Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 05:28 AM

2,630 posts, read 4,933,797 times

Advertisements

I've heard of a lot of people over the years who say that god or some other being has talked to them and given them supernatural abilities. Healing touch, the ability to see auras around people, being able to tell the future, astral projection...ect.ect.

What are your thoughts on this? Do you believe this happens? Do you claim to have supernatural powers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2010, 05:42 AM

2,015 posts, read 3,374,838 times
I don't believe in a single supreme being, but believe that it's likely that all living beings, people, animals, plants, etc, have a spirit/soul/energy/whatever that combined make up a divinity. I am not an atheist because there are too many things that can't be explained by science, such as esp, etc etc. We all have psychic abilities but as children we are told we are just imagining things, so we learn to dismiss it as supernatural rubbish. But, yes, we all have it if we choose to pay attention.

How is it animals can sense things that humans rarely do? It's not just a better sense of hearing, they sense fear in people, they sense who is a good person and who is bad....

Old 02-19-2010, 06:05 AM

454 posts, read 1,405,674 times
My only super power is 'skepticism' at what people say without any evidence for support!

Old 02-19-2010, 06:07 AM

457 posts, read 755,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coosjoaquin View Post
What are your thoughts on this? Do you believe this happens? Do you claim to have supernatural powers?
I feel we all have abilities that may be more pronounced than others. In the same way someone can have a stronger sense of smell or better hearing, there could be not so obvious senses. People are trained into not using their natural senses and IMO when an individual does show some sort of natural ability society calls it "Supernatural”.
“Do I have ….” I don’t think so but some would say I do; I get gut feelings and react to them. This “gut feeling” has been quit a gift for me but if all I am doing is sharpening my skill of observation than we can see what this “gut feeling” really is (Nothing more than being observant.)
I can dress up any extra ordinary skill and call it “Supernatural” powers but IMO they’re just honed skills.

Oh, I almost forgot;
Did God give me these skills? I don't know, could be!

Old 02-19-2010, 06:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kleenex View Post
My only super power is 'skepticism' at what people say without any evidence for support!
Ah, you mean like all the police departments who use psychics to find out where a hostage is hidden or a dead body is buried? Or like people who have predictive dreams? Known quite a few people like that myself. The most memorable was a good friend who said she dreamed her husband was badly hurt. She told me about this dream and was worried as her dreams had come true before. A few days later she heard the university helicopter had flown someone into the hospital. She knew it was her husband. And it was. He was badly hurt in a car crash.

Old 02-19-2010, 07:34 AM

2,828 posts, read 4,330,125 times
In real life I've never met anyone that made those claims. I do come across stuff like that at the supermarket, by the checkout stand where they keep the tabloids. And occasionally on tv on one of those programs that makes those kinds of claims.

As for myself, there's nothing extraordinary about me, absolutely nothing, just a very plain person.

Old 02-19-2010, 08:50 AM

1,052 posts, read 1,645,010 times
Think those people need to either lay off the chemically processed food or stay away from microwave radiation...

Old 02-19-2010, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Lune View Post
Think those people need to either lay off the chemically processed food or stay away from microwave radiation...
Which people are you referring to?

Old 02-19-2010, 09:23 AM

310 posts, read 588,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yankinscotland View Post
Gee, thanks, but I know what skepticism is. I was referring to evidence.
Anecdotes are not evidence.

Old 02-19-2010, 09:59 AM

22,011 posts, read 19,117,250 times
everyone has these "powers", it's just a matter of how developed they are by the person

it's not a "gift" only given to some
what varies is a person's willigness and openness to developing what every one of us has as humans

it is well-known and acknowledged that humans use only about 10%-15% of our brains; part of what we can do when we develop the rest of that capacity, includes what some call "supernatural" abilities. They are natural abilities we all have, just untapped by most people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality