U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2010, 06:27 PM

21,867 posts, read 21,995,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibata View Post
Now why not say that first time?
I guess I just thought that if I were to post the Creed itself, it would answer your question. I wasn't attempting to sidestep the issue.

Quote:
Who uses the Athanasian Creed on a regular basis? I'd really like to know.
According to the website I posted the link to (i.e. the one on the Athanasian Creed): "For centuries it has been the custom of the Roman and Anglican Churches to chant this Creed in public worship on certain solemn occasions."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2010, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Because they run away from the gospel. That goes for 99.99999% of religious people in the West. Especially on the internet.
They "run away from the gospel"? What on earth do you mean by that? Couldn't it be simply that they understand the gospel differently than you do? I mean seriously, your answer doesn't make a lot of sense to me. If you were to ask me what I believe, I'd reply with a straight answer. If I were to ask you what you believe, I'm assuming you'd do the same. Why would I ask jojajn to clarify your beliefs? Why would you ask mintleif to explain my beliefs? Why would we want to ask Campbell what DiJay believes when we can just ask DiJay? Are you trying to tell me that you are one of only .00001% of "the religious people in the West" who is honest enough to give a straightforward answer to what you personally believe or to what your church teaches? Or are you one of the 9.99999% after all?

Old 03-07-2010, 06:43 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,350,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I guess I just thought that if I were to post the Creed itself, it would answer your question.
You didn't do that, either. And had you done so, it would have been a side-step.

Quote:
I wasn't attempting to sidestep the issue.
Good. I keep an eye open for that side of things, you'll be very glad to know.

Quote:
According to the website I posted the link to (i.e. the one on the Athanasian Creed): "For centuries it has been the custom of the Roman and Anglican Churches to chant this Creed in public worship on certain solemn occasions."
So you misread that.

Old 03-07-2010, 06:45 PM

Quote:
You didn't do that, either. And had you done so, it would have been a side-step.
What do you mean? I posted links to all three creeds.

Quote:
So you misread that.
Huh? You're saying that "certain solemn occasions" don't occur regularly? Is that your point?

Old 03-07-2010, 06:52 PM

Quote:
They "run away from the gospel"? What on earth do you mean by that? Couldn't it be simply that they understand the gospel differently than you do?
Not a chance. People are far, far too worldly, materialistic, slanderous, evasive, selfish, greedy, abusive, self-abusive, uncontrolled to be living the truth. 'On earth'- you got it.

And the religious ones are the worst.

Old 03-07-2010, 06:56 PM

31,005 posts, read 19,500,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elamigo View Post
Wrote the Bible for the unique beliefs? No different that what most of the other Christian denominations did back in history to suit their beliefs.

Now, condemned by numerous scholars? Of course. Most scholars, for example believe in the trinity which has pagan origins, will accept Bible versions that suit their beliefs.

One example: Most scholars most likely accept Bibles that did strike the name Jehovah out of them? Why, that gives more support to the belief in the trinity. Jesus in the Lords Prayer said "Sanctified be your name", correct? What was his father's name? Jehovah who is the God he spoke of in the Old Testament. However, if you at a lot of old writings you will find the name Jehovah in the new and old testament yet that name is mostly non-existent in todays versions accepted by scholars. Why is the name of the father he came to talk about is not mentioned as Jehovah?

That is why Jehovah's Witnesses as the rest of the Christian denominations most likely committed the same thing.

Actually, before the reformation most Bibles were written by the Catholic Church but once Martin Luther separated and many other denominations separated there were more other version with some variations and wording to suit their new interpretations. Now, I agree that most present denominations do believe in the trinity and the concept of hell so most likely they will condem the witnesses version for that simple difference.

The bottom line there have been wars, bloodshed between "loving" christians simply for not interpreting the bible equally yet witnesses can not be grouped in that category. I believ it is something most scholars cannot claim. The same apply to quakers I believe.

You have a great day.
El Amigo
Watchtower EXPOSED - Jehovah in the N.T.?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBVOy6Y2QYU

Old 03-07-2010, 06:57 PM

Quote:
What do you mean? I posted links to all three creeds.
So you did. My apologies. However, that helped to answer the question not at all, and it's offensive that you suggested that it did, and you haven't apologised for that suggestion.

Quote:
Huh? You're saying that "certain solemn occasions" don't occur regularly?
You don't know that they do.

Old 03-07-2010, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Not a chance. People are far, far too worldly, materialistic, slanderous, evasive, selfish, greedy, abusive, self-abusive, uncontrolled to be living the truth. 'On earth'- you got it.

And the religious ones are the worst.
So you're one of the .00001% or one of the 99.99999%. Which is it?

Old 03-07-2010, 07:07 PM

31,005 posts, read 19,500,891 times

YouTube - Wacky Watchtower Quotes

Old 03-07-2010, 07:09 PM

Quote:
So you did. My apologies. However, that helped to answer the question not at all, and it's offensive that you suggested that it did, and you haven't apologised for that suggestion.
It was an oversight. Period. Are you just trying to pick a fight or what? I'm not going there, shibata. I haven't been rude to you and if we can't manage to have a civil conversation, we don't have to have a conversation at all.

Quote:
You don't know that they do.

What's the difference? If a religion subscribes to a particular Creed, that's what it teaches. It doesn't matter whether it's weekly, monthly or twice a year. You wouldn't believe a Roman Catholic if one told you that the Athanasian Creed is part of Catholic doctrine. You don't believe the website I've referenced. I don't really know what you expect, but I have better things to do than to argue with you over it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality