Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 10:01 AM

22,161 posts, read 19,213,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balvenie View Post
Anecdotes are not evidence.
personal experience is the strongest evidence there is
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2010, 10:03 AM

454 posts, read 1,407,398 times
look, i'm kidding. i don't really consider you a "liar" for that story. my mom also claims to have some sort of 'psychic powers' and he's has similar dreams that you described. i just don't think someone else's personal experiences are a good type of evidence for me and people like me.
i don't doubt that we don't user nearly as much of our brain power as we potentially could and i'm sure there's a lot to be said and reseached about that....but in order to believe something like this, i would need to have repeatable occurances...and consistant.
do all of her dreams come true? if not ALL of them come true, then why not? what about the millions and billions of dreams that do NOT come true? do you simply dismiss those?
there's something to be said about coincidences too...won't you agree?

Old 02-19-2010, 10:04 AM

454 posts, read 1,407,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
personal experience is the strongest evidence there is
for 'yourself'.....not 'other people'!

Old 02-19-2010, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleenex View Post
yes, there is something to be said about coincidences, and that is, "There is no such thing as a coincedence."

Old 02-19-2010, 10:07 AM

Quote:
exactly.
each person is an authority on their own personal experience, and is never an authority on anyone else's life or experience

i can never tell anyone the "meaning" of what they experience. i can only know truly about my own experiences.

Old 02-19-2010, 10:09 AM

2,015 posts, read 3,380,275 times
Quote:
everyone has these "powers", it's just a matter of how developed they are by the person

it's not a "gift" only given to some
what varies is a person's willigness and openness to developing what every one of us has as humans

it is well-known and acknowledged that humans use only about 10%-15% of our brains; part of what we can do when we develop the rest of that capacity, includes what some call "supernatural" abilities. They are natural abilities we all have, just untapped by most people.

Old 02-19-2010, 10:20 AM

2,015 posts, read 3,380,275 times
Quote:
Quote:
look, i'm kidding. i don't really consider you a "liar" for that story. my mom also claims to have some sort of 'psychic powers' and he's has similar dreams that you described. i just don't think someone else's personal experiences are a good type of evidence for me and people like me.
i don't doubt that we don't user nearly as much of our brain power as we potentially could and i'm sure there's a lot to be said and reseached about that....but in order to believe something like this, i would need to have repeatable occurances...and consistant.
do all of her dreams come true? if not ALL of them come true, then why not? what about the millions and billions of dreams that do NOT come true? do you simply dismiss those?
What difference does it make if not all dreams come true?? This woman had several dreams come true (one was that her grandfather had died). These occur often to many people. There are many occurences when people are filled with a sense of doom and sadness at a certain time of day, and find out later that a loved one had died at the same time.

I don't really believe in coincidences either.

Old 02-19-2010, 10:44 AM

Quote:
it was a coincidence that the earth quake happened there and those people died. if you don't believe in 'coincidences' as you claim you don't, you're saying that 'no, that's no coincidence. it was 'meant to' happen' which to me is eejit.

"coincidence" is a handy way to avoid dealing with anything that makes someone uncomfortable or ill at ease.

"coincedence" is when someone is too lazy or apathetic or fearful or delve deeper, to broaden their understanding

"coincedence" is the arrogance and unwillingness to ever revisit or revise ideas or beliefs that may be challenged.

"coincedence" is saying someone already knows everything so there is no need to open ever to any of life's mystery, wonder, or majesty

"coincedence" is also a way of avoiding having to take responsibility for your own life, and any situations or circumstances that arise in your life. it is a way of staying a victim.

thanks but no thanks.

Old 02-20-2010, 04:53 PM

3,580 posts, read 6,303,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coosjoaquin View Post
I've heard of a lot of people over the years who say that god or some other being has talked to them and given them supernatural abilities. Healing touch, the ability to see auras around people, being able to tell the future, astral projection...ect.ect.

What are your thoughts on this? Do you believe this happens? Do you claim to have supernatural powers?
I believe in God and what you are describing sounds like the work of the Holy Spirit. Now don't get me wrong, people do lie and say they have super powers and abilities when they don't.

I don't claim to have any powers, any abilities, I am human. When I say the work of the Holy Spirit, I mean like something like what I have seen others that may have a gift of healing, gift of dicernment, etc. When I say the gift of healing, the person is not healing anyone, it is God healing through them. My Pastor has said things to me so many times, that God only knew, things I only spoke to God about and God revealed that to my Pastor, which that is how he knew.

So, I believe that God can give use someone to do His work that is supernatural, because God is doing the work, He is only using the person. This is what I believe, you may not. I have heard God's voice, but I am not someone who have powers. God speaks and allowed for me to hear His voice. So, once again, people will believe or not believe.

Old 02-21-2010, 08:14 AM

33,532 posts, read 37,132,711 times
Quote:
everyone has these "powers", it's just a matter of how developed they are by the person

it's not a "gift" only given to some
what varies is a person's willigness and openness to developing what every one of us has as humans

it is well-known and acknowledged that humans use only about 10%-15% of our brains; part of what we can do when we develop the rest of that capacity, includes what some call "supernatural" abilities. They are natural abilities we all have, just untapped by most people.
Yes that is well known, but it is only a myth.. Neuroscience For Kids - 10% of the Brain Myth ..We use all of our brains.....I any case I missed out I guess, because I have no special powers or insight that cannot be accounted for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality