U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-22-2011, 02:11 PM

656 posts, read 901,255 times

Advertisements

Had them come by and knock on our door when I was maybe 13 or 14. My mom was out and my dad was in the middle of something so he told me to just get rid of them. I listened to them for a little while before seeing them off. They came back a week or two later when I was out mowing the lawn and tried to pitch to me again. Didn't even bother asking for my parents this time, they just started in on me.

Trying to convert a kid when his parents aren't around seems pretty sleazy to me. Fortunately I had a decent BS detector even at that age, but I hate to think about other kids in similar scenarios that may have been duped into their little group over the years.

edit: on the upside, though, they can provide great opportunities for grownup fun. If you see them coming up your sidewalk and have a little imagination, the right props (think fake blood and/or temporary tattoos with satanic imagery), and a minute or two to "get into character", the possibilities are endless.

Last edited by Stavemaster; 04-22-2011 at 02:17 PM.. Reason: more
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2011, 06:38 PM

10,452 posts, read 10,226,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
I have not known an JW's personally and I don't see them where I live now. In California they knocked on my door regularly until I put up a sign saying, "No Watchtower people". What really ticked me off and prompted me to hang the sign was when they came knocking on Christmas Day just as my kids and I were sitting down to enjoy our Christmas dinner. To top it all off, they sent their little boy--about 9-10 years old--to the door alone while they remained on the sidewalk. I gave the adults standing on the sidewalk a chewing out for that. I thought it was nervy, thoughtless and rude to go out proselytizing on a day when they knew people would be enjoying family dinners and would not want to have to deal with them.
The rationale the JW's told me behind this was that when they could never catch people on regular days, they would go back to on holidays. Not that that justifies anything, but that is what they told me. Again, I don't think they are trying to be malicious when they do this, but they really aren't thinking about other people.

Old 04-22-2011, 09:24 PM

661 posts, read 1,029,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsoncole View Post
Kind of ironic dont you think, a homosexual defending the JWs.

Old 04-22-2011, 09:34 PM

661 posts, read 1,029,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
I know people that were baptized at 12-13 but not 7-8.
I have heard of a few being baptized at 7 or 8. I was 13 and I know many who were that age.

YouTube - Child Baptism - Watchtower Comments

Old 04-22-2011, 09:48 PM

10,452 posts, read 10,226,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringwielder View Post
I have heard of a few being baptized at 7 or 8. I was 13 and I know many who were that age.

YouTube - Child Baptism - Watchtower Comments
Wow.

Old 04-22-2011, 10:18 PM

1,197 posts, read 1,558,795 times
They annoy the hell out of me, if I wanted to listen to a bunch of asinine blabber I would start going to church again.

Old 04-23-2011, 12:14 AM

13,849 posts, read 9,648,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regs4rl View Post

There are times when I just want to shout "Enough! I can't take it anymore! I'm an atheist!"
Well why don't you be true to yourself (and others) and do so.?

Old 04-23-2011, 08:04 AM

646 posts, read 529,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringwielder View Post
Kind of ironic dont you think, a homosexual defending the JWs.
Well - what do you know?
Even the demons have tried promoting the work of God.
Read Acts 16:16-18.

He does not need their help.

(\__/)
( ‘ .‘ )
>(^)<

Wilson

Old 04-23-2011, 09:12 AM

646 posts, read 529,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudcommando View Post
They annoy the hell out of me, if I wanted to listen to a bunch of asinine blabber I would start going to church again.
Many people want to hear what we have to say.
Over 700 people around the world become Jehovah's Witnesses every day.
That's 29.1 people every hour!
We are searching for a certain type of people and we must do it thoroughly.
What type?
“When those of the nations heard this, they began to rejoice and to glorify the word of Jehovah, and all those who were rightly disposed for everlasting life became believers.” (Acts 13:48)

This was prophesied in a vision to Ezekiel:
“And, look! there were six men coming from the direction of the upper gate that faces to the north, each one with his weapon for smashing in his hand; and there was one man in among them clothed with linen, with a secretary’s inkhorn at his hips, and they proceeded to come in and stand beside the copper altar. And as regards the glory of the God of Israel, it was taken up from over the cherubs over which it happened to be to the threshold of the house, and he began calling out to the man that was clothed with the linen, at whose hips there was the secretary’s inkhorn. And Jehovah went on to say to him: “Pass through the midst of the city, through the midst of Jerusalem, and you must put a mark on the foreheads of the men that are sighing and groaning over all the detestable things that are being done in the midst of it.”” (Ezekiel 9:2-4)

This signifies that, if a person likes the world the way it is run today, sees no reason for "sighing and groaning" about its greed, corruption and evil, then he does not qualify for receiving that "mark."

However, other people - like you - show a different attitude:
“Furthermore, the word of Jehovah went on being carried throughout the whole country. But the Jews stirred up the reputable women who worshiped [God] and the principal men of the city, and they raised up a persecution against Paul and Bar′na·bas and threw them outside their boundaries. These shook the dust off their feet against them and went to I·co′ni·um. And the disciples continued to be filled with joy and holy spirit.” (Acts 13:49-52)

This work will not slow down nor be stopped until it is finished. How much longer?
“At this I said: “How long, O Jehovah?” Then he said: “Until the cities actually crash in ruins, to be without an inhabitant, . . .” (Isaiah 6:11)

In the meantime, we have work to do:
“Thou shalt speak my words unto them, whether they will hear, or whether they will forbear.” (Ezek. 2:7, AS)

(\__/)
( ‘ .‘ )
>(^)<

Wilson

Old 04-23-2011, 09:34 AM

1,197 posts, read 1,558,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsoncole View Post
Many people want to hear what we have to say.
Over 700 people around the world become Jehovah's Witnesses every day.
That's 29.1 people every hour!
We are searching for a certain type of people and we must do it thoroughly.
What type?
“When those of the nations heard this, they began to rejoice and to glorify the word of Jehovah, and all those who were rightly disposed for everlasting life became believers.” (Acts 13:48)

This was prophesied in a vision to Ezekiel:
“And, look! there were six men coming from the direction of the upper gate that faces to the north, each one with his weapon for smashing in his hand; and there was one man in among them clothed with linen, with a secretary’s inkhorn at his hips, and they proceeded to come in and stand beside the copper altar. And as regards the glory of the God of Israel, it was taken up from over the cherubs over which it happened to be to the threshold of the house, and he began calling out to the man that was clothed with the linen, at whose hips there was the secretary’s inkhorn. And Jehovah went on to say to him: “Pass through the midst of the city, through the midst of Jerusalem, and you must put a mark on the foreheads of the men that are sighing and groaning over all the detestable things that are being done in the midst of it.”” (Ezekiel 9:2-4)

This signifies that, if a person likes the world the way it is run today, sees no reason for "sighing and groaning" about its greed, corruption and evil, then he does not qualify for receiving that "mark."

However, other people - like you - show a different attitude:
“Furthermore, the word of Jehovah went on being carried throughout the whole country. But the Jews stirred up the reputable women who worshiped [God] and the principal men of the city, and they raised up a persecution against Paul and Bar′na·bas and threw them outside their boundaries. These shook the dust off their feet against them and went to I·co′ni·um. And the disciples continued to be filled with joy and holy spirit.” (Acts 13:49-52)

This work will not slow down nor be stopped until it is finished. How much longer?
“At this I said: “How long, O Jehovah?” Then he said: “Until the cities actually crash in ruins, to be without an inhabitant, . . .” (Isaiah 6:11)

In the meantime, we have work to do:
“Thou shalt speak my words unto them, whether they will hear, or whether they will forbear.” (Ezek. 2:7, AS)

(\__/)
( ‘ .‘ )
>(^)<

Wilson
Good for you! Go preach to them then.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality