U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2016, 12:40 PM

4,064 posts, read 1,455,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by windowtreatments View Post
Kjw47...if i may ask are you a JW?

Is there anything other than JW,s worth being?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2016, 12:41 PM

4,064 posts, read 1,455,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
I challenge anyone to visit a Bible Retail store and check out their stock of books.

So many translations and interpretations of the Bible......"Who is Correct?" Each person that wrote an opinion is correct in their own mind while throwing it out to the public.

Throw in the "Concordance" of the Bible books are in a large bunch of their own.....boggles the mind.

How do I know this? I was in the Inventory trade as a owner and we Inventoried a Bible Chain more then once. I saw all of those books grouped together (glanced thru a few)......so many Authors and because it was written many will read and QUOTE passages as being GOSPEL ......give me a break.

How many times has the Bible been re written and translated over the centuries.....I would guess at least once every 500 years.

Has anyone ever seen a 1st edition Bible of Martin Luther in Old German?.... I have.

The New world translation fixed the trinity translating errors. