U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2010, 06:38 PM

21,280 posts, read 20,893,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adric View Post
Half of my family is JW (mostly on my father's side of the family) and I attended meetings for a good chunk of my childhood.

Regarding the shunning practice (called disfellowshipping):
in order to be disfellowshipped, you must do some sort of serious act to be in direct violation of the bible, I.E. Adultry, murder, drug useage (cigarettes don't count), etc. Family members may not be allowed to communicate with other family members who have been disfellowshipped but in order to be disfellowshipped, you must be baptized. JW's don't believe in baptism at birth but rather when you have decided to make JW's your lifelong faith. I left the congregation when I was in my teens but had never been baptized, so I was still able to speek with my family members who were still attending.

Regarding door to door preaching (called pioneering):
there are a certain selection of people from each congregation called pioneers that go door to door "preaching the good news" aka: trying to get you to attend their congregation. Pioneers are very skilled at arguing and making their point (they have many years experience) so if you aren't interested then simply don't answer the door or politely say that you're not interested. Yes, they are trying to convert you to their faith but a lot of religions do that. In their minds, they are saving you.

Regarding the Watchtower publication:
JW's heavily rely on the Watchtower publication (as well as "Awake!") to interpret the bible for them. They devote half of every meeting to reading the watchtower and answering questions the Watchtower imposes. The other half of the meetings are "talks" aka, sermons given by brothers and elders.

Regarding elders:
one thing that really bothered me with the denomination was the elders. Elders are men who have been with the religion for a very long time and have demonstrated their commitment and understanding of the bible and the Watchtower. Every so often, they would dissapear behind locked doors and have what's called "elder's meetings". They were never allowed to talk about what was discussed in there but I've read stories that they discuss everything from numbers and figures (i.e. Donations made, new members), to new interpretions of scriptures to even trying to predict armogeddon's date.

Regarding armogeddon:
the JW's believe that Armogeddon is eminent and that anybody who isn't with the JW's will suffer god's wrath through nature ("the earth will tremble and the skies will show their fury"). After armogeddon, the earth will be turned to paradise and all the JW's -living and dead- will walk paradise earth for eternity. A select 144,000 will be turned into angels to join Christ in heaven.

Regarding the cross:
JW's do not worship the cross as they believe it is a form of symbology.

Regarding holidays:
with the exception of memorial (not memorial day), JW's do not worship holidays due to their pagan origins. Memorial arrives once every so often and always on a full moon (it's based off the lunar calandar).

Regarding blood transfusions:
The JW's believe blood is sacred and as such, do not accept blood transfusions, even if it will save one's life.

To the OP,
you can go but rest assured that there will be substantial pressure placed upon you to keep coming back. When you move, they will pressure you to find a congregation in the area you are moving to. I've known a few people who have gone and when they stopped going, they recieved phone calls from people wondering why they had stopped coming and tried to get them to come back. JW's are nice people but HEAVILY devoted to their faith. It is perhaps the most extreme denomination of Christianity. You're call.
Adric, thanks for that very insightful post. It seemed to me to be the most objective and honest of any I've read so far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2010, 10:25 PM

30,038 posts, read 30,691,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Adric, thanks for that very insightful post. It seemed to me to be the most objective and honest of any I've read so far.
I agree, except for this one thing...I have a friend who was shunned by even her kids because she was seen smoking a cigarette.

Old 04-04-2010, 10:43 PM

21,280 posts, read 20,893,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
I agree, except for this one thing...I have a friend who was shunned by even her kids because she was seen smoking a cigarette.
Hmmm. Well, that actually raises another issue. To what degree should a religion be held accountable for the choices of its members? If the children were instructed by their church leaders to shun their mother, it would be one thing. If it was their own decision and was not encouraged by the church, it would be another. I try to make this distinction simply because certain people seem to be inclined to go overboard on things, even though their church (whatever church it may be) would not necessarily support their actions.

Old 04-05-2010, 04:49 AM

4,997 posts, read 13,549,180 times
in this case katzpur, it would be the jws that have taught their children to shun for "even" smoking a cigerette. sad as that is.

Old 04-11-2010, 03:00 AM

p.s. have you noticed how this thread died once two exjws got on board? me thinks that jws do not wish to deal with exs. sad that is.

Old 04-11-2010, 10:07 AM

1,252 posts, read 3,012,184 times
Yes, I have noticed! Maybe the elders are helping them prepare the next post to the apostates!
Sunday is here and as usual for the last thirty-five years, I wake up thinking "what a relief, I don't have to go to the Kingdom Hall".

Old 04-11-2010, 10:14 AM

253 posts, read 691,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabee View Post
Yes, I have noticed! Maybe the elders are helping them prepare the next post to the apostates!
Sunday is here and as usual for the last thirty-five years, I wake up thinking "what a relief, I don't have to go to the Kingdom Hall".

Lucky! I have to go in about 3 1/2 hours. Grrr. It's so obnoxiously boring and I feel like I'm in 3rd grade again when we read the magazine and answer questions. ugh.

Old 04-11-2010, 10:39 AM

6,571 posts, read 17,969,097 times
Do believe the JW have a problem within their own teachings.

If your dying and a person offers a cure...they refuse the cure and of course DIE.

Case in point.

A short few yrs back (I'm retired in Baja) a couple from Michigan (JW's) came by and talked to me. He was a Vet and I mentioned the VA in San Diego for some of his needs.
Turned out he had Cancer and the VA offered some treatment that he refused and they told him that he would end up at home and DIE...which he did.

Few months later his wife came by and said that her husband had passed away.

Question..."whos fault was it that this man had to DIE when treatment was available"?

Old 04-13-2010, 02:50 AM

Such a horrible story. The brainwashing that goes on there. Who is at fault? Whoever in the society that created this teaching in the first place. Those that follow have all been brainwashed.

Old 04-13-2010, 08:37 AM

1,252 posts, read 3,012,184 times
In the eighties, when my Jay-dub Maternal Grandmother was 96, and in a nursing home for five or six years, a Doctor recommended a blood transfusion for her. My Jay-dub parents refused of course, and she died weeks later. She would have died eventually, but would that blood have kept her going another year? She had Alzheimer's, osteoporosis, and arteriosclerosis. The brainwashing of the "religion before family" concept and the hold the Society has on these people is truly amazing, and I saw it first-hand.

I knew during my childhood that if something bad happened to me and blood was needed to save my life, that I wouldn't be here typing this now. Good Jay-dubs allow their loved ones to die, and will point to the explaining scripture at the same time. Now my Jay-dub Mother has been in a nursing home for ten years with Alzheimer's and osteoporosis and she can still identify her three children. She's not really in bad shape, but If something were to happen, there is a DNR in place and it gets renewed every six months. She would never accept blood or any life-saving measure. I may not agree with her beliefs but I will respect her wishes when the time comes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality