Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 07:54 AM

415 posts, read 610,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
So why do some Christians want to put so much faith and trust in the government to promote Christianity? Are the nation's churches really doing such a poor job at that they need to run to government for help?
First, they aren't genuine Christians, dude. They are phonies and counterfeits.

Second, their religion is so corrupt and impotent that they can't sell it on it's own merits. Therefore, they seek to enlist the power of the state to propagate their pathetic view of God and our duties thereto.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2007, 04:26 PM

692 posts, read 1,732,238 times
There should be a seperation between churh and state. The government is in place to serve every citizen. Someone elected to public office should look after the needs of everyone he represents. When religion and politics mix they are both corrupted. My pastor once said that we can not legislate morality.
As Christians we should live the lives we want others to follow. We are to love God. We must also love our neighbor. Because God is love. When we do this we can have unity in our faith. When we start choosing sides and demonizing people who are not like us we disappoint God. He loves the sinner as He loves the saint. We should praying for that person not trying to get politicians elected. We should be reaching out to those in need, not going to fund raisers. Our faith and how we live our lives should make God visible to the world. Politics has no place in that.

Old 07-25-2007, 04:34 PM

692 posts, read 1,732,238 times
George Bush and others like him that play on people's faith digust me. They claim to moral Christians but their lives don't match up to their words. Lying to the country, abusing power, and ignoring the poor are not Christian values. But Bush and his cronies have thrown money at some churches. This is when the some ministers start telling their congregation who to vote for and what issues are important.

Old 07-25-2007, 04:41 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,185,973 times
The separation should be between the North and South. Bring back the Confererate States of America! Please!
This way maybe both sides of the church/state issue could be satisfied.
The South, with its Southern Baptists could include the church as a legal part of government. The state could also abolish all political parties except for conservatives, the state could monitor everybody's mail, phone calls, e-mail,
the state could re-write a new constitution as the Religious Rights wants it, the state could arrest people without being charged or given a trial by jury, the state could censor the media, allowing only government approved items to be reported, the state could build prison camps on its own soil to detain anyone they want to detain, etc., etc.
Please bring back the idea of the Confederacy!

Old 07-25-2007, 07:54 PM

67 posts, read 228,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
Just a question for those for and against the separation. How far do you think it needs to go? What about things that have been, such as a cross, in the same spot for 100 years? Does it just now offend someone and has not in the last 100 years, or do you think its becasue there is more of a "push" if you will for more separation? IMHO, for me, I wouldnt be against not putting anything new up, such as crosses, ten commandments, but what I do wonder about, is why are the freedoms we have had in the past now come under fire?
I think it means that the state can not dictate what religion one practices or what church one should attend.

The devil is losing this is why the practices that we once practiced without a second thought is underfire. The devil is desperate. Think of it as a man who is behind and is struggling hard to catch up. The Master is on His way back and the devil knows he is running out of time.

I believe that the ten commandments should be posted because there is a penalty for breaking any of them. Break (1,2&3) -condemn your soul. Break (4) get disinherited by parents. Commit adultry- go broke paying alimony and child support. Break any of the remainder, you will serve a prison sentence or get the death penalty.

What do you think? You are the type of person that I can sit on a bench with and talk to all night long about subjects like this.

Our criminal and civil laws are based on these commandments and they should be taught in the schools as part of a civics course. I don't care what your religious choice maybe, constitutional law supports the ten commandments when it comes to punishment and executing wills. Isn't this church and state working together?

Old 07-26-2007, 06:42 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,854,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadinethehowlingdemocrat View Post
I think it means that the state can not dictate what religion one practices or what church one should attend.

The devil is losing this is why the practices that we once practiced without a second thought is underfire. The devil is desperate. Think of it as a man who is behind and is struggling hard to catch up. The Master is on His way back and the devil knows he is running out of time.

I believe that the ten commandments should be posted because there is a penalty for breaking any of them. Break (1,2&3) -condemn your soul. Break (4) get disinherited by parents. Commit adultry- go broke paying alimony and child support. Break any of the remainder, you will serve a prison sentence or get the death penalty.

