Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-16-2010, 11:05 PM

4,346 posts, read 6,617,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepcynic View Post
they need to stay away from my house!

I do not want to be bothered by nuts trying to convert me.

My dog bit one that came into my yard, they will not be back!

Good dog!
lol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2010, 12:17 AM

3,400 posts, read 8,030,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deepcynic View Post
They need to stay away from my house!

I do not want to be bothered by nuts trying to convert me.

My dog bit one that came into my yard, they will not be back!

Good Dog!
Least I know Im not the only one with JW repellant. 140lbs combined weight of dog(s) will keep them away...and me snoozing happily at 8 am.

Old 03-22-2010, 07:13 PM

52 posts, read 82,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
People who join the JWs are not told that they'll be required to completely shun someone they might love simply because a group of local elders applies the "disfellowshipped" or "disassociated" label to them. The practice is glossed over in the "Bible studies" leading up to formal baptism into the JW organization. Nor is a convert told that one of the baptismal vows is a legally binding one of absolute loyalty to the JW organization.

Children who are baptized as JWs -- even as young as 7 or 8 years -- are treated exactly the same as adults in terms of shunning. There are many stories of young teenagers doing the normal teenage stupid things, and ending up being shunned for life by their entire families.

Interesting reading about the history of a Watchtower family... New Page 1 (http://www.exjws.net/pioneers/alanf.htm - broken link)
I must say, you really need to get your facts right about the JW's, the DO NOT babtize children as young as 7-8. I don't think I know of ANYONE who has been babtized younger than 16.

Old 03-22-2010, 07:47 PM

253 posts, read 794,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asilas29 View Post
I must say, you really need to get your facts right about the JW's, the DO NOT babtize children as young as 7-8. I don't think I know of ANYONE who has been babtized younger than 16.

My cousins were baptized when they were 12 and 14.

Old 03-22-2010, 10:35 PM

33,536 posts, read 37,136,097 times
Quote:
Who cares when they are baptized...It's the shunning of family and friends that I find cruel and heartless....Why don't you address that abhorrent practice?

Old 03-23-2010, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintleif View Post
My cousins were baptized when they were 12 and 14.
That's great! I said that I don't know of anyone who was baptized before the age of 16.

Old 03-23-2010, 02:02 PM

Quote:
Who cares when they are baptized...It's the shunning of family and friends that I find cruel and heartless....Why don't you address that abhorrent practice?
Maybe you need to read all of the posts that are pretaining to this thread. It has been stated several times why JW's disfellowship members.

Old 03-23-2010, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Maybe you need to read all of the posts that are pretaining to this thread. It has been stated several times why JW's disfellowship members.
I know why, and the reasons are mostly trivial...I know two good friends who's families have been devastated by this stupid practice...There are no good reasons to turn a parent against their children, husband against wife, or children against parents...You cannot justify that disgusting doctrine, at least not to me.

Old 03-23-2010, 07:58 PM

312 posts, read 867,899 times
Quote:
I know why, and the reasons are mostly trivial....

That is not true sanspeur. People are not disfellowshipped for trivial reasons at all. If someone told you that then that is a lie.
People are only disfellowshipped for serious wrongdoing that goes against Jehovah's standards.

Keep in mind, those who take Jehovah's name agree to live by those standards.

If someone chooses not to live by those standards then they are no longer one of Jehovah's Witnesses.

Last edited by DiJay; 03-23-2010 at 08:09 PM..

Old 03-23-2010, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiJay View Post
That is not true sanspeur. People are not disfellowshipped for trivial reasons at all. If someone told you that then that is a lie.
People are only disfellowshipped for serious wrongdoing that goes against Jehovah's standards.
Serious according to who? It's not a lie because I've seen it myself with two good friends....With one, (Shunned for smoking a cigarette) even her three kids treated her as if she were dead...How is that not destructive?

Quote:
Keep in mind, those who take Jehovah's name agree to live by those standards.
Yeah too bad about whoever else if effects, huh?

Quote:
If someone chooses not to live by those standards then they are no longer one of Jehovah's Witnesses.
It was not until 1952 that the Watchtower introduced disfellowshipping as now practiced and the following review of the scriptural principles involved shows that there is no Biblical justification for the extent to which the Watchtower practices this unchristian form of manipulation.

Being disfellowshipped can result in serious emotional side affects because those that continue to believe Watchtower doctrine are told that whilst disfellowshipped they are condemned to everlasting destruction; whereas those who become unbelievers, with no intention of returning to the Watchtower Society, realise they are unlikely to freely associate with Witness family and friends for the remainder of their lives.
Jehovah's Witnesses and disfellowshipping

Jehovah’s Witnesses can be disfellowshipped for a number of rule violations: premarital or extramarital sex, using alcohol excessively, using tobacco products, celebrating Christmas, reciting the pledge of allegiance, lying, stealing, joining the military, speaking to a disfellowshipped Witness, reading religious material not published by the governing body, or running for political office just to name a few. Fellow members are then required to shun him/her completely, having no contact even if the disfellowshipped person is a family member.
Jehovah's Witness Beliefs

Most of these reasons seem minor to me and none of them deserve a penalty as harsh as shunning.

The more I learn the more sure I am sure that JWs are nothing but a cult.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality