this entity to come more into the room, so as when I screamed for help this time, we would catch the intruder...But alas...when I began to scream, this entity moved back out the window in no time, the window closed, and locked, and the darkness lifted just as My mother opened the door...
Again I was verbally scolded for making noise and waking everyone up with my yelling for her to come and help...
She checked the window a second time, after my brother asked her to close the window , saying it was cold in the room..."and it was"...she checked the window again, and she said it was locked..to stop messing round, and go to sleep.
Only a few short minutes after she left the room and closed the door...the darkness returned outside, drooping down over the Apartment building and covering the windows....or so i assumed it seemed to be of that kind of nature...the blob?
The window opened, and the darkeness entered a third time..(like a thief in the night)...And I waited in my crib, standing up, wide awake...waiting for the entity to move even more into the room, more away from the window...When the entity came right up to my crib...I was ready to scream for my Mom....and when I took a breath, the shadow man shushed me, with a finger to his lips...jesturing to be silent....I did not see a face, or features, But I would say it was humaniod like in shape...way too dark to tell any features, other than it was darker than dark...almost a anti matter, or darkmatter kind of explaination...
Once I was shushed..I was unable to speak...I was them paralized and unable to move...Frozen in time....then a very odd feeling of tiredness entered my state of mind...and I was pulled into a deep sleep, almost by a force of some magnetic state......

That is my story...It is a true story in my accounting of this life i'm living.
Was it God?, or was it Satan?
For Jesus says that Satan can come as a angel of light...in this event it seemed to be a out of phaze light...a opposite light...
But it rings true to the accounting of this dark entity with Moses and the God on the mountain...or in the tent of meeting...something about the darkness being over them or in the tent..

So...as it is somethings out of the Bible, are coming true....and that means...that some truth is with the Bible book...

And so...as these things reveal themselves, you can rest asured God is coming...and jesus is coming with him soon...as soon as we do what God has asked of us....that includes tending and keeping the Garden...and doing it sinlessly according to those laws and covenants and precepts...those two actions or states must be made...to make holy ground...for god to put his foot down on the Earth.

That is why they prohibite certain plants from being sown...They don't want God coming down or Christ coming up...
because when they do...their evil bent systems, and all the evil doers suffers more woe and wrath!

Ah ha...a way to beat em back with out lifting a sword, or falling into sin with them..!

Remember all seed are Good according to God's own words...Do not profane anything God made Clean, and or called Good

Now would you put God into prison for making and growing Marijuana or anyother plant he made and grows in his Garden?

Think about it...And the Anti Eden, Anti God, Anti Christ...is very apearent in that estate being forced by the system of fools.
Putting people behind bars for sowing seeds, and or painting them, and the plants as bad?....So evil can dance in the streets...

Yes Acts 10:15 says something...

And in the same context where the line "Like a thief in the night" comes from in scripture..it says : "the pure of heart shall see God..."

Sometimes I wonder...

Old 02-20-2010, 12:54 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,048,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shibata View Post
The humble will inherit the earth- contrasting with those who are in possession of it now.
The only problem is that when it comes time to get their inheritance there won't be much worth inheriting given the current state of things.

Old 02-20-2010, 01:58 PM

28,098 posts, read 29,963,441 times
Quote:
I've always been taught that "meek," in this context, does not mean timid, but "humble" and even more specifically "teachable." Maybe someone knows the original Greek word that was translated as "meek." The evolution of the English word "meek" from what it might have meant centuries ago into what most people see it as meaning today might also shed some interesting light on the subject.

Quote:
Btw, from the other thread, this is another example of a statement in context with the feminine principle attributed to Jesus. The masculine doesn't go around making this type of pronouncement.
I don't get this "feminine principle" bit. Jesus was a man, not a woman. The fact that He may not have been some big macho type of guy doesn't say anything about His sexuality to me. To me, true masculinity is controlled strength, and there is seriously nothing masculine, in my opinion, in "macho."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality