Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-03-2010, 10:36 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,175,776 times

Advertisements

JW's are often nice people. They are fun to argue with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2010, 12:11 AM

1,868 posts, read 3,066,364 times
Half of my family is JW (mostly on my father's side of the family) and I attended meetings for a good chunk of my childhood.

Regarding the shunning practice (called disfellowshipping):
in order to be disfellowshipped, you must do some sort of serious act to be in direct violation of the bible, I.E. Adultry, murder, drug useage (cigarettes don't count), etc. Family members may not be allowed to communicate with other family members who have been disfellowshipped but in order to be disfellowshipped, you must be baptized. JW's don't believe in baptism at birth but rather when you have decided to make JW's your lifelong faith. I left the congregation when I was in my teens but had never been baptized, so I was still able to speek with my family members who were still attending.

Regarding door to door preaching (called pioneering):
there are a certain selection of people from each congregation called pioneers that go door to door "preaching the good news" aka: trying to get you to attend their congregation. Pioneers are very skilled at arguing and making their point (they have many years experience) so if you aren't interested then simply don't answer the door or politely say that you're not interested. Yes, they are trying to convert you to their faith but a lot of religions do that. In their minds, they are saving you.

Regarding the Watchtower publication:
JW's heavily rely on the Watchtower publication (as well as "Awake!") to interpret the bible for them. They devote half of every meeting to reading the watchtower and answering questions the Watchtower imposes. The other half of the meetings are "talks" aka, sermons given by brothers and elders.

Regarding elders:
one thing that really bothered me with the denomination was the elders. Elders are men who have been with the religion for a very long time and have demonstrated their commitment and understanding of the bible and the Watchtower. Every so often, they would dissapear behind locked doors and have what's called "elder's meetings". They were never allowed to talk about what was discussed in there but I've read stories that they discuss everything from numbers and figures (i.e. Donations made, new members), to new interpretions of scriptures to even trying to predict armogeddon's date.

Regarding armogeddon:
the JW's believe that Armogeddon is eminent and that anybody who isn't with the JW's will suffer god's wrath through nature ("the earth will tremble and the skies will show their fury"). After armogeddon, the earth will be turned to paradise and all the JW's -living and dead- will walk paradise earth for eternity. A select 144,000 will be turned into angels to join Christ in heaven.

Regarding the cross:
JW's do not worship the cross as they believe it is a form of symbology.

Regarding holidays:
with the exception of memorial (not memorial day), JW's do not worship holidays due to their pagan origins. Memorial arrives once every so often and always on a full moon (it's based off the lunar calandar).

Regarding blood transfusions:
The JW's believe blood is sacred and as such, do not accept blood transfusions, even if it will save one's life.

To the OP,
you can go but rest assured that there will be substantial pressure placed upon you to keep coming back. When you move, they will pressure you to find a congregation in the area you are moving to. I've known a few people who have gone and when they stopped going, they recieved phone calls from people wondering why they had stopped coming and tried to get them to come back. JW's are nice people but HEAVILY devoted to their faith. It is perhaps the most extreme denomination of Christianity. You're call.

Old 04-04-2010, 04:22 AM

5,004 posts, read 15,346,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adric View Post

in order to be disfellowshipped, you must do some sort of serious act to be in direct violation of the bible, I.E. Adultry, murder, drug useage (cigarettes don't count), etc. Family members may not be allowed to communicate with other family members who have been disfellowshipped but in order to be disfellowshipped, you must be baptized. JW's don't believe in baptism at birth but rather when you have decided to make JW's your lifelong faith. I left the congregation when I was in my teens but had never been baptized, so I was still able to speek with my family members who were still attending.
This isn't exactly true. You can get disfellowshipped for lots of reasons. One lie can get you kicked out. I read about an elderly man that was a JW for most of his life, and he gave something to the Red Cross. They kicked him out. I knew of a pregnant woman that went horse back riding and was bucked off her own horse. The baby died, so they kicked her out and called her a murderer. As if that was her intention. You can get kicked out if you don't believe everything they are saying. If you walk away they will look for a reason to kick you out. if you are raped and you didn't kick and fight and scream, you can be kicked out. and while you are told to confess, and then only be put on probation, most that do are then kicked out with no probabation. Here is a sick reason to reject a person:

Quote:
My mom and I ended up moving to New York, I was still going through emotional crap, I ended up in a mental hospital twice, and in a shelter because I wasn't allowed back home, I was living with my mom and my grandparents and which my grandparents became afraid of me. But I noticed other people at the hospital and at the shelter were a lot more helpful than witnesses ever were, they were there for me and my mom even met some of the people when she would visit me, they were nice to her too, They didn't judge and didn't make me or my om feel like crap, I met more loving people who were non-witnesses than witnesses.
Here is a website that shows this and some other reasons: EX Jehovahs Witnesses why did you leave or was kicked out? - Yahoo! Answers

and as you read this site, one woman was disfellowshipped for being raped:

Ex-Jehovah's Witness Testimonies

Old 04-04-2010, 04:34 AM

8,276 posts, read 12,854,528 times
At the risk of shreeks... I had a couople of JW's come to my door when I was about 22 and asked if I knew God, I said yes touched their foreheads and said and he sends his blessing and I closed the door... they never came back.

I have always found it an arrogant POV to think one sect had "the answer" if you had the answer you wouldn't be here working out your karma now would you? If you want to see some out there service.. take a look at RLDS and I'm sure the LDS as well. Seems to resemble the scientologist... a religion developed by someone to prove he could get people to believe any BS he put out there....

What happened to common sense? I suggest that those that go tell others how much they know show the opposite. Don't tell someone you know God, show them.

Old 04-04-2010, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie Jo View Post
This isn't exactly true. You can get disfellowshipped for lots of reasons. One lie can get you kicked out. I read about an elderly man that was a JW for most of his life, and he gave something to the Red Cross. They kicked him out. I knew of a pregnant woman that went horse back riding and was bucked off her own horse. The baby died, so they kicked her out and called her a murderer. As if that was her intention. You can get kicked out if you don't believe everything they are saying. If you walk away they will look for a reason to kick you out. if you are raped and you didn't kick and fight and scream, you can be kicked out. and while you are told to confess, and then only be put on probation, most that do are then kicked out with no probabation. Here is a sick reason to reject a person:

Here is a website that shows this and some other reasons: EX Jehovahs Witnesses why did you leave or was kicked out? - Yahoo! Answers

and as you read this site, one woman was disfellowshipped for being raped:

Ex-Jehovah's Witness Testimonies
Sorry. I should have said that you're SUPPOSED to get disfellowshipped for doing serious acts in direct violation with the bible and the witnesses. However, this isn't always the case as we all know. My mother got disfellowshipped for divorcing my father.

Oh and that one guy probably got kicked out for giving blood to the red cross. Giving or recieving blood is a big no no to the JW's.

Old 04-04-2010, 09:58 AM

253 posts, read 794,781 times
Quote:
Half of my family is JW (mostly on my father's side of the family) and I attended meetings for a good chunk of my childhood.

Regarding door to door preaching (called pioneering):
there are a certain selection of people from each congregation called pioneers that go door to door "preaching the good news" aka: trying to get you to attend their congregation. Pioneers are very skilled at arguing and making their point (they have many years experience) so if you aren't interested then simply don't answer the door or politely say that you're not interested. Yes, they are trying to convert you to their faith but a lot of religions do that. In their minds, they are saving you.

Regarding the Watchtower publication:
JW's heavily rely on the Watchtower publication (as well as "Awake!") to interpret the bible for them. They devote half of every meeting to reading the watchtower and answering questions the Watchtower imposes. The other half of the meetings are "talks" aka, sermons given by brothers and elders.

Regarding elders:
one thing that really bothered me with the denomination was the elders. Elders are men who have been with the religion for a very long time and have demonstrated their commitment and understanding of the bible and the Watchtower. Every so often, they would dissapear behind locked doors and have what's called "elder's meetings". They were never allowed to talk about what was discussed in there but I've read stories that they discuss everything from numbers and figures (i.e. Donations made, new members), to new interpretions of scriptures to even trying to predict armogeddon's date.

Regarding armogeddon:
the JW's believe that Armogeddon is eminent and that anybody who isn't with the JW's will suffer god's wrath through nature ("the earth will tremble and the skies will show their fury"). After armogeddon, the earth will be turned to paradise and all the JW's -living and dead- will walk paradise earth for eternity. A select 144,000 will be turned into angels to join Christ in heaven.

Regarding the cross:
JW's do not worship the cross as they believe it is a form of symbology.

Regarding holidays:
with the exception of memorial (not memorial day), JW's do not worship holidays due to their pagan origins. Memorial arrives once every so often and always on a full moon (it's based off the lunar calandar).

Regarding blood transfusions:
The JW's believe blood is sacred and as such, do not accept blood transfusions, even if it will save one's life.

To the OP,
you can go but rest assured that there will be substantial pressure placed upon you to keep coming back. When you move, they will pressure you to find a congregation in the area you are moving to. I've known a few people who have gone and when they stopped going, they recieved phone calls from people wondering why they had stopped coming and tried to get them to come back. JW's are nice people but HEAVILY devoted to their faith. It is perhaps the most extreme denomination of Christianity. You're call.

Well, I've been going for a while now and I definitely feel the pressure. My cousins have me doing a bible study on saturdays, going to meetings on sundays (boring as heck, I hate it with a passion.). Now they are talking to me about being an unbaptized publisher and going to meetings on thursdays as well (I guess I'm pretty convincing when I tell them that I believe everything being taught. ). This is starting to cut into my time a lot. I wish June would get here fast. I hate trying to please everyone.

There are times when I just want to shout "Enough! I can't take it anymore! I'm an atheist!"

Old 04-04-2010, 10:43 AM

1,252 posts, read 3,484,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mintleif View Post
Well, I've been going for a while now and I definitely feel the pressure. My cousins have me doing a bible study on saturdays, going to meetings on sundays (boring as heck, I hate it with a passion.). Now they are talking to me about being an unbaptized publisher and going to meetings on thursdays as well (I guess I'm pretty convincing when I tell them that I believe everything being taught. ). This is starting to cut into my time a lot. I wish June would get here fast. I hate trying to please everyone.
There are times when I just want to shout "Enough! I can't take it anymore! I'm an atheist!"
Step by step, inch by inch, slowly but steadily it will take up ALL of your time......that is the goal. When you move they will suggest you continue to go to the KH in your new community. If you start asking them too many questions, they will not make it to June. Either way, the end is near.

Old 04-04-2010, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintleif View Post

Yes. Did you know that JW's actually discourage higher education in favor of pioneering and training to give talks at meetings? What's the point of higher education when god's wrath is going to reign down any day now?

At the risk of sounding harsh, I will say get out. Get out now. They're already sucking you in and the more you prolong it, the harder it will be for you and your cousins. If you really do believe what they teach then more power to you as you've found a faith that makes you happy. Sence you don't, then get out while you still can with minimal damage to the relationship with your cousins.

Old 04-04-2010, 05:23 PM

661 posts, read 1,183,601 times
Quote:
Sorry. I should have said that you're SUPPOSED to get disfellowshipped for doing serious acts in direct violation with the bible and the witnesses. However, this isn't always the case as we all know. My mother got disfellowshipped for divorcing my father.

Oh and that one guy probably got kicked out for giving blood to the red cross. Giving or recieving blood is a big no no to the JW's.
And I hate to be pedantic but its not actually the sin you are disfellowshipped for. It is whether or not the elders on your 'judicial commitee'... a closed court of 3/4 elders, decide if you are repentant or not. This can be a lottery, especially if one or more of the elders dont like you, or have some sort of agenda.

My wifes ex cheated on her when he was an elder. He was not disfellowshipped, but just reproved. They split and she was left, hurt and lonely, with 2 very young children to look after. A man, who was not a JW, came into her life and she ended up looking for comfort in his arms and in bed.

Her conscience ate at her though and a few weeks later she confessed to the elders. They held a judicial committee and, notwithstanding that she had gone voluntarily to them and confessed her sins, disfellowshipped her.
That day, her grandparents, parents, sister and brother, who, following the Society and not listening to her side of the story, have now not spoken to her for 6 years. They live in the same small town, and they would cross the street to avoid her if they saw her.

Unless she goes through a humiliating process which lasts several months or longer to return to the fold, she is dead to the forever.

That is crooked justice and I have read, heard and seen so many experiences like this that I believe shunning is wicked. If someone breaks the rules and is excommunicated, then the decision to talk to someone or not should be a personal decision, not one decided for you by other men, who cannot even tell you what a person has been disfellowshipped for, so the congregation are left guessing whether the person was a smoker or a pedophile, a drunkard or a fornicator.

Old 04-04-2010, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringwielder View Post
And I hate to be pedantic but its not actually the sin you are disfellowshipped for. It is whether or not the elders on your 'judicial commitee'... a closed court of 3/4 elders, decide if you are repentant or not. This can be a lottery, especially if one or more of the elders dont like you, or have some sort of agenda.

My wifes ex cheated on her when he was an elder. He was not disfellowshipped, but just reproved. They split and she was left, hurt and lonely, with 2 very young children to look after. A man, who was not a JW, came into her life and she ended up looking for comfort in his arms and in bed.

Her conscience ate at her though and a few weeks later she confessed to the elders. They held a judicial committee and, notwithstanding that she had gone voluntarily to them and confessed her sins, disfellowshipped her.
That day, her grandparents, parents, sister and brother, who, following the Society and not listening to her side of the story, have now not spoken to her for 6 years. They live in the same small town, and they would cross the street to avoid her if they saw her.

Unless she goes through a humiliating process which lasts several months or longer to return to the fold, she is dead to the forever.

That is crooked justice and I have read, heard and seen so many experiences like this that I believe shunning is wicked. If someone breaks the rules and is excommunicated, then the decision to talk to someone or not should be a personal decision, not one decided for you by other men, who cannot even tell you what a person has been disfellowshipped for, so the congregation are left guessing whether the person was a smoker or a pedophile, a drunkard or a fornicator.
Oh I agree. I've read the stories too. I'm not trying to defend them but rather say things as how they happened to me.
Christians should not shun people in their time of need or when they screw up. People need help the most when they are making mistakes. It's not just the JW's either (although they are the only ones that will actively shun people). People in general are very judgmental. This is why I stopped going to churches. My friends and family help me in my times of need more than most so called "Christians" I've known ever did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality