Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2007, 09:05 AM

7,915 posts, read 18,623,378 times

Advertisements

Alpha wrote:
Quote:
I'm checking my pulse here because I'm pretty sure I agree with you. And since this is such a rare occasion, I'm sure I must be dreaming!!
I'm glad I'm sitting down! I'm in agreement with Alpha.
And speaking of my hotbutton issue, child predators and how we deal with them, how many of you have checked out the websites that are available in many states that show how many there actually are? In Arizona we show a photograph of the individual, give their address and categorize them by how dangerous they are. I have a man who's in his middle 60's who's living just a short distance from my house who's a child molester. There are thousands and thousands of these people who've commited a crime but there're out here living among us and many of them are in the category of highest risk and are expected to offend again. Why are they free in the first place? I don't think my idea of executing the worst of them is extreme at all, I think it's the most responsible course of action.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2007, 09:13 AM

2,800 posts, read 10,008,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MontanaGuy View Post
Let me clarify a few things about my personal hotbutton issue. We're always finding cases where someone's been in prison for years and then suddenly they proven innocent by DNA. I would also like to see a change in how the death penalty is used. I don't think it should be common like it is in Texas and I do think it's possible that we may have executed people who are innocent. I think there should be another level of guilt that is beyond a reasonable double when we're talking about the death penalty. It needs to be set at a much higher level and include more than eyewitness testimony which is notorious for being wrong. My point is that the molestation of children needs to be looked at as a much more serious crime than it is today and the death penalty would be appropriate in many of these cases in my opinion.
I would rather not go too much into my "religious" hot buttons...been there, done that, and I now try to stay far away from going there as it only leaves hostility, hurt feelings and the sense of "intoloerance". However, I agree with you wholeheartedly about child molestors or any other crimes committed against children!
I am all for captial punishment! Why should the tax payers have to keep supporting these lunatics? The prisons are already over crowded and we have to keep paying for more prisons in order to house them .
BUT, on the flip side to letting the jury or judge be the one to "flip the switch", I think it would be MUCH more APPROPRIATE to allow the victim's family to be the ones to flip it! If the family is not willing participants, then I am all for allowing the prisoners to execute justice.
Even though I am a Christian and believe in the New Testament...I do also still believe in the Old Testament "an eye for an eye"...

I honestly cannot believe that people like Andrea Yates and some of these other child killers (as well as child molestors) are still freely walking about the prisons...I would have thought that the prisoners would have taken over where the courts screwed up!

Old 06-01-2007, 09:17 AM

3,684 posts, read 11,815,454 times
Quote:
What troubles me more than anything else in society is the fact that even though the great majority of citizens are decent and law abiding we still allow child predators the freedom to have more and more victims. When they are caught their sentences are often ridiculously lenient and soon they're out on parole and they're doing it again. If we're a just and free society how can we allow this to happen? I believe that when an individual molests a child and is convicted that the death penalty should be an alternative for the jury to consider. I don't believe these individuals can be treated and that has been shown time and time again. I would also remove the statute of limitations for the crime of rape as a few states have done.
I would have to agree with you here this is definitely one of our biggest social issues right now. But I do not support the death penalty in any case, I however have no problems locking someone up to protect society. So I would advocate life terms instead. There are many other offenses that could be added to this list and the judicial and prison systems could definitely use a lot of work. How come we can spend a million bazillion dollars on fighting for other countries but can't spend money to protect our own society? Makes no sense to me.

Old 06-01-2007, 09:46 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,490,650 times
A winter break has never been between semesters. The end of semester one is end of January/beginning of Feb. The start of the new semester is always Feb. in a traditional calendar school.

How is this a misunderstanding? If winter break should fall between semesters then Christmas is the wrong time for it.

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADVentive View Post
I don't see how it being or not being a federal holiday relates to whether there would be school or not. Most schools take a winter break between semesters that makes them off over Christmas, and I don't think that would change. Columbus Day is a federal holiday - are your kids off school for it? Veterans Day? I think that this argument always ends up as a big misunderstanding between the relationship between federal holidays and days off work/school - which is to say that they are not really very related!

Old 06-01-2007, 10:23 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,925,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
A winter break has never been between semesters. The end of semester one is end of January/beginning of Feb. The start of the new semester is always Feb. in a traditional calendar school.

How is this a misunderstanding? If winter break should fall between semesters then Christmas is the wrong time for it.

Dawn
Sorry, that's not my experience. I didn't realize they did it so differently in other places. We always ended the semester in December, had break over Christmas, and then started the new semester in January. We did it that way in college too. We also had mid-winter break for a week in Feb, and spring break for a week around Easter (even though it is not a federal holiday) when I was in school, in addition to the week break around Christmas. Either way, there is no reason why school needs to be in or out based on federal holidays. That is the misunderstanding.

Old 06-01-2007, 11:33 AM

646 posts, read 1,610,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post

Dawn
Depends on the area. I have seen it both ways.

Old 06-01-2007, 12:45 PM

508 posts, read 1,673,491 times
Quote:
Alpha wrote:

And speaking of my hotbutton issue, child predators and how we deal with them, how many of you have checked out the websites that are available in many states that show how many there actually are? In Arizona we show a photograph of the individual, give their address and categorize them by how dangerous they are. I have a man who's in his middle 60's who's living just a short distance from my house who's a child molester. There are thousands and thousands of these people who've commited a crime but there're out here living among us and many of them are in the category of highest risk and are expected to offend again. Why are they free in the first place? I don't think my idea of executing the worst of them is extreme at all, I think it's the most responsible course of action.
Stay seated MG. I agree with you as well. I never thought that would happen.

Old 06-01-2007, 12:48 PM

1,082 posts, read 3,779,844 times
I would say, politically...Illegal Immigration, Same Sex Marriage, and Abortion.
Not necessarily in that order
As far as religion, false doctrines.

MBG

Old 06-01-2007, 12:52 PM

13,640 posts, read 24,507,948 times
Montana and Britt,,You can bet that I know where they live!! I go on our state police sex offenders site every week and look for any new ones. I know where they live in this area

Old 06-01-2007, 12:54 PM

646 posts, read 1,610,568 times
Quote:
Alpha wrote:

Well, I will break with Montana, Alpha and Brittz. I am simply against capital punishment. Period. I am ok with really harsh, long, lock-them-away-throw-away-the-key punishments for child molesters, but I will stop short of death.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality