Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2010, 09:28 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,928,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
Open minded: "I have experienced God"
Close minded: "I don't believe you"

Those don't even make sense.

Open minded:, "I'm listening"

Close minded: "lalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalLALALALALALALA !"

Belief or experience have nothing to do with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2010, 09:35 AM

310 posts, read 588,981 times
Quote:
when someone sees life as flat, and lives life as flat, then there is no nuance, no richness, no depth

take light for instance, is it a wave? is it a particle? scientists tell us it is both! sometimes one, sometimes the other. can't they agree on anything? if not, then everything they say is is ridiculous
Take water for instance. Is it a liquid? Is it a solid? Is it a gas? Scientists tell us it is sometimes one, sometimes another. Can't they agree on anything?

Old 02-26-2010, 09:42 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,580,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balvenie View Post
Take water for instance. Is it a liquid? Is it a solid? Is it a gas? Scientists tell us it is sometimes one, sometimes another. Can't they agree on anything?

Science is by its very essence, indefinite and adaptable to new findings.

Old 02-26-2010, 09:50 AM

310 posts, read 588,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade52 View Post
Science is by its very essence, indefinite and adaptable to new findings.
Uh, yeah...wasn't that what I was implying through the judicious use of sarcasm?

Old 02-26-2010, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Uh, yeah...wasn't that what I was implying through the judicious use of sarcasm?

My sarcasm detector isn't working all that well today.

Old 02-26-2010, 10:28 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,699,221 times
Quote:
when someone sees life as flat, and lives life as flat, then there is no nuance, no richness, no depth

take light for instance, is it a wave? is it a particle? scientists tell us it is both! sometimes one, sometimes the other. can't those pesky scientists agree on anything? if not, well then everything they say is is suspect and ridiculous and hogwash, obviously they are wishy-washy

no, the limitation is not in the scientists describing light, or the people who explore the world of spirit, those are rich, detailed, complex, exciting, magnificient worlds to explore. The limitation (or making sense of seeming contradictions) is with the limited understanding of the person seeking to grasp the concept. Big subject + small minds = limited understanding. As we grow in our understanding.....(those of us who are willing to grow that is, the first obstacle to get over, is to get over the arrogant infantile notion we already know everything) (a close second obstacle would be the petty bullying and ridicule of anyone who understands or experiences something we don't, by calling them names and labeling them as idiots)

....if we are able to tackle those obstacles, which have nothing to do with intelligence and everything to do with arrogance; nothing to do with knowledge and everything to do with an attitude of willingness to be open, to explore, to learn; then we are able to begin to grasp more of any rich complex subject, whether it is calculus or spirit or medicine or whatever.

in addition language and words themselves are limited, so to try to use a limited tool to describe or express an experience or concept that is beyond words, has its drawbacks. Some things (like falling in love, like feelings of rapture) require an experience of them, words never do them justice, reading about joy is not the same as feeling joy; and your experience of joy were you to try and describe it may be very different from mine when i describe it.

in general, people who rely heavily or solely on intellect and the physical world, are the same people who are squeamish and uncomfortable with exploring or even acknowledging the non-physical world of emotion, of feeling, of intuition, of spirit.

(and even when I was an atheist smug in my superiority and arrogance, there was a part of me that had to wonder and question, and ask, and yes acknowledge....surely people like Martin Luther King, like Gandhi, like Gautama Buddha, like the Baal Shem Tov, like the Dalai Lama must know something that I don't.)
Super!

I was gonna ravage the champs more, but I don't see any need anymore

This is what this thread actually stands for:
Atheism made stupid for the theist.

Certainly, you guys can do petter, LMAO.

This thread failed

Old 02-26-2010, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
Super!

This thread failed

Yet somehow you felt compelled to post...

Old 02-26-2010, 10:39 AM

19,012 posts, read 29,699,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade52 View Post
Yet somehow you felt compelled to post...
The original post was clearly stupid. Stuff that the atheist says is intellectual garbage, while it insinuates that the theist is far more stupid.

I called out on the poster to explain if he truly understands the physics behind what he posted about so sumptuously.

It's just another of those SPAM forwards and he brought it here to covertly attack the religious folks, in a forum where it's a global parameter among the bogus Darwinists and googletons that theists have intellectual capabilities comparable only to oysters and fresh water mussels

If someone's flashing his intellect on the face of the religious people, then come out of hiding and let's have a discussion on physics, science and evolution.

Obviously, Result = Failure.

Next thread (try not to get embarrassed)

Old 02-26-2010, 11:08 AM

22,122 posts, read 19,179,975 times
Quote:
i love you balvenie! tried to rep you but gotta wait

Old 02-26-2010, 11:09 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,928,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post

If someone's flashing his intellect on the face of the religious people, then come out of hiding and let's have a discussion on physics, science and evolution.
Are you really calling out the atheists on this site for not discussing science?

That's a pretty high horse you're ridin' there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality