U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-27-2010, 02:14 PM
 
Location: Not.here
2,828 posts, read 3,443,292 times
Reputation: 2347

Advertisements

I'm sure you've heard the phrase from the Sermon on the Mount in which Jesus said that when someone commits an act of aggression towards you, the right thing to do is to respond kindly, without aggression towards the perpetrator. He said that an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth is wrong action. Right action, on the other hand, is when someone strikes you on the right cheek and you turn the other cheek to him/her so they can strike it also if they wish. Have you ever met anyone that follows this advice? When confronted with a thief, for example, and the thief asks for the wallet, the kindly person says, "here also are the keys to my car; it runs well and will also help you out." Ever met anyone that exemplifies what Jesus said on the Mount?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-27-2010, 02:35 PM
 
Location: Valencia, Spain
13,854 posts, read 9,651,582 times
Reputation: 2393
No, never. Whenever I mention that Jesus said they should give away their possessions to anyone who asks for them, they usually tell me that their man-god meant that for someone else and not them. They are very keen to accept the words of their man-god when it comes to castigating homosexuals but when it comes to their wallets, they don't seem to trust the words of Jesus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2010, 03:17 PM
 
Location: on a green & blue ball called earth
265 posts, read 552,359 times
Reputation: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
I'm sure you've heard the phrase from the Sermon on the Mount in which Jesus said that when someone commits an act of aggression towards you, the right thing to do is to respond kindly, without aggression towards the perpetrator. He said that an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth is wrong action. Right action, on the other hand, is when someone strikes you on the right cheek and you turn the other cheek to him/her so they can strike it also if they wish. Have you ever met anyone that follows this advice? When confronted with a thief, for example, and the thief asks for the wallet, the kindly person says, "here also are the keys to my car; it runs well and will also help you out." Ever met anyone that exemplifies what Jesus said on the Mount?
What’s interesting about the above text is that it brings to attention many things and among them this;

Let the one who is discipline, the one who has managed to foster self-control, the one who knows how to redirect an attack to do so. In doing so that person actually stops the cycle of violence. How so? Because he/she doesn’t absorb it only to become a carrier of the evil, which is then unloaded/vented/passed on to another innocent bystander. Simply said, “Let the wise man brake the cycle.”
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2010, 03:20 PM
 
Location: South Carolina
3,398 posts, read 6,959,302 times
Reputation: 2827
I only have two cheeks to turn. If I let you have both of them and you hit me again, Imma knock you out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2010, 03:26 PM
 
Location: on a green & blue ball called earth
265 posts, read 552,359 times
Reputation: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
I only have two cheeks to turn. If I let you have both of them and you hit me again, Imma knock you out.

un-un, you got two more on your backside....yeah, them cheeks too
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2010, 03:51 PM
 
Location: Jacksonville,Florida
3,772 posts, read 9,359,430 times
Reputation: 1979
The main thing is that Christians should be meek as to inherit the Earth ,so in a confrontation it is wise not to heighten a skirmish and just turn away from evil being acted upon one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2010, 03:52 PM
 
Location: Pawnee Nation
7,525 posts, read 14,544,367 times
Reputation: 7000

YouTube - Kinky Friedman, They Ain't Making Jews Like Jesus Anymore
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2010, 03:57 PM
 
Location: Nashville, Tn
7,916 posts, read 16,399,669 times
Reputation: 5442
nezlie wrote:
Quote:
He said that an eye for an eye and a tooth for a tooth is wrong action.
It's interesting that this quote is from the Bible which is supposed to be the word of God. So I guess God must have been wrong on this one and Jesus had to correct him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2010, 04:37 PM
 
Location: Not.here
2,828 posts, read 3,443,292 times
Reputation: 2347
Quote:
Originally Posted by noland123 View Post
The main thing is that Christians should be meek as to inherit the Earth ,so in a confrontation it is wise not to heighten a skirmish and just turn away from evil being acted upon one.

I never understood this. I believe meek in this context means being humble. The suggestion basically says, "be humble so you can inherit the earth." Do it in order to gain a material thing from it. That doesn't seem like true humility to me; it seems more like faking humility so that something may be gained. It should be "be meek and don't worry about inheriting the earth and other wordly things. Just become more humble and drop your ego; that is good enough"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-27-2010, 04:48 PM
 
Location: South Carolina
3,398 posts, read 6,959,302 times
Reputation: 2827
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystal-sea View Post
un-un, you got two more on your backside....yeah, them cheeks too
They can kiss those cheeks after they wake up from me knocking them out...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top