U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2010, 02:31 PM

4,997 posts, read 13,579,248 times

Advertisements

Anyone thinking of going to a meeting of the JWs should be aware that they use mind control. I would suggest they read Combating Cult Mind Control by Steven Hassan. I would also suggest that they look at these websites:

Ex-Jehovah's Witness Forum and Recovery Site - Message Board Yuku this is a group of wonderful people that are trying to overcome their jw experience, especially when their own parents have shunned them.

http://downthecrookedpath-meditation.blogspot.com/2010/02/hellish-realms-of-religion.html (broken link) personal experience

silentlambs.org - Welcome this exposes child molestation within the organization that is covered up by said organization.

and this video: Freeminds.org - Discover The Truth About Jehovah's Witnesses and the Watchtower Society - Freeminds - Discover The Truth About Jehovah's Witnesses And The Watchtower this explains many of the fears that jws and exjws have when they leave or are kicked out.

http://www.jwfacts.com/watchtower/di...p-shunning.php read about shunning (disfellowshipping).

I know because I used to be a Jehovah's Witness. That experience has damaged me to this day, and it has been 40 years since I got out.

You may think that they are sweet and very nice, but we were taught to be that way. After all that is the way you bring people into their "truth." We were taught in the ministry school how to deal with people door to door so we could hook them. When I got out I read a book on brainwashing in china or russia, i can't remember, and i was shocked to see that they used the same techniques. still, it has affected me for all these years. it isn't something that you get over easily.

Last edited by Mattie Jo; 04-01-2010 at 02:51 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2010, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiJay View Post
It is not JW's who destroy people's lives, families or even their happiness, jojajn. If you believe that then the same can be true of any organization at all.

People (individuals) do things in their own lives that cause change- either for good or for bad.

And anybody can put a video on Utube about anything they want- it doesn't even have to be true but people will believe it, just because it's on the internet...
DiJay, it is true. They do destroy families. If you are a JW and you decide that you no longer believe the way they believe, and you decide to leave, your family and friends will never be allowed to speak to you again. Yet, you can't stay, although many do just to keep their families, because you have to be true to yourself. It isn't easy to live a lie, but it isn't easy to be without your family either.

And yes the JWs are controlling. You have to believe everything they teach, and you have to do things their way or you will be shunned.

I remember telling a friend of mine that there are many JWs that have been kicked out of the organization and whose lifes are now ruined, that they are hurting, and she called me a liar. Why? Because she was thinking of joining them and they had already started their brainwashing. You are doing the same, and I am sure if I were still a JW I wouldn't believe these youtubes either. Why? Because we were taught to believe that those who are kicked out are evil and don't wish to be apart of the organization anymore. I not only know that these videos are true from my own experience but because I know of people who were kicked out and have listened to their stories.

It isn't what they believe that makes them wrong. I don't believe that any religion has the "truth." What is wrong is that you cannot form your own opinion, and if you do and voice it you will be kicked out. I also know that they teach each other to tell on one another. I was asked to spy on a sister that was reinstated, and if I saw her exboyfriend around I was to report it. I have a friend that used to clean the Kingdom Hall, and one day he found the Circuit Servants notes, and there was a list of everything that other members had said with their names on that list. This was a list of negative things that people had said and so now they were to keep an eye on these members. You do not question as a JW. This spying on members is exactly what the communists do. Children report parents, friends report friends, parents report their own children, and on and on. In the JWs you do not think for yourself or else.

Jojajn, keep up the good work. As a JW we had to remain silent, but as a free person we are now able to speak out and warn others.

Old 04-01-2010, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiJay View Post
That is not true sanspeur. People are not disfellowshipped for trivial reasons at all. If someone told you that then that is a lie.
People are only disfellowshipped for serious wrongdoing that goes against Jehovah's standards.

Keep in mind, those who take Jehovah's name agree to live by those standards.

If someone chooses not to live by those standards then they are no longer one of Jehovah's Witnesses.
It is not a LIE!!! But you would not know that because you are not able to talk with those who are disfellowshipped, and when they announce that a certain person is df'ed all they say is that it was for "conduct unbecoming of a Christian."

sanspeur wrote:
Quote:
Being disfellowshipped can result in serious emotional side affects because those that continue to believe Watchtower doctrine are told that whilst disfellowshipped they are condemned to everlasting destruction; whereas those who become unbelievers, with no intention of returning to the Watchtower Society, realise they are unlikely to freely associate with Witness family and friends for the remainder of their lives.
This is so true. When I did something wrong I felt very guilty and confessed my sin. They said that I didn't feel guilty and kicked me out. They told me that I was dead in God's eyes, and that if we were under the Mosiac Law they would gladly stone me to death. I believed that they had the truth, and I believed that I would die in 1975 when Armeggedon was coming. I lived in a literal hell until I was able to learn that they did not have the "truth." But this has affected me to this day. For years I believed that God hated me, that I was dead, that is, until I experienced his love. That was the most important day for me, that experience of God. That experience was in 1998. Can you imagine living all those years, from 1969 t 1998 believing that God didn't love you? At that time I lost all of my friends, and that was also a devastating.

I had even told the overseers (as they were called then) that I felt suicidal, and one of them said, "You would just be a Judas."

Wannabee, I know how you feel. I spent too many years crying. And like you this thread enrages me, almost to tears. People don't know what they are getting into when they allow a JW into their home. They are highly trained in how to brainwash people. I remember how when I first began studying they told me the good things, and then later on when I accepted those, they told me that I couldn't accept blood tranfusions or Christmas, birthdays, Easter, etc.

And yes, Dijay knows that you mean that they considered non jws pagans, but an exjw is as apostate, which is far worse.

And people like Dijay and others are counting time by being on the internet witnessing. The more hours you witness to people the better you look to other witnesses.

Quote:
You made that quite plain in your piece.
I had a very bad temper as a young person. Its gone now.
JWs taught me how not to hate people of another race, how to practice self-control, how to show genuine Christian love to one another, how to stay out of trouble with the law, how to respect life, avoid abusing drugs and alcohol, avoid quarrels and fights, repudiate any kind of violence and a host of other good things.
Yet, I see here that some people think there is something WRONG with all this?
If the JWs helped you with your temper, that is good.
If they taught you to not be a racist, that is good.
and on and on, but what they didn't teach any of us is to love those who have done wrong or who have decided to leave because they could not believe anymore. This teaching of shunning is not LOVE. The reason they do this is because they fear that the person who is disfellowshipped will find out that they don't have the truth and will cause others to leave also. If they have the truth then they should not fear this. If a person is really moral, then someone that they consider immoral will not be able to drag them down.

And last of all, unless I need to post more tomorrow:

EX JWs are not always immoral. I happen to lead a very moral life. I happen to believe in and love God. I am not in turmoil no more than wannabe. But I know that JWs are taught that the world is a cruel place; they only look at the bad in people. There are many people in the world who are kind and who help others. There are many people that are more moral than the JWs ever thought of being. I have met them, but I am not taking anything away from a JW who does lead a moral life. But you know what? I found people on the outside to be kinder towards me than the Witnesses. I was actually in shock when I learned this new truth. The reason for this I believe is that these people do not judge me for my beliefs or how I feel about things. They like me for who I am and not because I believe exactly the same as they, which I don't.

well, there was more:

Quote:
You opted for independence from God
Wow! No one is independent from God.

Last edited by Mattie Jo; 04-01-2010 at 04:00 PM..

Old 04-01-2010, 03:57 PM

580 posts, read 919,642 times
As much as I hear about JW's being way over the top (and trust me I'll believe it after all I've heard), the one time I've actually met JW's was surprisingly nice.
I was in Costa Rica few years back for a Spanish language home stay program, and the family I was assigned to were "Testigos de Yahweh," or Jehova's Witnesses. Surprisingly, they only asked me once if I wanted to go to church with them, and seemed to take no offense when I declined. In fact, one of the few times I saw them doing anything regarding religion around the house was when I had a headache or something and they said some small prayer to rid me off it.
Kinda weird, but not at all what I'd heard from most people. In all honesty, I'm sure there are quite a few who are every bit the loud and vocal religious type, but not all.

Old 04-01-2010, 09:38 PM

661 posts, read 1,032,499 times
This question came up a couple of years ago on this forum and I will post most of what I had to say then as I still feel the same way about the subject.

I was a JW for nearly 40 years, an elder for some of those. About 8 years ago I had a breakdown. I stepped down as an elder. I hoped and prayed that Jehovah would be there for me, hearing my 'groanings unuttered' and give me strength to pull through. I got nothing, only advice from elders/brothers to pray more, study more, attend all the meetings and go out in the ministry. I COULD not do those things. I felt abandoned and worthless. I was going to die at Armageddon.

People started to treat me differently. I had the sympathy vote at first from many lovely brothers and sisters who knew me, but gradually, the sympathy wore off. There must be something wrong with me....because God's advice (through the WT) was infallible. Eventually, through a very kind and helpful ex JW, who had been an elder himself, I started to research my faith.

I was so hurt and horrified when I found out that they had 'massaged' their history, in the Proclaimers Book and have been dishonest when quoting secular sources. They had been affiliated with the United Nations for 10 years. They have paid out millions of dollars in out of court settlements to victims of child abuse in the USA. They arbitrarily change major doctrines, like the 'generation' prophecy (3 times in 15 years and ever more ridiculous) and blame it on the brothers and sisters. The Governing Body are arrogant and NEVER apologize for their mistakes.

In short, I feel like I have been betrayed by my mentors, my best friends. I had put my trust in these men on the Governing Body and they had taught me false doctrines.

The Watchtower magazine is like a fourth grade textbook. You have to answer what the paragraph says. It is repeated over and over and over, so that the message is reinforced into the mind of the listener, eg..how 'evil' 'APOSTATES' are. In fact that word has come to symbolize the very epitome of evil, far worse than child molesters, fornicators etc. You would almost think they were afraid of the apostates. As far as the other churches only having the 'milk' of the word, that is blatant propaganda from the WT Society. I have listened to many preachers, experts, on TV and radio, dissecting the Scriptures in much the same way as the organization does. They have a LOT of biblical knowledge.

I have family who are still JWs. For the sake of my integrity I had to leave. It was painful, difficult, and still is, because although I am not disfellowshipped, there are many friends I used to have who treat me as if I am. I am not bitter and twisted, despite the way I have been treated and although I have moved on with my life I am constantly rubbing shoulders with the Organization, through my family. I have also met many who are still hurting from their treatment by the WT Society and if I can help by letting them know they are not alone, then I will.

Old 04-01-2010, 09:42 PM

661 posts, read 1,032,499 times
With regard to 'shunning', when I was 'in' I viewed it as tough love, to try to regain these errant ones.

After leaving I saw just how unloving and evil it is. Many, many JWs who are born into the faith are encouraged, even pressured, to get baptized in their early teens. I was baptized at 13 and a lot of my friends were of similar age.

What I never realized was that I was far too young to make this kind of decision in my life.

This is what the book, Your Youth, Getting the Best Out of it (1976) printed by the Watchtower, had to say regarding your teenage years:

... 'Right now you are in a transition time, a period of change. Your body doesn't reach that stage until sometime between the ages of twenty and twenty three. It can take still longer for you to reach emotional maturity. Some of the changes taking place in you could make you feel confused and unsure of yourself.'

On one hand, the WT encourages children to postpone marital commitment until they are more mature, but pressurize them into baptism and life and death decisions like refusing blood BEFORE they reach the age of maturity (as defined by THEM).

You are not old enough to drive, drink, marry, join the army, vote, but you can dedicate your life to God? Why did Jesus not get baptized until he was 30..Why dont the JWs take that Scripture as an example?? He was the Son of God!

So after getting baptized too young, teenagers go through that rebellion stage. To a greater or lesser extent, they all do it. Their rebellion may be a cry for help, and what does the WT do? They cut them off at the very time in their lives when they need support and help.

A few years later they have reached maturity, settled down, maybe have a family...and because they have not walked back into the Kingdom Hall and begged forgiveness from the body of elders, they are deprived of their JW family members for the rest of their lives. That is wrong, wrong, wrong.

Btw, please show me the Scriptural basis for having those who wish to come back go through an humiliating ordeal of months of attending meetings while still being shunned. The Scriptural example I know is of the prodigal son, whose father came 'running out to meet him' and we all know what he had been up to while he was away from his fathers home.

Old 04-01-2010, 10:56 PM

11,798 posts, read 21,420,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie Jo View Post
Wow! No one is independent from God.
Wanna bet?

Old 04-02-2010, 05:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
Wanna bet?
Yes. We are all part of God and therefore do not exist without
God. Everything is God. But that is my own belief; others can have their beliefs as well.

Old 04-02-2010, 09:45 AM

1,252 posts, read 3,019,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringwielder View Post
Eventually, through a very kind and helpful ex JW, who had been an elder himself, I started to research my faith.
I was so hurt and horrified when I found out that they had 'massaged' their history, in the Proclaimers Book and have been dishonest when quoting secular sources. They had been affiliated with the United Nations for 10 years. They have paid out millions of dollars in out of court settlements to victims of child abuse in the USA. They arbitrarily change major doctrines, like the 'generation' prophecy (3 times in 15 years and ever more ridiculous) and blame it on the brothers and sisters. The Governing Body are arrogant and NEVER apologize for their mistakes.
When I researched the WT Society in 2000 after leaving in 1975, I was horrified too. When I read the real Truth, I was mortified at what I saw.
Quote:
The Watchtower magazine is like a fourth grade textbook. You have to answer what the paragraph says. It is repeated over and over and over, so that the message is reinforced into the mind of the listener, eg..how 'evil' 'APOSTATES' are. In fact that word has come to symbolize the very epitome of evil, far worse than child molesters, fornicators etc. You would almost think they were afraid of the apostates.
How true! Evil is everywhere, and pretty much everybody. They have a very pessimistic viewpoint of the planet and all of its inhabitants, and how ironic that they all act so happy. I think they are afraid of apostates because we are independent thinkers, and they certainly aren't going to allow people to think for themselves. Then where would they be? The WTS says there are 7,313,173 Witnesses, which is like 1% of the world population, so MOST people are not Witnesses and are allowed to think for themselves. To me, the WTS is just a big publishing company that runs a religion on the side.
Quote:
I am not bitter and twisted, despite the way I have been treated and although I have moved on with my life I am constantly rubbing shoulders with the Organization, through my family. I have also met many who are still hurting from their treatment by the WT Society and if I can help by letting them know they are not alone, then I will.
Thank you for letting ME know. It DOES help.

Old 04-03-2010, 05:39 AM

2,550 posts, read 3,785,485 times
One of my mom's best friends is a Jehovah Witness. She's very nice and such. I remember as a kid, I grew up Catholic, and my mom would take me to the Halloween parties and such with my best friend. Well, our other childhood best friend never could come because he was a J.W. But I learned later on in life that they didn't believe in holidays so that's why they never came to any of the Halloween parties, birthdays, and such. But they were very nice people and kept a very orderly household too.

My mom's best friend, even took care of me when I was a baby while my mom worked. She was so nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality