U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
 
Old 03-29-2010, 09:47 AM
 
1,243 posts, read 1,315,938 times
Reputation: 55

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalThought View Post
Your facts are obviously wrong....Rome did not invent the Sabbath, in fact they are the ones who introduced Sunday worship
That's sabbatarianism.

Quote:
And that "book" that you refer to, is the Holy Bible,
People disagree as to whether it is holy. There are very few who behave as though it is holy.

Quote:
and if you claim that it does not mention the Sabbath you are either a liar or have never read it since it clear discusses the Sabbath in over 100 verses.
Can we learn where it indicates that a sabbath is to be kept today?
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-30-2010, 05:49 AM
 
12 posts, read 11,091 times
Reputation: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
Are these two religions the same thing? What do Seventh Day Adventists and what do Sabbath Keepers believe anyway? I'd like to know.

Thanks

20yrsinBranson
Greetings to you:

As a Sabbath Keeper I can tell you the diffrence between the Seventh Day and some Sabbath Keepers. The Seventh Day Adventist do not keep all of the Holy Days that are mentioned in the Bible as most other Sabbath Keepers do. We observe Passover, The Days of Unleaven Bread, Penticost, Day of Atoinment and The Feast Of Tabernacles.
freeman4:
Moderator cut: advertising

Last edited by Miss Blue; 03-31-2010 at 11:56 AM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2010, 01:39 PM
 
1 posts, read 1,622 times
Reputation: 11
i am a seventh-day adventist. First of all you people are all truly uneducated on the subject at hand and should probably not be talking about it. I urge you all to read your bible and pray that God can show you the truth as well. Some main points we'll keep it truthful and simple..1) seventh day is the sabbath day period. Exodus 20:8-11..the only day made holy by God himself..sunday keeping is false period. 2) advent focuses on Jesus second coming, and if i might add william miller was not crazy and did not make up anything. he was simply confused with scripture..but infact he was correct because instead of jesus coming back to earth..he found out that jesus was entering the heavenly sanctuary. the sanctuary that they had on earth mirrors the one in heaven..and jesus is currently there forgiving our sins as we speak. read about it. 3) ellen white IS NOT a plagirist. if you can truly read her books and come to this conclusion they maybe you should not be a seventh day adventist. an important thing to remember is being christ like..think of the world how it is..remember jesus and his example. read james 4:4. seriously satan is in control of the things of this world including your brain and if you are doubting the truth as most of you are then you pretty much just gave satan control.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-17-2010, 02:53 PM
 
6,039 posts, read 9,215,428 times
Reputation: 3933
Quote:
Originally Posted by evieyt2003 View Post
and jesus is currently there forgiving our sins as we speak. read about it.
Really? Being god, and being omnipotent and omniscient, surely it doesn't take him 167 years and counting to forgive sins. He's god, he can just wave his hand and say they're forgiven. And yes, William Miller was a loon, as was the people he duped into believing him.


Quote:
3) ellen white IS NOT a plagirist. if you can truly read her books and come to this conclusion they maybe you should not be a seventh day adventist.
Yes she was. Do a little independent research on it. Your precious prophet didn't have visions from god, she had injury-induced epilepsy, and thought her seizures were 'visions'. I call baloney on that one.

Quote:
seriously satan is in control of the things of this world including your brain and if you are doubting the truth as most of you are then you pretty much just gave satan control.
Seriously, he's not. He doesn't exist any more than god or angels or heaven/hell or the supernatural do. I think you need to remember that there are actually atheists here on these boards who were raised in your religion, and so have intimate knowledge of just how wacky it is. You want to believe that stuff? Be my guest. But keep it to yourself, and don't bald-faced lie to those of us who know better.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-21-2010, 07:46 PM
 
335 posts, read 194,200 times
Reputation: 38
shibata,

re: "What did God do on the eighth day...?"

Iím not aware of any scripture that uses the phrase "the eighth day" to refer to anything that the supreme being may have done. What do you have in mind?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2011, 06:37 AM
 
2 posts, read 2,896 times
Reputation: 10
Default Sda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
This post just made me laugh, man
People need to learn and study before they can make judgement. Bragging about your little knowledge proves your stupidity. I read a lot of books and articles about Ben Carson -a SDA Neuro-surgeon at John Hopkins Hospital. Dr. Black -chaplain of the Senate and many humble citizens of this country. They are highly educated Seventh-day Adventist. I am an ordinary citizen and I wonder the truth of this.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2011, 06:40 AM
 
2 posts, read 2,896 times
Reputation: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
I'm not so sure about the Sabbath Keepers but I know the Seventh Day Adventists are pretty wacky. They originated in the 1800's when some nutjob called William Miller predicted the end of times to occur in the 1840's (1844 if I remember correctly). This fanatical movement grew and grew until the fated day of the year Miller had prescribed.

In fact, I recall one story where some idiot threw himself from the top of a barn at the stroke of midnight because he thought he would vanish into thin air and be carried off to heaven. Even the most religious people in this forum would probably agree that wasn't the brightest move in the world. Needless to say, as the story goes, the idiot died. In fact, he was one of the first Darwin Award recipients and that was about fifteen years before Darwin published his works!

Anyway, as this cult grew and grew, the day of the "End Times" came and to everyone's shock and awe... nothing happened. The cult became largely dissuaded from William Miller after this and most of them disbanded. The few remaining crackpot lunatics formed what is now called The Seventh Day Adventist Church.

Their beliefs are pretty much the same as most evangelical simple-mindedness. Everyone is a sinner. There will be a trial, jury, and subsequent acceptance or denial in regards to your heavenly entry. They are ultra-conservative (to the point of idiocy). It's basically another "chip off the ol' block" of your every day religious lunacy.

On a high note, they are focused on diet and health among their followers which, I suppose, is probably a good thing and probably why you don't see too many of them where I live in Mississippi.
People need to learn and study before they can make judgement. Bragging about your little knowledge proves your stupidity. I read a lot of books and articles about Ben Carson -a SDA Neuro-surgeon at John Hopkins Hospital. Dr. Black -chaplain of the Senate and many humble citizens of this country. They are highly educated Seventh-day Adventist. I am an ordinary citizen and I wonder the truth of this.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2011, 07:21 AM
 
Location: Oklahoma
5,589 posts, read 5,517,984 times
Reputation: 4820
A few years back I went to a SDA "health camp" for a week or so. Basically it was a SDA "health and church camp."

I didn't see much difference between SDAer's and regular pentecostal types I had known through the years except for the diet stuff and the sabbath thing.

As a result of these two things as a group they were MUCH more insular than any church group I had been exposed to before. They don't do what "normal" people do on Saturday, and they don't fit in with typical "potluck" christians nor the liberal types who share similar philospoophy concerning diet.

It was interesting that one of the reasons for the diet thing is that Ellen White thought that meat eating was the reason that men masturbated. Strange but true. However, this in turn lead to the invention of the breakfast cereals that we know as Kellogs and Post which were the original "health" foods.

Being in the health field, one interesting thing I noted is that the SDA adults were very trim and looked healthy. The people I was used to seeing that were that thin were either long term cigarette addicts or long distance runner types, yet that was pretty much the norm for the SDA adults that I saw at that place (the health center was actually a social center for SDA types and the patients were like "tourists").

Alas, I couldn't do the vegan diet even though I tried, but as many of you know, Eddie Gein is a pretty famous meat eater ...................................so I have forgiven myself.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2011, 07:31 AM
 
Location: Capital Hill
1,602 posts, read 2,633,222 times
Reputation: 839
Quote:
Originally Posted by GCSTroop View Post
I'm not so sure about the Sabbath Keepers but I know the Seventh Day Adventists are pretty wacky. They originated in the 1800's when some nutjob called William Miller predicted the end of times to occur in the 1840's (1844 if I remember correctly). This fanatical movement grew and grew until the fated day of the year Miller had prescribed.

In fact, I recall one story where some idiot threw himself from the top of a barn at the stroke of midnight because he thought he would vanish into thin air and be carried off to heaven. Even the most religious people in this forum would probably agree that wasn't the brightest move in the world. Needless to say, as the story goes, the idiot died. In fact, he was one of the first Darwin Award recipients and that was about fifteen years before Darwin published his works!

Anyway, as this cult grew and grew, the day of the "End Times" came and to everyone's shock and awe... nothing happened. The cult became largely dissuaded from William Miller after this and most of them disbanded. The few remaining crackpot lunatics formed what is now called The Seventh Day Adventist Church.

Their beliefs are pretty much the same as most evangelical simple-mindedness. Everyone is a sinner. There will be a trial, jury, and subsequent acceptance or denial in regards to your heavenly entry. They are ultra-conservative (to the point of idiocy). It's basically another "chip off the ol' block" of your every day religious lunacy.

On a high note, they are focused on diet and health among their followers which, I suppose, is probably a good thing and probably why you don't see too many of them where I live in Mississippi.
!!!! HA, Ha, Ha,..... I just like what you just said, it's so relevant at this moment. We have a Seventh Day Adventist Church in our neighborhood. We just recieved a mailer from them advertising 'A Bible Prophecy Seminar' where Revelation will be reveiled and how Revelations predicts the end times. First Night: What does the Future Hold?, 2nd Night: How to stand when others are falling, 3rd Night: Who is the Antichrist? 4th Night: Whose side will you be on? 5th Night: When will the time of the end begin? and 6th Night: What will happen when Jesus Returns?.
No where in this mailer does it say anything about their church, or who is sponsering this seminar, it only gives the address, which is the Seventh Day Adventist Church. For me, no one has been able to fully interpret Revelations, but they seem to think they have all the answers. For centuries they have been predicting the end times from Revelations and they are still doing it. I checked out their website and this is all I got: www.unlockingrevelation.com
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 09-24-2011, 07:49 AM
 
335 posts, read 194,200 times
Reputation: 38
Vinylly,

re: "...and how Revelations predicts the end times."

re: "For me, no one has been able to fully interpret Revelations..."
 

Any particular reason for adding an "s" at the end of Revelation?
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top