Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2011, 10:02 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,538,911 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsoncole View Post
How do you know that?

(\__/)
( ‘ .‘ )
>(^)<

Wilson
From talking with them and from the literature they leave with me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 02:07 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Quote:

Jehovah's Witnesses are not salespeople. You can rest assured that we will never try to sell dope to your children nor try to get money from you nor anyone you know.

(\__/)
( ‘ .‘ )
>(^)<

Wilson
You're selling your religion.

Old 04-25-2011, 03:19 PM

335 posts, read 375,727 times
Quote:

This work cannot be stopped by anything, including the legal systems:
Supreme Court cases involving Jehovah's Witnesses by country - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Hitler's mighty juggernaut failed miserably.
Even though Rutherford (the leader of the JW's) was anti-semitic and favorable toward Hitler: Rutherford and the Watchtower's support of Hitler

Quote:
Take a look at some of the legal cases that have been won over the years - cases that has served to ensure the practicing of freedom of speech for everyone in the US:
And consider their interfaith support to try and keep the practice of asking for monetary donations which failed in court: Jehovah's Witnesses and Jimmy Swaggart

JW's court efforts are not for the purpose of helping others, only themselves. If it helps others, it is simply a byproduct as they take advantage of favorable court decisions won by other religions.

Old 04-25-2011, 03:21 PM

360 posts, read 444,476 times
Their faith is admirable, though a little annoying at times.

Old 04-25-2011, 07:16 PM

661 posts, read 1,184,033 times
Quote:
That's a very negative aspect.
“Jehovah is not slow respecting his promise, as some people consider slowness, but he is patient with you because he does not desire any to be destroyed but desires all to attain to repentance.” (2 Peter 3:9)

Your God doesnt desire to save all otherwise he would have brought the system to an end by now, that is the point I was making...do you realize that in one year approximately 180 million people are born, only 260 thousand become JWs... every year that goes by the gap gets bigger and bigger. He knows all are not going to attain to repentance but he lets it go on and on and on...

I do not make the criteria. Jehovah's criteria is determined by what people DO - not by what they say or how many of them there are.
Scripture is written for, by and about Jehovah's Witnesses, considering it is His book of instructions for believers only and everyone who gives testimony about Jehovah and his kingdom of righteousness is a witness of his.
ALL of the patriarchs of ancient times who put faith in Jehovah and lived by HIS standards, including Jesus Christ, stand as witnesses of Jehovah.
“May YOU have undeserved kindness and peace from “The One who is and who was and who is coming,” and from the seven spirits that are before his throne, and from Jesus Christ, “the Faithful Witness,” “The firstborn from the dead,” and “The Ruler of the kings of the earth.”. . .” (Revelation 1:4-5)

“And yet all these, although they had witness borne to them through their faith, did not get the [fulfillment of the] promise, 40 as God foresaw something better for us, in order that they might not be made perfect apart from us. 12 So, then, because we have so great a cloud of witnesses surrounding us, let us also put off every weight and the sin that easily entangles us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us,” (Hebrews 11:39-12:1)

YOU are my witnesses,” is the utterance of Jehovah, “even my servant whom I have chosen, in order that YOU may know and have faith in me, and that YOU may understand that I am the same One. Before me there was no God formed, and after me there continued to be none. 11 I—I am Jehovah, and besides me there is no savior.”” (Isaiah 43:10-11)

Just because the Bible says the word 'Witness', does not mean that it is referring to Jehovah's Witnesses! Other people witness for God too and Isaiah was talking about the Jews.

I do not believe you can support that conclusion with provable facts.
You are mistaken!
No article fulfills any prophecy!
It is the explanations of the Biblical prophecies in those articles that tell when and how they were fulfilled.

(\__/)
( ‘ .‘ )
>(^)<

Wilson
You obviously are pretty new...its well known that Revelation and Daniel contain prophecies that the JWs believe were fulfilled in proclamations at assemblies like Cedar Point Ohio in 1922 ... well... if it interests anyone, here are some of the outlandish claims of the JWs about how their Organization fulfilled Bible prophecy.

The changing Watchtower interpretation of Bible Prophecy

Old 04-25-2011, 10:24 PM

646 posts, read 634,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driftwood2011 View Post
Even though Rutherford (the leader of the JW's) was anti-semitic and favorable toward Hitler: Rutherford and the Watchtower's support of Hitler
Oh! WoW! The man has a document that proves Rutherford a Nazi sympathizer!
Take a good look at those charges as seen by Historian Detlef Garbe, director at the Neuengamme (Hamburg) Memorial.
Dr. Garbe stated "Numerous judgments found in literature about the Wilmersdorf Declaration include erroneous criticism, or rather, are not fair to the text and the situation."
Now, look at this web page:
Persecution of Jehovah's Witnesses in Nazi Germany - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And make sure you pay careful attention to the section under the subheading:
"Critical review of the Declaration" that is - the Declaration mentioned in your authentic document.
Read carefully and see that your charges are thoroughly debunked.

Quote:
And consider their interfaith support to try and keep the practice of asking for monetary donations which failed in court: Jehovah's Witnesses and Jimmy Swaggart
Interfaith? Are you kidding? There was nothing religious in those discussions - just the law regarding contributions.
It failed - for Swaggart. Because that's how he makes a living, he has to pay the taxes; but it was quite successful for JWs - we don't. We are able to prove that not one dollar goes to personal profit from our religious activities. None of Jehovah's Witnesses gets a salary, no collection is ever taken - yet our bills get paid.
Quote:
JW's court efforts are not for the purpose of helping others, only themselves. If it helps others, it is simply a byproduct as they take advantage of favorable court decisions won by other religions.
I have to wonder why you neglected to give us a single example.

I expect further charges and distortions of facts in your attempt to discredit JWs. But keep this in mind:
I am always ready and able to knock them down.

(\__/)
( ‘ .‘ )
>(^)<

Wilson

Last edited by wilsoncole; 04-25-2011 at 10:34 PM..

Old 04-25-2011, 10:29 PM

4,486 posts, read 5,224,257 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ted08721 View Post
I have no respect for any group that goes around and tries to talk people out of their beliefs.
Many consider them to be a cult, based on my experiences with them I think they have a valid point about JWs being a cult.
I can't say that I agree with them being a cult but I do find them very annoying and pushy. They also have lousy timing and don't seem to understand the word NO. But, that's based on my experience with them.

JW's: Have you found our Lord and Savior?

Me: No, where did you lose him?

Old 04-25-2011, 10:32 PM

646 posts, read 634,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
You're selling your religion.
And what is the asking price?
You should look up the definition of SELL.
It is not good to use slang in serious discussions. You could create misunderstandings.

(\__/)
( ‘ .‘ )
>(^)<

Wilson

Old 04-26-2011, 12:31 AM

12,687 posts, read 6,734,867 times
Quote:
Mr Thunder,
This post should adequately answer YOUR questions.

Wilson
To be honest, it really didn't answer my questions at all. Jehovah's Witnesses have a very complete religion and world-view. They are generally diligent in obeying God's commands as they understand them. But Jehovah's Witnesses have something in common with several of their fellow Restorationist Movement religions as well as the Catholic and various Eastern Oriental Churches: They claim that theirs is THE true faith to the exclusion of all others. From the JW point of view (as I understand it), other religions have some good in them and do good things, but lack the full truth and full favor of God.

Eastern Orthodox, Catholics, Latter Day Saints and a few others claim direct succession through the original twelve apostles as basis for claiming to be THE true faith to the exclusion of all others. Yet the only thing I've learned in my admittedly limited research of the Jehovah's Witness faith boils down to, "We have the correct understanding/interpretation of the Bible and everyone else doesn't." You'll have to pardon me but that's not much of a basis for exclusivity. Is there something more to it than that?

All of Protestantism believes the same thing: "We have the correct understanding of the Bible and nobody else is reading right." The Protestants do tend to stop short of saying that they are exclusively THE true religion, but some do at times try to push the claim that, "If you're not one of us, you're going to burn in hell for eternity." How can the Jehovah's Witness faith be THE true religion if it's staking that claim based on the same thing that tens of thousands of Protestant faiths also claim? Clearly I must be missing something, right?

And please understand that I'm not asking this out of maliciousness. I always do my best to learn and understand the beliefs of others, and this is one aspect of the Jehovah's Witness faith that I do not feel I understand adequately: I don't think I'm getting the whole story of JW's claim to be the exclusive "Church and Kingdom of God on Earth" (though you would say Kingdom of Jehovah on earth, but you get my meaning.)

Old 04-26-2011, 04:09 AM

27,232 posts, read 46,658,013 times
Quote:
And what is the asking price?
You should look up the definition of SELL.
It is not good to use slang in serious discussions. You could create misunderstandings.

(\__/)
( ‘ .‘ )
>(^)<

Wilson
That's a good question, what is it exactly, that you expect us to buy? Is it worth our soul?

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality