Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2010, 09:45 AM

1,736 posts, read 2,105,826 times

Advertisements

Was the animal genocide of Noah’s day justified?

Many Christian and Catholics justify the killing of the human population of Noah’s day, including the innocent children and babies as a judgment against an evil population. They were evil children and babies and are to be fodder for hell along with their parents.
I recognize that the genocide of man has been argued forever and believers have no problem with that particular genocide and I do not want to rehash that particular issue. All one need do is recognize that the notion of free will did not exist back then for the population and move on.
Having killed many animals, even by hand, and not being bothered by it, I can tell you that at a certain number, even my hard stomach and heart begins to be upset and I have to take a break from the slaughter of these food animals.
I just cannot find any justification for the slaughter of the earths animal population at the time of Noah. Some say that animals have souls the same as humans but frankly I cannot see God putting souls into what He has said is meat to us.
It cannot be said then that animals are evil because they cannot discern good and evil. Only man and God can do such.
The only reason I can think of for the slaughter and genocide of the animals is then cruelty. God could have easily spared all of them and did not.
Deuteronomy 32:4
He is the Rock, his work is perfect: for all his ways are judgment: a God of truth and without iniquity, just and right is he.

[SIZE=2]Humans aside.
Was God just being cruel to His perfectly created animals or is there some other motivator that I am missing?

No adding to scripture now.

Regards
DL
[/SIZE]
Attached Thumbnails
Was the animal genocide of Noah’s day justified?-fabn84l.jpg  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2010, 10:54 AM

9,616 posts, read 12,916,589 times
Do not worry, my son! Do not go forth with a heavy heart!

Given that this entire myth was intended as an educational fable, you don't have to worry about it. Certainly a God that could "Poof", create the entire universe, every sub-atomic particle of it, in just seven days, would hardly have to create such a messy and impossible means of cleaning things up. And coincidentally kill off not only all the land animals but also all the aquatic life forms, and all the terrestrial and aquatic vegetation so necessary for all the grazers and browsers who disembarked off that tub after the flood magically subsided..... Groan.

This entire story is the result of a scientifically illiterate mind, one that had not the slightest idea of the complexity and interdependence of all of this planet's life forms. So obviously they left all that stuff out, and it shows. After all, how could you write about penguins or polar bears on board if you couldn't even imagine such beasts?

They weren't exactly well traveled worldly authors, now were they. There was no Discovery Channel to educate them. Likewise no basic high school biology class. Just their terrified and vivid imaginations. And a blank tablet to write up a fearsome fable.

Old 02-19-2010, 11:07 AM

1,289 posts, read 2,125,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatest I am View Post

...All one need do is recognize that the notion of free will did not exist back then for the population and move on....

Huh?

Old 02-19-2010, 11:08 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,623,378 times
If animal rights activists like PETA or even the Humane Society had existed back in those days God would have sparked the biggest protest in history (at least until the protesters were all drowned).

Old 02-19-2010, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rifleman View Post
Do not worry, my son! Do not go forth with a heavy heart!

Given that this entire myth was intended as an educational fable, you don't have to worry about it. Certainly a God that could "Poof", create the entire universe, every sub-atomic particle of it, in just seven days, would hardly have to create such a messy and impossible means of cleaning things up. And coincidentally kill off not only all the land animals but also all the aquatic life forms, and all the terrestrial and aquatic vegetation so necessary for all the grazers and browsers who disembarked off that tub after the flood magically subsided..... Groan.

This entire story is the result of a scientifically illiterate mind, one that had not the slightest idea of the complexity and interdependence of all of this planet's life forms. So obviously they left all that stuff out, and it shows. After all, how could you write about penguins or polar bears on board if you couldn't even imagine such beasts?

They weren't exactly well traveled worldly authors, now were they. There was no Discovery Channel to educate them. Likewise no basic high school biology class. Just their terrified and vivid imaginations. And a blank tablet to write up a fearsome fable.
I agree but you mention that " this entire myth was intended as an educational fable,".

If so WTF was it trying to teach?

If you have the chance to take seven friends with you and you believe in an alien God, then you are justified in the murder of the whole world?

I would not teach such to my children.

Regards
DL

Old 02-19-2010, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astron1000 View Post
Huh?
If man had free will, it would have said I want to live.

God ignored free will in the murder of all but 8 plus a few animals.

One must assume that there was no free will or that god just clawed back the free will that he supposedly gave man.

Here is dominion. Now I take it back.
Quite the game for a God to play.

Regards
DL

Last edited by kris; 01-10-2014 at 07:13 AM..

Old 02-19-2010, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
If animal rights activists like PETA or even the Humane Society had existed back in those days God would have sparked the biggest protest in history (at least until the protesters were all drowned).
I would be there with them for that.

Regards
DL

Old 02-19-2010, 11:58 AM

1,243 posts, read 1,567,313 times
Quote:
The story of Noah is prophetic allegory. The flood is the destruction of the unsaved. The ark is Christ. Noah and his family are the saved, who do nothing at all, except stay inside the ark. It is a parable about justication by faith in the perfect ransom of Christ, without works that condemn.

Old 02-19-2010, 12:03 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,125,816 times
Quote:
If man had free will, it would have said I want to live.

God ignored free will in the murder of all but 8 plus a few animals.

One must assume that there was no free will or that god just clawed back the free will that he supposedly gave man.

Here is dominion. Now I take it back.
Quite the game for a God to play.

Regards
DL
OK, I get what you mean. Remember though, it wasn't just a "few animals" if we are to believe the nutjob literalists who think it was a pair (or seven) of every creature on earth.

Old 02-19-2010, 12:16 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,323,433 times
genocide: the deliberate and systematic extermination of a national, racial, political, or cultural group.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality