U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-21-2010, 05:27 PM

4,719 posts, read 3,806,273 times
Default Virgin Islands legends and a thought on a question about the Jesus myth

Anyone who has lived on the U.S Virgin Islands as an elementary school student would remember the legends of the cowfoot woman (St.Thomas) and the goatfoot woman (St. Croix). What was interesting was that due to the passing down of the legends we ALL believed they existed even though none of us ever saw either of them nor did our ancestors. In fact, there were moments when one of our peers would point to a spot in the bushes claiming to see one of these fine creatures. They would say:

"Look right over there! You don't see her?" while having a hand on our shoulder.

We would look on intently to the spot where they pointed to until we believed we saw her too especially if the person insisted, "You don't see her right there?!?"

We would then meet other peers along the way and tell them we saw the cowfoot/goatfoot woman and reinforce the fear that was already there amongst the children of the community.

Despite this, none of this stopped us from passing on the legends to our children even though we arrived at an age where we knew the stories were nonsense. We often did it to scare our children into acting straight and avoiding wandering off into bushes or into other strange places that we thought was dangerous to them. While there was some good in this, it came down to controlling them while they were out of our presence. The fear factor which created the control was based on two creatures none of us ever saw.

Do you see a parallel here between the mythical story of Jesus, Christianity (religion in general) and the method of control?
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2010, 06:12 PM

12,123 posts, read 5,968,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
Anyone who has lived on the U.S Virgin Islands as an elementary school student would remember the legends of the cowfoot woman (St.Thomas) and the goatfoot woman (St. Croix). What was interesting was that due to the passing down of the legends we ALL believed they existed even though none of us ever saw either of them nor did our ancestors. In fact, there were moments when one of our peers would point to a spot in the bushes claiming to see one of these fine creatures. They would say:

"Look right over there! You don't see her?" while having a hand on our shoulder.

We would look on intently to the spot where they pointed to until we believed we saw her too especially if the person insisted, "You don't see her right there?!?"

We would then meet other peers along the way and tell them we saw the cowfoot/goatfoot woman and reinforce the fear that was already there amongst the children of the community.

Despite this, none of this stopped us from passing on the legends to our children even though we arrived at an age where we knew the stories were nonsense. We often did it to scare our children into acting straight and avoiding wandering off into bushes or into other strange places that we thought was dangerous to them. While there was some good in this, it came down to controlling them while they were out of our presence. The fear factor which created the control was based on two creatures none of us ever saw.

Do you see a parallel here between the mythical story of Jesus, Christianity (religion in general) and the method of control?
i see the big goatfoot woman here on st croix all the time,, please stay out of the bushes the goatfoot woman is more aggressive now, she eats children when they are still alive nothing like a little scare tactic to keep the sheeple in check!!!!

Old 02-21-2010, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruxan View Post
i see the big goatfoot woman here on st croix all the time,, please stay out of the bushes the goatfoot woman is more aggressive now, she eats children when they are still alive nothing like a little scare tactic to keep the sheeple in check!!!!
You would think after all these years, both of them would be dead. I guess they are eternal too.

Old 02-21-2010, 10:07 PM

94 posts, read 106,432 times
Quote:
... Do you see a parallel here between the mythical story of Jesus, Christianity (religion in general) and the method of control?
I don't think any of us can really know if it is the truth or a mythical story. So, someone like you who definitively says that it didn't happen is just as ignorant as someone who blindly believes it did happen, in my opinion.

Old 02-21-2010, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago_Illini_26 View Post
I don't think any of us can really know if it is the truth or a mythical story. So, someone like you who definitively says that it didn't happen is just as ignorant as someone who blindly believes it did happen, in my opinion.
Ah...but I am one of those non-Christians that actually believes Jesus existed. All the bells and whistles about him being born of a virgin, born perfect, son of god, rose from the dead and is now god or was always god jazz is what I am referring to as mythical.

Old 02-22-2010, 01:30 PM

815 posts, read 815,330 times
Quote:

It
http://www.city-data.com/blogs/blog1...xpedition.html

Old 02-22-2010, 01:47 PM

3,334 posts, read 3,223,011 times
Quote:
Anyone who has lived on the U.S Virgin Islands as an elementary school student would remember the legends of the cowfoot woman (St.Thomas) and the goatfoot woman (St. Croix).
Are they like the "duppies" of Jamaica?

Old 02-22-2010, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullback32 View Post
Are they like the "duppies" of Jamaica?
You really keep up with Jamaica, huh? LOL

Well technically no. What Jamaicans call duppy, we call Jumbie. Both are carryovers from the African motherland.

I know Jamaica very well as they have a similar culture to mine and I have been there some 20 times or so.

Old 02-22-2010, 03:59 PM

3,334 posts, read 3,223,011 times
Quote:
You really keep up with Jamaica, huh? LOL

Well technically no. What Jamaicans call duppy, we call Jumbie. Both are carryovers from the African motherland.

I know Jamaica very well as they have a similar culture to mine and I have been there some 20 times or so.
LOL...yeah, I guess so, huh? Blame it on reggae. Once I fell in love with the music, I felt obligated to understand it. Music tells a tale and explains a culture. Too many people do not take time to understand what the music is telling them. If you understand the music, you better understand the people...and that makes us all get along better.

Last edited by Fullback32; 02-22-2010 at 04:17 PM..

Old 02-22-2010, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullback32 View Post
LOL...yeah, I guess so, huh? Blame it on reggae. Once I fell in love with the music, I felt obligated to understand it. Music tells a tale and explains a culture. Too many people do not take time to understand what the music is telling them. If you understand the music, you better understand the people...and that makes us all get along better.
Very true.

Ever been down to the land of wood and water?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality