U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2017, 06:03 PM

Location: Follow the oil exhaust cloud until you run out of gas, then turn left
790 posts, read 226,813 times

Advertisements

I had to call the cops on one today because he wouldn't leave my property when I told him to (considered trespassing). He did eventually leave but when he came back that was the end of him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2017, 06:08 PM

6,571 posts, read 17,972,121 times
Hmmmm...think I hit a nerve. Back in the mid 1930's a man came by every Fri afternoon to my school in Hamilton to talk Religion...think he was maybe a JW. Do know he was not Catholic ( my mother) or Protestant (my dad and me,) Not any Baptists those days there. Please note info was just that and NO lecture.

Old 04-21-2017, 08:50 AM

12,445 posts, read 14,578,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regs4rl View Post
my cousins are JWs and they asked me to start going to their congregation with them. i would feel bad if i said no so i went ahead and told them i would go. i'm moving in 3 months anyway so what the heck. i personally don't believe in anything that their religion teaches nor am i even religious. i just figured i would humor them the last few months i'm here. so my questions: what do you think of JWs? and has anyone else done something similar to what i am doing just to please family or friends?
Why would you feel bad not going to their meetings?????
I don't agree with their beliefs either...and I hate that they waste paper printing up those little books they give out. I told one that they are written as if for a 8 year old, and a waste of good wood.
Never the less....I DO find the ones that venture out this way occasionally to be very, very polite.
Very kind, considerate, willing to listen about anything (not just bible talk), and always with a cheery disposition.
What's not to like?

Old 04-21-2017, 08:13 PM

204 posts, read 94,850 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skcRUYRidPY&app=desktop

Old 04-21-2017, 08:24 PM

249 posts, read 126,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttark View Post
I had to call the cops on one today because he wouldn't leave my property when I told him to (considered trespassing). He did eventually leave but when he came back that was the end of him.

Good for you!
It's bad enough when these kooks push their religion on the streets but when they do it on your property it's a whole different issue. Their free speech ends where your property line begins.

Old 04-21-2017, 11:08 PM

5,217 posts, read 1,982,905 times
Don't understand why so many have problems with JW always coming to their homes. We asked to be placed on a no call list and only once in the last four or five years have they called and we're really apologizing about not know. Last weekend we were in the neighbour yard and one came and simply saying no thanks he smiled and keft.

Old 04-22-2017, 08:52 AM

7,192 posts, read 1,654,178 times
"what do you think of Jehovah Witnesses?"

Not a big fan.

Most religious groups own a publishing arm of some sort to produce teaching materials, prayer books and polemical stuff.

The Jehovah's Witnesses is more like a publishing/printing company that owns a church. The members are the peddlers.

Old 04-22-2017, 12:15 PM
Status: "Shutting zoos in the Sahara Desert is permitted." (set 17 hours ago)

6,577 posts, read 226,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttark View Post
If it took calling the cops to get rid of him....one wonders what kind of "witnessing" he had in mind for you. There are none so stubborn as those who refuse to leave (private property)...even when requested to. He must have known he was trespassing. That he finally left must have been a relief for you.

Last edited by Timray; 04-22-2017 at 12:20 PM.. Reason: Corrections

Old 04-23-2017, 06:51 AM

13,340 posts, read 10,919,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regs4rl View Post
my cousins are JWs and they asked me to start going to their congregation with them. i would feel bad if i said no so i went ahead and told them i would go. i'm moving in 3 months anyway so what the heck. i personally don't believe in anything that their religion teaches nor am i even religious. i just figured i would humor them the last few months i'm here. so my questions: what do you think of JWs? and has anyone else done something similar to what i am doing just to please family or friends?

I've never attended one of their services, but I have spoken with some at length. I am a non denominational Christian, and was curious about a couple things they teach. Of course they saw me as a potential convert, and so wanted to continue discussion long after I had heard enough and did pressure me to come to service, but this is part of their belief as well. Thus the "witness" in the name.

Just like every other church there are the more and less abrasive and annoying members. Overall, there decent people. I just can't get on board with some specific teachings they have. Chief among these is not saluting the Colors, and seeing holidays as sinful. Not saluting the Colors was something I was most curious about, and I had been told many reasons, so I figured I'd get it from the source. The answer surprised me, and still makes no sense to me.

They see saying the pledge, saluting the flag , the Anthem, etc, as idol worship. No explanation for that take satisfied me. I see that as extreme. There is a huge difference between salute and worship and between respect and reverence. Having loyalty to ones country and showing respect for those who have died defending it is not showing disloyalty to God. Nor is the flag a graven image. Oh, we went into this in detail. I could never saddle up with such a belief, and it is central to their belief.

But at any rate, I did get the answers I was looking for.

Old 04-24-2017, 07:21 AM

4,069 posts, read 1,457,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raindance maggie View Post
Good for you!
It's bad enough when these kooks push their religion on the streets but when they do it on your property it's a whole different issue. Their free speech ends where your property line begins.

Only if you put a sign up stipulating so.
Kooks huh--then explain to all why the teachings of Jesus in every translation on earth--prove the JW teachers are correct? And expose the trinity religions as a divided house that will not stand???Mark 3:24-26
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality