U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-29-2015, 10:04 PM
 
Location: Minnesota
2,526 posts, read 1,163,404 times
Reputation: 2758

Advertisements

Some years ago, one of my congregants (an elderly gentleman) died and it came time to arrange his funeral service …

ALL of his relatives years before had made the jump to the Jehovah's Witnesses …

His eldest daughter was a very sweet and gentle loving person who stood against pressure from the other family members, insisting that her dad's funeral had to be officiated by HIS pastor in HIS Church … and so it was …

I dunno … MY direct real life real world real Church experience of real life Jehovah's Witnesses is … *okay* …

When people of faith cut each other up, trash each other, reject each other, accuse each other, judge each other … The Accuser scores points … Why help The Satan when we can help each other (and God) instead … ???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-29-2015, 10:33 PM
 
Location: minnesota
5,256 posts, read 1,679,690 times
Reputation: 1836
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teilhard View Post
Some years ago, one of my congregants (an elderly gentleman) died and it came time to arrange his funeral service

ALL of his relatives years before had made the jump to the Jehovah's Witnesses

His eldest daughter was a very sweet and gentle loving person who stood against pressure from the other family members, insisting that her dad's funeral had to be officiated by HIS pastor in HIS Church and so it was

I dunno MY direct real life real world real Church experience of real life Jehovah's Witnesses is *okay*

When people of faith cut each other up, trash each other, reject each other, accuse each other, judge each other The Accuser scores points Why help The Satan when we can help each other (and God) instead ???
You are a pastor for a different church? Did he have a church service and did the JW relatives attend? That would be unusual for JWs to attend another church, even for a wedding or a funeral service. Once you have been on the inside as in a child growing up in that religion there is no acceptable reason for leaving. My dad didn't convert so he is viewed differently. You would be better off calling yourself an atheist than a Christian because all other Christian churches are controlled by Satan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2015, 03:59 PM
 
Location: Minnesota
2,526 posts, read 1,163,404 times
Reputation: 2758
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post

You would be better off calling yourself an atheist than a Christian because all other Christian churches are controlled by Satan.
The Lord Jesus of Nazareth reportedly commented on this

"Blessed are you when people revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you -- falsely -- on my account "
-- Matthew 5: 11
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2015, 05:15 PM
Status: "Amused by BF/V." (set 1 day ago)
 
Location: Ontario, Canada
23,353 posts, read 12,085,923 times
Reputation: 10657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teilhard View Post
The Lord Jesus of Nazareth reportedly commented on this

"Blessed are you when people revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you -- falsely -- on my account "
-- Matthew 5: 11
That's the JW mantra.

In their minds, because people think they're wrong, it MUST mean they're right!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2015, 07:38 PM
 
Location: minnesota
5,256 posts, read 1,679,690 times
Reputation: 1836
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teilhard View Post
The Lord Jesus of Nazareth reportedly commented on this

"Blessed are you when people revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you -- falsely -- on my account "
-- Matthew 5: 11
If you are speaking to the demoralizing way they treat people who leave then this has nothing to do with Jesus. Few remain Christians after an experience like that. Many of us find the elitism nauseating. This is just a case of people being unable to grasp that there is life outside their belief system. It cannot occur to them they may have it wrong because they are isolated by design. Someone leaving MUST have something wrong with their character because the belief system is so obviously perfect to them. Plain old vanilla circular thinking. Nothing magical about it, just human nature.


So, did the JWs show up to the service? I am from Minnesota too. Whereabouts are you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2015, 07:44 PM
 
Location: Minnesota
2,526 posts, read 1,163,404 times
Reputation: 2758
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post


So, did the JWs show up to the service?
Yes ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2015, 07:52 PM
 
7,118 posts, read 2,898,151 times
Reputation: 9791
Big mistake to go to their meetings. They will suck you in. Moving doesn't guarantee they will not seek you out. You will be pestered for months now. I made the mistake of just conversing with one when I just happened to be outside. The next day 6 came in a van. I didn't answer the door. I ignore them when they ring the bell now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2015, 08:30 PM
Status: "Amused by BF/V." (set 1 day ago)
 
Location: Ontario, Canada
23,353 posts, read 12,085,923 times
Reputation: 10657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
Big mistake to go to their meetings. They will suck you in. Moving doesn't guarantee they will not seek you out. You will be pestered for months now. I made the mistake of just conversing with one when I just happened to be outside. The next day 6 came in a van. I didn't answer the door. I ignore them when they ring the bell now.
Robots.

Doing as their masters bid.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-30-2015, 08:32 PM
 
Location: minnesota
5,256 posts, read 1,679,690 times
Reputation: 1836
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teilhard View Post
Yes ...
Holy crap! Good for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-30-2016, 11:08 PM
 
Location: Missouri
661 posts, read 1,030,427 times
Reputation: 303
It's supposed to be 'tough love', to help the erring one see the error of his ways and come back. They have Scriptures they can point to to show this is acceptable and in fact, Gods command.
Eg, 1 Corinthians 5:11.

But that's the thing with those damned Scriptures...just waiting for some religion with its own agenda to come and twist them!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top