What do you think? You are the type of person that I can sit on a bench with and talk to all night long about subjects like this.

Our criminal and civil laws are based on these commandments and they should be taught in the schools as part of a civics course. I don't care what your religious choice maybe, constitutional law supports the ten commandments when it comes to punishment and executing wills. Isn't this church and state working together?
Or it could be that we've become a much more diverse country in the last 20 - 30 years, including a lot more immigrants who are of other religions than Christianity.

Occam's Razor??

Old 08-10-2007, 03:14 PM

415 posts, read 610,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nadinethehowlingdemocrat View Post
I believe that the ten commandments should be posted because there is a penalty for breaking any of them. Break (1,2&3) -condemn your soul.
That civil authorities should assume authority over man's salvation is a principle that would violate the Lord's commandment that we not render authority over the things that are God's to Caesar. Civil authority over religion, the means of salvation, is one of Satan's laws.

Quote:
Our criminal and civil laws are based on these commandments
You're mistaken, dude.

Old 07-30-2009, 07:52 PM

4,474 posts, read 5,413,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arguy1973 View Post
Just a question for those for and against the separation. How far do you think it needs to go? What about things that have been, such as a cross, in the same spot for 100 years? Does it just now offend someone and has not in the last 100 years, or do you think its becasue there is more of a "push" if you will for more separation? IMHO, for me, I wouldnt be against not putting anything new up, such as crosses, ten commandments, but what I do wonder about, is why are the freedoms we have had in the past now come under fire?
From Bouvier's Law Dictionary, originally published in 1836. The first and still considered foremost definitional source of early American legal definition....

ESTABLISH. This word occurs frequently in the Constitution of the United $tates, and it is there used in different meanings. 1. To settle firmly, to fix unalterably; as, to establish justice, which is the avowed object of the constitution. 2. To make or form as, to establish an uniform rule of naturalization, and uniform laws on the subject of bankruptcies, which evidently does not mean that these laws shall be unalterably established as justice. 3. To found, to create, to regulate; as, congress shall have power to establish post roads and post offices. 4. To found, recognize, confirm or admit; as, congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion. 5. To create, to ratify, or confirm; as, we, the people, &c., do ordain and establish this constitution, 1 Story, Const. §454.

And also, for "religion"...

RELIGION. Real piety in practice, consisting in the performance of all known duties to God and our fellow men.
2. There are many actions which cannot be regulated by human laws, and many duties are imposed by religion calculated to promote the happiness of society. Besides, there is an infinite number of actions, which though punishable by society, may be concealed from men, and which the magistrate cannot punish. In these cases men are restrained by the knowledge that nothing can be hidden from the eyes of a sovereign intelligent Being; that the soul never dies, that there is a state of future rewards and punishments; in fact that the most secret crimes will be punished. True religion then offers succors to the feeble, consolations to the unfortunate, and fills the wicked with dread.
3. What Montesquieu says of a prince, applies equally to an individual. "A prince," says he, " who loves religion, is a lion, which yields to the hand that caresses him, or to the voice which renders him tame. He who fears religion and bates it, is like a wild beast, which gnaws, the chain which re-strains it from falling on those within its reach. He who has no religion is like a terrible animal which feels no liberty except when it devours its vic- tims or tears them in pieces." Esp. des , Lois, liv. 24, c. 1.
4. But religion can be useful to man only when it is pure. The constitution of the United States has, therefore, wisely provided that it should never be united with the state. Art. 6, 3. Vide Christianity; Religious test; Theo- cracy.

As can plainly be seen, our Founders intended for a Secular Constitutional Republic to protect and preserve the rights of all religious persons, and people of no religion as well, a concept that has been eroded away under a theocratic movement in the US present since day one. Religious doctrine simply had no business being in the public sector, ie our g'ment and g'ment institution.

Pro 8, our current Motto and Pledge, indeed any law that cannot be established on a plain secular reasoning, should not be present in this Nation.

As for historical examples? When were they put there and why?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality