U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 05-12-2011, 05:40 AM
 
646 posts, read 529,495 times
Reputation: 46

Advertisements

[Originally posted by Katzpur
[quote]Originally Posted by wilsoncole
Mormons levy the tithing tax even more vigorously than most religions.
With this method in place, why would they have to make collections at their services?
"By this device hundreds of thousands of dollars annually pour into the treasuries of the Adventists and Mormons. Tithing is often the main subject, the theme that is worn threadbare by the Mormons at their annual conferences." (Ibid)
Feast your eyes on the evidence:
tithing and mormons - Google Search
They practice tithing!
LDS practice the law of tithing, and additionally practices fast offerings and has instituted other welfare programs."
Quote:
I'll make you a deal, wilson. You be the expert on your religion. I'll be the expert on mine.
I'm no expert. But.......
I supplied the source for my statements.
I did not write the information on those websites quoted above.
Are they false?
If something in them is incorrect, which you did not indicate, then this is your chance to set them straight.


(\__/)
( ‘ .‘ )
>(^)<


Wilson






Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-12-2011, 06:05 AM
 
646 posts, read 529,495 times
Reputation: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by kallenfranchise View Post
They are Christian cult originally started by Charles Taze Russell. He was deemed as a false prophet after making two predictions about the coming day of Jesus Christ in which he was wrong both times.

He had ties to Freemasonry (in which at the 32 and 33 degree levels it is revealed to them that they worship Lucifer). Go to his grave which is a pyramid shape tombstone with Masonic symbols.

They will never admit that though. But in actuality, they think that their Watchtower is the only group who can interpret the Bible which is why they rewrote their own Bible calling it in the New World Translation.
"Deemed?" By whom? People like you?
Do you really know what they think? Why don't you ask me? I'll tell you!

Are you in a position to prove anything you wrote here?
What do they teach that is according to the Freemasons' doctrines?

Consider this experience:
"A Ghanaian man named Godwin was almost 70 when he left the Presbyterian Church and a Masonic Lodge. “There were things going on in the church that I found objectionable,” says Godwin. “For example, there was a lot of infighting, and it is still going on. Sometimes the police had to come to restore peace and order! I did not think this was proper for followers of Christ. Then a problem developed between a fellow Presbyterian and me. A public court heard the case and judged the other man guilty. However, the minister of the church unfairly sided with this man and attempted to censure me before the whole congregation! I gave him a piece of my mind and walked out of the church—never to return.

“Some time passed, and Jehovah’s Witnesses called at my home. Initially, I listened simply because I did not want to turn away people who talked about God. But I began to notice that even though I had been a Presbyterian for decades, there was a lot I did not know about the Bible. For example, I never knew that the Bible holds out hope of living forever in Paradise on earth. And when I started attending the meetings of Jehovah’s Witnesses, the manners, and especially the dress and grooming of the youth among them, impressed me very much. These were people who really lived by Bible principles!
I was a member of a Masonic Lodge. And though it is known as a fraternal society that provides help for its members, I observed rituals that involved the use of skulls and bones and the invoking of spirits. These spirits supposedly help those who interact with them to develop spiritually.

“My studies helped me to see that Jehovah God detests any involvement with spiritism because it can bring one under the influence of Satan and his wicked spirit forces. Would I continue as a member of the Masonic Lodge with all its mysticism, or would I quit and please Jehovah?
I chose the latter. I destroyed all the Freemason paraphernalia I had, even the suit I used for Lodge meetings. I experienced the truth of Jesus’ promise when he said, ‘The truth will set you free’! (John 8:32)
Now I am happily sharing the things I have learned with others. I have no regrets whatsoever.”
(WT 97 12/15 p. 10)

Frankly, I don't think you will follow up.
(\__/)
( ‘ .‘ )
>(^)<


Wilson

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2011, 08:31 AM
 
646 posts, read 529,495 times
Reputation: 46
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I'm not a Jehovah's Witness, nor am I interested in becoming one. That said, I absolutely detest posts that attempt to "expose" any denomination as "the enemy." Ninety-nine times out of a hundred, they are doing nothing more than slinging mud. If I wanted to learn about Catholicism, why would I ask a Buddhist to explain the religion to me? If I were interested in learning more about Judaism, why on earth would I go to a Muslim with my questions? People who find it necessary to undercut other people's positions to make theirs look good, generally don't have much of a position themselves.
I have to wonder what his position is and what he has to offer.
Can you imagine some stranger telling you that some other stranger is YOUR enemy? What could his motives be? Stirring up strife; divisions, contentions?
“There are six things that Jehovah does hate; yes, seven are things detestable to his soul: lofty eyes (haughtiness), a false tongue, and hands that are shedding innocent blood, a heart fabricating hurtful schemes, feet that are in a hurry to run to badness, a false witness that launches forth lies, and anyone sending forth contentions among brothers.” (Proverbs 6:16-19)
What if some people starts killing JWs because of what he posted here, thinking they are enemies?

Hitler told the German people that Americans and Britons were their enemies.
Look how many people died because of it!

Some folks EARN Jehovah's hatred.


(\__/)
( ‘ .‘ )
>(^)<


Wilson
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2011, 08:34 AM
 
Location: colorado
2,788 posts, read 4,240,938 times
Reputation: 3312
Quote:
Originally Posted by lee9786 View Post
Jehovah Witness has a highly occultic origin and leaders. I believe many are sadly uninformed and led by wolves in sheep's clothing.


YouTube - Know Your Enemy (Part 73 - Jehovah's Witnesses)

Take this information as that and look more into it.

LMAO..
My friend always tell me not too drink the kool-aid
Im a JW..thank you Jehovah
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2011, 09:12 AM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC
7,658 posts, read 7,465,366 times
Reputation: 3244
Quote:
Originally Posted by kallenfranchise View Post
...He had ties to Freemasonry (in which at the 32 and 33 degree levels it is revealed to them that they worship Lucifer). Go to his grave which is a pyramid shape tombstone with Masonic symbols....

You have proof, or at least evidence, to back this claim up. Correct? Do you know what the "G" in the center of the Masonic symbol stands for?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2011, 09:47 AM
 
Location: Salt Lake City
21,280 posts, read 20,889,434 times
Reputation: 9963
[quote=wilsoncole;19117479][Originally posted by Katzpur
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsoncole
Mormons levy the tithing tax even more vigorously than most religions.
With this method in place, why would they have to make collections at their services?
"By this device hundreds of thousands of dollars annually pour into the treasuries of the Adventists and Mormons. Tithing is often the main subject, the theme that is worn threadbare by the Mormons at their annual conferences." (Ibid)
Feast your eyes on the evidence:
tithing and mormons - Google Search
They practice tithing!
LDS practice the law of tithing, and additionally practices fast offerings and has instituted other welfare programs."I'm no expert. But.......
I supplied the source for my statements.
I did not write the information on those websites quoted above.
Are they false?
If something in them is incorrect, which you did not indicate, then this is your chance to set them straight.


(\__/)
( ‘ .‘ )
>(^)<

Wilson





It's the negative wording and exaggerations that I took exception to. There is no "tithing tax." That's a stupid thing to call paying tithes. Yes, we believe the law of tithing to still be in effect. We don't believe it to have been rescinded at any time. That said, no one is forced to pay tithing, or even pressured. There was a period of several years when I was a practicing Latter-day Saint and did not pay a dime tithing. No one called me on the carpet, shunned me, or anything else.

As far as tithing often being the main subject at LDS Conferences ("being worn threadbare" ), that is a flat out lie. It may be mentioned. There may even be a sermon on the topic, but it would likely be one sermon out of more than two dozen over a three day period. I would hardly call that excessive.

* I do like your cat, though. *
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2011, 10:09 AM
 
20 posts, read 95,816 times
Reputation: 24
I am always confused with them and the LDS people who knock on doors in our neighborhood.

Actually, one of the kid spoke prefect Mandarin Chinese to my wife and she was amazed! hehe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2011, 10:55 AM
 
912 posts, read 697,513 times
Reputation: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsoncole View Post
I have to wonder what his position is and what he has to offer.
Can you imagine some stranger telling you that some other stranger is YOUR enemy? What could his motives be? Stirring up strife; divisions, contentions?
“There are six things that Jehovah does hate; yes, seven are things detestable to his soul: lofty eyes (haughtiness), a false tongue, and hands that are shedding innocent blood, a heart fabricating hurtful schemes, feet that are in a hurry to run to badness, a false witness that launches forth lies, and anyone sending forth contentions among brothers.” (Proverbs 6:16-19)
What if some people starts killing JWs because of what he posted here, thinking they are enemies?

Hitler told the German people that Americans and Britons were their enemies.
Look how many people died because of it!

Some folks EARN Jehovah's hatred.


(\__/)
( ‘ .‘ )
>(^)<

Wilson
Noticed the post above this entry mentioning confused. I'm curious because I fear there may be some confusion which I cannot address not having full knowledge of the JW belief system. Didn't think it would hurt to ask about a couple of things. Also have good regard for any peaceful initiative which rejects recourse in violent measure.

This may appear a little on the slow side but due to so many knocks at the door and short chats with folks promoting different faiths , its hard to amass who is exactly who.

1) Is JW the religion which believes that there is a human hierarchy with respects to afterlife, and if so, is it suggested that the defined order of importance begins on earth? Reason being, it was explained to myself that the entry constitutes a ground level placement. The idea is held to be expectation plus performance in attracting new members elevates ones placement in the religious order, as well in after life. This seems curious to myself and wanted to get the real understanding

2) Is this the faith that believes earth will in fact be transformed at the end of time into the commonly referred to heaven..? If so, I'm curious as to whether or not there would be vegetation, insect, and animal life. Will man eat? Will he devour animal flesh.

I'd really like to get into exactly what the whole idea is because I think the creative material is interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2011, 10:57 AM
 
Location: El Paso, TX
3,302 posts, read 3,757,647 times
Reputation: 2524
As I said before I associated with Jehovah's Witness a long time ago. I stopped being one about 1972.

I have written some message before but I repeat some of my views on them again.

First of all, some of the examples of my (uncle, wife, sister, mom, dad, friend) where people like to say how they are shunned I do believe. However, it is also an exaggeration to think they are like that as a group.

When I aw a practicing JW I did see how in some cases family member were shunned. However, there are people that are extreme on their views and JWs are no different, there are those in any group.
I do remember a speech by one of the elders that said that treating disfellowshiped member does not mean they stop being family members and doing so is against Christian principles.
They cited example where a disfellowshipped member was still attending services. Granted, that member was not being talked to as if nothing happened. However, they said that this woman had a flat tire after services and it would be the Christian thing to help her with changing the tire.
They also mentioned how a spouse of a disfellowshipped member is still bound to treat that spouse with love and respect. They even said that with love and respect that member may realize his ways and return to the congregation.
They explain that being disfellowshipped does not mean you cannot talk to that person. You may not associate with that person as if to be friends as if nothing happened after that person shamed God. They also disfellowshipped that person for all non JWs to see that that person is no longer part of the organization and not say "Look at that JW what he is doing". JWs can righfully say he is not part of the organization anymore. It is not different than when I was in the Army and had to kick Soldiers out of the Army for bringing discredit to the organization and our uniform.
Even though I am not a JW anymore or even a believer of the Bible as I did I will use the words of Jesus to see what I think about them in general. Jesus said that by their fruits they will be recognized.

To me their fruits reflect more love and peace than many of the other organizations that claim being Christians also. They do not beleive in killing in war. They are happy to claim they do not go to another part of the world to kill a JW brother. They were willing to go to concentration camps for their beliefs. The are actually are cited in the Holocaust Museum in Washington DC as the willing concentration camp sufferers. The local Holocaust museum in my hometown do sell books on the suffering of JWs in concentration camps for being a peaceful group, something pretty much most Christian churches cannot claim to the degree they can.

So in the end whether they believe in all these so called distorted views of the Bible their fruits resemble more of what Christ did. Christ did not pick up a weapon to defend his views and so do JWs. He was willing to die for his belief for not picking up a weapon themselves.

Also, I believe someone said they do not believe in killing even to defend themselves, that is not correct. I know they believe in protecting their lives.

So from my standpoint their fruits are more in line with how Jesus behaved i.e. they go out there preaching what they believe, they do not pick up a weapon to go to war, etc. Are those two thing Jesus did also? Take care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-12-2011, 06:40 PM
 
Location: Chesterfield,Virginia
4,923 posts, read 3,937,469 times
Reputation: 2637
Quote:
Originally Posted by elamigo View Post
As I said before I associated with Jehovah's Witness a long time ago. I stopped being one about 1972.

I have written some message before but I repeat some of my views on them again.

First of all, some of the examples of my (uncle, wife, sister, mom, dad, friend) where people like to say how they are shunned I do believe. However, it is also an exaggeration to think they are like that as a group.

When I aw a practicing JW I did see how in some cases family member were shunned. However, there are people that are extreme on their views and JWs are no different, there are those in any group.
I do remember a speech by one of the elders that said that treating disfellowshiped member does not mean they stop being family members and doing so is against Christian principles.
They cited example where a disfellowshipped member was still attending services. Granted, that member was not being talked to as if nothing happened. However, they said that this woman had a flat tire after services and it would be the Christian thing to help her with changing the tire.
They also mentioned how a spouse of a disfellowshipped member is still bound to treat that spouse with love and respect. They even said that with love and respect that member may realize his ways and return to the congregation.
They explain that being disfellowshipped does not mean you cannot talk to that person. You may not associate with that person as if to be friends as if nothing happened after that person shamed God. They also disfellowshipped that person for all non JWs to see that that person is no longer part of the organization and not say "Look at that JW what he is doing". JWs can righfully say he is not part of the organization anymore. It is not different than when I was in the Army and had to kick Soldiers out of the Army for bringing discredit to the organization and our uniform.
Even though I am not a JW anymore or even a believer of the Bible as I did I will use the words of Jesus to see what I think about them in general. Jesus said that by their fruits they will be recognized.

To me their fruits reflect more love and peace than many of the other organizations that claim being Christians also. They do not beleive in killing in war. They are happy to claim they do not go to another part of the world to kill a JW brother. They were willing to go to concentration camps for their beliefs. The are actually are cited in the Holocaust Museum in Washington DC as the willing concentration camp sufferers. The local Holocaust museum in my hometown do sell books on the suffering of JWs in concentration camps for being a peaceful group, something pretty much most Christian churches cannot claim to the degree they can.

So in the end whether they believe in all these so called distorted views of the Bible their fruits resemble more of what Christ did. Christ did not pick up a weapon to defend his views and so do JWs. He was willing to die for his belief for not picking up a weapon themselves.

Also, I believe someone said they do not believe in killing even to defend themselves, that is not correct. I know they believe in protecting their lives.

So from my standpoint their fruits are more in line with how Jesus behaved i.e. they go out there preaching what they believe, they do not pick up a weapon to go to war, etc. Are those two thing Jesus did also? Take care.
A nice post.
I would guess that even though you say you are no longer associated with the JW's or believe in the bible as you once did .. you 'surely' have had the love of Jehovah impressed upon your heart and have truly left an impression on me.

I also 'think' that you are not as far away from Jehovah as you believe that you are. 8)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top