Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 11:35 AM

63,530 posts, read 39,819,736 times

Advertisements

I could be wrong, I suppose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2010, 12:49 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,061,661 times
Interesting responses.

The question presupposes a distinct condition (Like saying the room has been painted yellow). The responses are pretty diverse.

Spotted1 Asks for more information. Inqusitive or humor.
KC says that you are mistaken the room can not be painted yellow. Denies reality
Eresh asks, isn't it enough that the room is painted yellow? why must others know?
Huffen says that the room may not be yellow, despite the condition that it is.
NightBazar asks if you can prove a yellow room is yellow. Red herring
MysticPhd says that others will doubt that it is yellow, but lack the drive to look at the room themselves.

Old 02-28-2010, 01:37 PM

5,463 posts, read 9,610,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tenzo View Post
NightBazar asks if you can prove a yellow room is yellow. Red herring
It wasn't a "red herring" because that's not what I asked at all. I'm trying to understand what it was about the room that gave you an impression about the secret of bending time and space. Instead of just answering the question, you reply with a yellow herring. Your response sounds kind of fishy.

Old 02-28-2010, 02:05 PM

7,525 posts, read 16,942,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I could be wrong, I suppose.
could be right as well...........I'm beginning to think you know me too well...........

Old 02-28-2010, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodpasture View Post
could be right as well...........I'm beginning to think you know me too well...........
I suspect it is mutual. Be well, my friend.

Old 02-28-2010, 02:50 PM

265 posts, read 614,409 times
Quote:
What if;

You wanted to explore the world.
You went to all the different areas, just to explore. From the most famous areas like New York's time square, to the most boring, like the middle of Wyoming.

(Stay with me, it gets better)

During your travels you find, quite by accident, a room. In that room is the secret to bending space and time. You try it, and it works! No, it's not an analogy, you can quite literally, change time and space.

You look around the room and there is evidence that others have been here before you. Though you don't know when. There is also no reason others could not come here later.

So, being very excited, you tell your friends.
But they don't believe such a room can exist. So they won't bother to go.
Others say it might exist, but they are too busy right now.

You search for people to tell this great discovery.
You find some have been there, but have given up telling others.
Many more have claimed to be in this room, but when when you talk to them you realize, no they haven't, and they are just saying so to get attention.

Rarely, you do find someone who has been there and knows the secret. But they keep it to themselves, perhaps from going through your same experiance.

I can't share it with my family because they don't believe in it. Those who have not been there, don't believe it exists. And you can not show a person this room by force. I can demonstrate the ability to anyone but they either pass it off a luck, coincidence or unexplainable.

What would you do?

I'd just tell every one I meet that the room over there {pointing at the door} is FORBIDDEN to everyone else BUT ME.

That line would wrap around the planet a zillion times.
[SIZE=3][/SIZE]

Old 02-28-2010, 03:06 PM

1,657 posts, read 4,061,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
It wasn't a "red herring" because that's not what I asked at all. I'm trying to understand what it was about the room that gave you an impression about the secret of bending time and space. Instead of just answering the question, you reply with a yellow herring. Your response sounds kind of fishy.

Cute

I meant that part of the premise was that there was a room contains instructions on how to do that. The question wasn't if it was possible, but IF it existed, what would you do/

Old 02-28-2010, 05:24 PM

239 posts, read 401,857 times
Quote:
What if;

You wanted to explore the world.
You went to all the different areas, just to explore. From the most famous areas like New York's time square, to the most boring, like the middle of Wyoming.

(Stay with me, it gets better)

During your travels you find, quite by accident, a room. In that room is the secret to bending space and time. You try it, and it works! No, it's not an analogy, you can quite literally, change time and space.

You look around the room and there is evidence that others have been here before you. Though you don't know when. There is also no reason others could not come here later.

So, being very excited, you tell your friends.
But they don't believe such a room can exist. So they won't bother to go.
Others say it might exist, but they are too busy right now.

You search for people to tell this great discovery.
You find some have been there, but have given up telling others.
Many more have claimed to be in this room, but when when you talk to them you realize, no they haven't, and they are just saying so to get attention.

Rarely, you do find someone who has been there and knows the secret. But they keep it to themselves, perhaps from going through your same experiance.

I can't share it with my family because they don't believe in it. Those who have not been there, don't believe it exists. And you can not show a person this room by force. I can demonstrate the ability to anyone but they either pass it off a luck, coincidence or unexplainable.

What would you do?
Why don't you try describing the room? Demonstrate what ability?

To be honest, your "secret" sounds too convenient! Why don't you try describing the room, and don't tell me you can't because I know better.

Your whole argument sounds like a gotta have faith argument.

Old 02-28-2010, 05:45 PM

4,049 posts, read 5,021,911 times
I seriously doubt that not one single physicist in the world would be curious enough to investigate the room and publish the findings.

Old 02-28-2010, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustNobody View Post
Why don't you try describing the room? Demonstrate what ability?

To be honest, your "secret" sounds too convenient! Why don't you try describing the room, and don't tell me you can't because I know better.

Your whole argument sounds like a gotta have faith argument.
This was presented as a HYPOTHETICAL intended to elicit ways and means of addressing its communication to others. Typically . . . you attack it as a concrete reality . . . refusing to explore the intended issues as a hypothetical.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality