Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 11:07 PM

63,367 posts, read 39,639,230 times

Advertisements

Never.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2013, 11:15 PM

17,574 posts, read 45,971,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
People aren't ashamed of being naked. What their ashamed of (and should be) is being naked in public. Nobody wants to see your body. Do society a favor and cover it up.
Speak for yourself.

Old 05-29-2013, 09:05 AM

2,826 posts, read 2,353,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Disgust and shame are evolved responses that tend to steer us away from things that are bad for us like rotten meat or poisonous substances. It has gotten attached to social contexts in forms such as modesty. I think that modesty and the wearing of clothing are eminently practical adaptations. Modesty allows there to be some mystery left in sexuality and also creates healthy boundaries around one's sexuality. And as to the utility of wearing clothing, just try to take a stroll in the woods or especially the desert without some clothes on. Or go outside in the winter.
No. Any shame should be used productively, to for instance improve your body.

I speak from experience, having been a crossdresser. Clothing fixation is aberrant, and contrary to what people naturally should be motivated by.

I myself mentioned that clothing should be worn for comfort in weather.

But it should not be used to try to separate people into genders and social classes.

Old 05-29-2013, 12:04 PM

50,079 posts, read 20,474,239 times
That's the great thing about nudity: no cover -up.

Old 06-04-2013, 03:48 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,339,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
So here's my question, since we all know that a baby is incapable of understanding the very concept of being naked is there some point in the development of a baby to an adult from a religious perspective in which an individual should suddenly realize that they should be ashamed of being naked?
There is no "should" about it. There is no reason I know of to be ashamed of nudity. None at all.

As we grow older we do begin to compare ourselves to others more and more and shame about nudity is likely partially connected to not wanting to be compared to others in such ways. But again there is no "Should" about this... it simply is the way it is.

I have seen children of all ages happily shed clothing at the drop of a hat (pardon the pun) with not a thought about it. It is the adults that rush to have them re-cover themselves. I remember for example my niece running out around age 11 to the outdoor garden pool shedding clothing as she ran until she arrived at the pool naked. Her father running after her to cover her up because there was visitors there. But why? She did not care... why should anyone else.

Sometimes I wonder if people are just desperate to forget the fact that we are just another animal. We want to see ourselves as something more. Cultured, above, better. Nudity reminds us of our animal existence. As such everything from nudity to women breast feeding in public causes no end of offence and horror in people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
What their ashamed of (and should be) is being naked in public. Nobody wants to see your body. Do society a favor and cover it up.
Depends how you define "public" as there are clearly many "public" places where the above is simply not true.

However it is still worth asking oneself where the above mentality comes from. If you do not want to see something then simply do not look at it. Take breast feeding in public threads for example. We often see people storming into them going "I do not want to see that! So cover it up or do it only at home".

So what? If you do not want to see it... do not look. No one is forcing you to.

Old 06-04-2013, 12:15 PM

561 posts, read 1,125,186 times
funny thing nakedness is a cultural thing and the closer to the equator you get, the less clothes, if any , those original cultures wore. the anglo european domination of the world basically forced its style s and way of life on many peoples and now many have these sensibilities that they never had

Old 06-04-2013, 12:59 PM

27,870 posts, read 29,674,389 times
I'm really not quite sure where you're going with this, but in my opinion, there is no specific age at which we should be ashamed to be naked. On the other hand, there probably is an age when most of us would feel uncomfortable being seen naked walking through our neighborhoods, don't you?

Old 06-04-2013, 07:57 PM

18,183 posts, read 16,750,104 times
120 and NOT before.

Old 06-05-2013, 12:05 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,181,235 times
I have known people who were atheists who would never be seen walking around naked. I don't think religion has as much to do with as the fact in our society nudity = sex. We are conditioned to think that post-puberty, if you are naked its either to shower or to have sex. I think that is starting to change though as social nudity is becoming more common among teenagers and twentysomethings. However, it is still awkward in your late teens to run around the house naked in front of your parents and siblings if they aren't also naked. I've heard of guys who did it, but it's not something I would have ever dared to do and most people I know, even very liberal people, wouldn't either. People who do it, at least that I know, do it more for the shock factor. There is also sanitary reasons to wear clothes. A lot of nudists carry towels to sit on for that reason.

Old 06-05-2013, 01:09 AM

793 posts, read 274,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I'm really not quite sure where you're going with this, but in my opinion, there is no specific age at which we should be ashamed to be naked. On the other hand, there probably is an age when most of us would feel uncomfortable being seen naked walking through our neighborhoods, don't you?
bahahahaha!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality