Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2011, 01:30 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,576 posts, read 81,186,228 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun queen View Post
I wish they would not ring my doorbell... If they must just leave the little magazine in the mailbox.
Actually, if you take a little different attitude, you can have fun with it
and play with them. Listen to a little of their speech then try to convert them to your religion, if any. Be creative and come up with other ways to waster their time, as they do yours, without actually being mean. Eventually, though, if they persist you do get tired of it. I now have a no soliciting sign and if they do ring the bell I point to the sign and slam the door.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2011, 12:48 AM

4,919 posts, read 4,834,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
You can go back all the way to the Old Testament and see that God is more than one. In the first book of the Bible God states. Let (US) make man in (OUR) image and in (OUR) likness.

Who was God speaking to here?
He was speaking to The "Firstborn" of all creation!
THROUGH him and FOR him .. All things were made.
So .. He was speaking to his SON .. The FIRSTBORN .. of all creation!

This is just 'one' example of Why folks need to study and KNOW what they are talking about.

Old 05-10-2011, 02:36 AM

4,919 posts, read 4,834,761 times
Mr Wilson continues to hit them out of the ballpark!!

Just when you 'think' that he can't possibly fend off 8 or 9 folks .. "Ripping and tearing" at his faith .. He Slams .. another one!

I salute you Mr Wilson .. Not only for the wisdom of your words but also for your "unbelievable patience"!

Old 05-10-2011, 03:52 AM

646 posts, read 634,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Anyone who can believe in Jehovah as described in the OT does not believe in the God I believe in as revealed by the unambiguous example and teaching of Jesus Christ. There can be no more ANTI-Christ God than the DESCRIPTIONS in the OT.
If you do not understand what you read, it is not the fault of the writers nor the book.
Why did Jesus teach us to trust the OT? He said:
“Then Jesus said to him: “Go away, Satan! For it is written (Deut. 5:9 OT), ‘It is Jehovah your God you must worship, and it is to him alone you must render sacred service.’”” (Matthew 4:10)
He also said:
“Sanctify them by means of the truth; your word (OT) is truth.” (John 17:17)
Add this to your list:
“for truly I say to YOU that sooner would heaven and earth pass away than for one smallest letter or one particle of a letter to pass away from the Law by any means and not all things take place.” (Matthew 5:18)

How do you reconcile your position with the words of Jesus himself when he said:
“Therefore they began to say to him: “Who are you?” Jesus said to them: “Why am I even speaking to YOU at all? I have many things to speak concerning YOU and to pass judgment upon. As a matter of fact, he that sent me is true, and the very things I heard from him I am speaking in the world.” They did not grasp that he was talking to them about the Father. Therefore Jesus said: “When once YOU have lifted up the Son of man, then YOU will know that I am [he], and that I do nothing of my own initiative; but just as the Father taught me I speak these things. And he that sent me is with me; he did not abandon me to myself, because I always do the things pleasing to him.” As he was speaking these things, many put faith in him.” (John 8:25-30)?

If you do not understand what you read, it is not the fault of the writers nor the book.
Condemning something without understanding it is not very wise.

(\__/)
( ‘ .‘ )
>(^)<

Wilson

Old 05-10-2011, 04:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringwielder View Post
Ah, so they lied deliberately!

English Standard Version (©2001) Rev 21:8
But as for the cowardly, the faithless, the detestable, as for murderers, the sexually immoral, sorcerers, idolaters, and all liars, their portion will be in the lake that burns with fire and sulfur, which is the second death.”

Do you know what this means? (Apart from the Bible contradicting itself)
There is no contradiction in the Bible, regardless of how it may seem to you.
I know what the secular infidel network says about it; I read their list and debunked all of them, so you cannot surprise me, but they usually run when confronted with their errors.
I have sought them out and tangled with them often.

(\__/)
( ‘ .‘ )
>(^)<

Wilson

Old 05-10-2011, 04:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrClose View Post
Mr Wilson continues to hit them out of the ballpark!!

Just when you 'think' that he can't possibly fend off 8 or 9 folks .. "Ripping and tearing" at his faith .. He Slams .. another one!

I salute you Mr Wilson .. Not only for the wisdom of your words but also for your "unbelievable patience"!
Thank you for your kind words, Sir.
You are a first.

The Bible is no ordinary book! It is God's word of truth. We study it often and, like Paul, are taught and able to defend it adequately.

“Do your utmost to present yourself approved to God, a workman with nothing to be ashamed of, handling the word of the truth aright.” (2 Timothy 2:15)

“So according to Paul’s custom he went inside to them, and for three sabbaths he reasoned with them from the Scriptures, explaining and proving by references that it was necessary for the Christ to suffer and to rise from the dead, and [saying]: “This is the Christ, this Jesus whom I am publishing to YOU.” As a result some of them became believers and associated themselves with Paul and Silas, and a great multitude of the Greeks who worshiped [God] and not a few of the principal women did so.” (Acts 17:2-4)

(\__/)
( ‘ .‘ )
>(^)<

Wilson

Old 05-10-2011, 04:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun queen View Post
I wish they would not ring my doorbell... If they must just leave the little magazine in the mailbox.
Going from door to door is a command from Jesus Christ.
“Into whatever city or village YOU enter, search out who in it is deserving, and stay there until YOU leave. When YOU are entering into the house, greet the household; 13 and if the house is deserving, let the peace YOU wish it come upon it; but if it is not deserving, let the peace from YOU return upon YOU.” (Matthew 10:11-13)
We will continue to do as he commands.

Leaving our literature in mailboxes is illegal.
We are known for obeying the law.

(\__/)
( ‘ .‘ )
>(^)<

Wilson

Old 05-10-2011, 06:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisjoe View Post
Actually, if you take a little different attitude, you can have fun with it
and play with them. Listen to a little of their speech then try to convert them to your religion, if any.
Do you know anyone who can do that? Can you? I hope to run into you some day at your door.
Quote:
Be creative and come up with other ways to waster their time, as they do yours, without actually being mean. Eventually, though, if they persist you do get tired of it. I now have a no soliciting sign and if they do ring the bell I point to the sign and slam the door.
Most people cannot explain their religion adequately.
One man I know, tried that converting thing you suggest, going to the homes of some JWs. I heard about him and went looking for him. I found him and asked him to tell me about his religion.
He spoke for about 2 minutes about belief in the Lord Jesus and making him my "personal" savior." Nothing different.
I asked him if he was through, because I had a lot to tell him and he spoke another minute. That was it.
I spent the next 2 hours explaining the Scriptures to him from HIS bible.
He said we were not fair because whenever he gets ready to ask us some questions, we always leave.
I invited his questioning. He opened a booklet entitled "What To Say to Jehovah's Witnesses When They Call At Your Door" and started out by reading: "Jehovah's Witnesses believe...." I called a halt to his reading by telling him that he can ask me whatever question came from his own heart, and not what someone else formulated. He had no questions.
Are you sure you want to go through that?

The "No Soliciting" sign does not apply to us because we are not solicitors.
DEFINITION:
1. vti plead for something: to try to get something by making insistent requests or pleas
2. vt ask somebody for something: to plead with or petition a person or group for something
3. vti offer sex for money: to offer to participate in sexual activities in return for money
4. vt get somebody to do something wrong: to attempt to draw somebody into participating in illegal or immoral acts.

JWs will not call for a while if you ask to be put on their "Do Not Call" list.
We have no wish to push anything on anyone.

(\__/)
( ‘ .‘ )
>(^)<

Wilson

Old 05-10-2011, 11:42 AM

2,788 posts, read 5,092,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regs4rl View Post
my cousins are JWs and they asked me to start going to their congregation with them. i would feel bad if i said no so i went ahead and told them i would go. i'm moving in 3 months anyway so what the heck. i personally don't believe in anything that their religion teaches nor am i even religious. i just figured i would humor them the last few months i'm here. so my questions: what do you think of JWs? and has anyone else done something similar to what i am doing just to please family or friends?

I am a JW..at first I thought they were crazy..I really did..I told myself I could never be one of them.
My sister was studying with some nice lady, so one day I was over my sisters house listening to this lady talk about family relationships.
My sister just wanted someone to talk to about her party lifestyle
So I asked the lady is she would have a study with me and my husband.
My husband at the time thought they were crazy too. His mom was a JW.
She never pushed us into it
Well the study made so much sense. I prayed so hard to prove they were wrong..I couldn't do it.
The more it made sense it was like a veil being lifted off my head.
I knew it was the truth, my husband felt the same way too.
So of course my family and friends thought I was crazy.
I have a friend who also became a witness and she told me one day now I know what you are talking about it makes sense now.
Go if you want too..but dont be pressured.

Old 05-11-2011, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Bull...I had to get really rude with them before they stopped...I had to remind them of one of the secrets you say they don't have...The one about how they protect all the pedophiles in that organization.

The Jehovah's Witnesses organisation keeps a sex offenders register that nobody outside the church is allowed to see.

Bill Bowen, who has spent his lifetime as a Jehovah's Witness and nearly twenty years as an elder, says the organisation covers up abuse by keeping this database secret.

His sources indicate there are 23,720 abusers on the list - who are protected by the system....

Jehovah's Witnesses secret database protects pedophiles | Lotus Opening - [domain blocked due to spam]
As far as you are concerned, this is the whole truth - right?
Why don't you ask him to prove it?
Here's his email address:
bowen@silentlambs.org

Bill Bowen is not telling the whole truth and is one who is trying to make a name for himself and some money along the way. Check it for yourself:
silentlambs.org - Donations / Become a SL Member

If you think they are not in it for the money, check out their earnings:
Charity Execs Getting Big Salary Increases? - Fox Business Video - FoxBusiness.com
Children Charities: Salaries of the Executives
Executive Pay Outpaces Inflation - Employers - The Chronicle of Philanthropy- Connecting the nonprofit world with news, jobs, and ideas
http://www.rd.com/your-america-inspi...icle28683.html

I told him so directly and he could not prove anything he said.
I even wrote to his lawyer, the one reported as spearheading his court cases, letting her know our position on "2 witnesses."
She had no real opposition to our position.
I have correspondence from both of them to prove it.

(\__/)
( ‘ .‘ )
>(^)<

Wilson
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality