Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2010, 09:12 PM

1,252 posts, read 3,480,423 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsoncole View Post
Wannabe,
You did what you wanted to do and it was not Godly things. Nobody stopped you - right? But you CANNOT expect to do those things whilst being a part of the Christian Congregation. Even at home, you have to clean your feet before you come in the house.

There are no rules of conduct that were instituted by Jehovah's Witness. ALL of the "rules" are in the Bible. That is what they go by.

You don't like it? You are free to stayd where you are and do what you want to.
As to JWs, they things they teach are being proved true day by day.
Take the following:

They and they alone - were right about the blood issue all along

I think you misunderstood. Maybe you should re-read my post. I NEVER WANTED to be a JW or be in "the truth" and curse the days of my youth when I "had to go" to the Kingdom Hell as I used to call it. Armageddon was supposed to be in 1975 and I could have "lived with" that but then it didn't come...and I wasn't going to wait forever! I'd rather LIVE amongst REGULAR normal people that don't put Religion before Family, as the WBTS teaches you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2010, 09:49 PM

646 posts, read 632,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
I think anyone who loves Jehovah as described in the OT needs help in discerning what is lovable and what is evil.
Are you qualified to supply that help?

Old 03-29-2010, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabee View Post
I think you misunderstood. Maybe you should re-read my post. I NEVER WANTED to be a JW or be in "the truth" and curse the days of my youth when I "had to go" to the Kingdom Hell as I used to call it.
You made that quite plain in your piece.
I had a very bad temper as a young person. Its gone now.
JWs taught me how not to hate people of another race, how to practice self-control, how to show genuine Christian love to one another, how to stay out of trouble with the law, how to respect life, avoid abusing drugs and alcohol, avoid quarrels and fights, repudiate any kind of violence and a host of other good things.
Yet, I see here that some people think there is something WRONG with all this?
You didn't want to be part of an organization that does this for people?
Staying close to the organization brings peace of mind and a good conscience. I think you have lost those priceless gifts from God.

Quote:
Armageddon was supposed to be in 1975 and I could have "lived with" that but then it didn't come...
If it HAD happened back then, where would you be now?
"Exercise patience, therefore, brothers, until the presence of the Lord. Look! The farmer keeps waiting for the precious fruit of the earth, exercising patience over it until he gets the early rain and the late rain. YOU too exercise patience; make YOUR hearts firm, because the presence of the Lord has drawn close." (James 5:7-8
Quote:
and I wasn't going to wait forever!
Point is - you're still waiting! But not with hope. You will never be able to forget what you learned from the Bible to be the perfect will of God.
You did what you knew was wrong - now you're just waiting to be punished for it.
"For if we practice sin willfully after having received the accurate knowledge of the truth, there is no longer any sacrifice for sins left, but [there is] a certain fearful expectation of judgment and [there is] a fiery jealousy that is going to consume those in opposition." (Hebrews 10:26-27)
Quote:
I'd rather LIVE amongst REGULAR normal people that don't put Religion before Family, as the WBTS teaches you.
Normal? This world is as far from "normal" as it can get. Can you not see that? People are losing all the things they hold dear - jobs, family, friends, possessions, careers - they cannot hang on to anything.
Even the very elusive thing called happiness slips out of their grasp the minute they get a tiny bit of it.

The turmoil you feel is the result of a disturbed conscience. That faculty was placed there by your Creator and not by JWs. They taught you what you needed to know. You opted for independence from God. Now you are finding out that it does not work. BUT....as long as you are alive, it is not too late.
Start by going to the Memorial tomorrow night. You can work from there.

Old 03-29-2010, 10:56 PM

2,031 posts, read 3,218,666 times
They are a cult. That's what I think about them.

Old 03-29-2010, 11:21 PM

271 posts, read 393,073 times
They are a cult ,and by the definition of a cult, pretty much every religion can and should be considered one, too; and dutifully we should watch, with an ever discerning eye, in order to call them on their beliefs; just like those ,"All Along the Watchtower".....

Old 03-30-2010, 10:39 AM

1,252 posts, read 3,480,423 times
quotes from wilsoncole
Quote:
I had a very bad temper as a young person. Its gone now.
Me too, because I got out!
Quote:
JWs taught me how not to hate people of another race, how to practice self-control, how to show genuine Christian love to one another, how to stay out of trouble with the law, how to respect life, avoid abusing drugs and alcohol, avoid quarrels and fights, repudiate any kind of violence and a host of other good things.
You can do all those good things without the WBTS in your life. The "being a good person" market is not cornered by the JWs. You may not know this but all non-JWs are not the evil, constant fornicators they are made out to be by the "Society".
Quote:
Yet, I see here that some people think there is something WRONG with all this?
Who? No one said that. No one here is against being good.
Quote:
You didn't want to be part of an organization that does this for people? Staying close to the organization brings peace of mind and a good conscience. I think you have lost those priceless gifts from God.
You are a card-carrying member, I'll give you that. How's the Kool-Aid there these days?
Quote:
If it HAD happened back then, where would you be now?
"Exercise patience, therefore, brothers, until the presence of the Lord. Look! The farmer keeps waiting for the precious fruit of the earth, exercising patience over it until he gets the early rain and the late rain. YOU too exercise patience; make YOUR hearts firm, because the presence of the Lord has drawn close." (James 5:7-8
That's easy. I'd be living an eternal life with the JWs, or dead with all my friends. Whoop-dee-do.
Quote:
Point is - you're still waiting! But not with hope. You will never be able to forget what you learned from the Bible to be the perfect will of God. You did what you knew was wrong - now you're just waiting to be punished for it.
"For if we practice sin willfully after having received the accurate knowledge of the truth, there is no longer any sacrifice for sins left, but [there is] a certain fearful expectation of judgment and [there is] a fiery jealousy that is going to consume those in opposition." (Hebrews 10:26-27)
I am not waiting for Armageddon or to be punished for anything. Why would you even assume that? It's not happening. I'm just waiting for you to understand that the point of a discussion forum is to share and discuss ideas openly and not an opportunity to condemn, chastise, change, or convert others. It is to learn about other viewpoints. No one has to agree with anyone else here, just respect that as individuals we all think differently.
Quote:
Normal? This world is as far from "normal" as it can get. Can you not see that? People are losing all the things they hold dear - jobs, family, friends, possessions, careers - they cannot hang on to anything.
Even the very elusive thing called happiness slips out of their grasp the minute they get a tiny bit of it.
My definition of normal is: non-JW. If a Roman Catholic family (for example) had some family members who stopped going to Church, they would not be shunned by their family and fellow Catholics. Their religion does not break-up their family and entire social network.
Quote:
The turmoil you feel is the result of a disturbed conscience. That faculty was placed there by your Creator and not by JWs. They taught you what you needed to know. You opted for independence from God. Now you are finding out that it does not work. BUT....as long as you are alive, it is not too late. Start by going to the Memorial tomorrow night. You can work from there.
My cheeks hurt from laughing. Are you serious? Of course you are. Independence DOES work, unfortunately it can't erase memories of the KH. Go to the Memorial? Been there, done that. You couldn't pay me enough to go there again.

JWs believe that they are the only true religion, and that all other religions are false. You cannot deny that without breaking a commandment. It's a superiority complex which is very annoying. JWs are not bad people at all. They are (very easily) misguided people and I actually feel quite sorry for them. The WBTS is what I have an intense dislike for.

Old 04-01-2010, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdRedRain View Post
If you're a Jehovah's Witness or at least a JW sympathiser, does it make you feel comfortable that your religion repeatedly allowed dangerous sex offenders to preach at people's doors with minimal supervision?
Are you in a position to prove that?

Old 04-01-2010, 08:27 AM

33,513 posts, read 37,057,177 times
Whistleblower could lose her church, family
Protecting our kids from religious predators: Part II

I know most Jehovah's Witnesses (and most religious folk) hate pedophilia and pedophiles, and want to protect children, but no matter what the PR Dept of Jehovah's Witnesses says today, thousands of people have been discouraged from reporting suspected pedophiles to the police because of what the elders told them. Sorry folks, that is the sad, cold truth of the matter. These people may be knocking on your door or mine....

Old 04-01-2010, 08:31 AM

6,777 posts, read 13,523,708 times
Well when they come knocking on my door, I've hid under my desk before (my office is right by the front door). What does that tell you?

Old 04-01-2010, 09:32 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,466,073 times
Default what do you think of Jehovah Witnesses?

They're very frightened. Fear rules their existence. Sad, really...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality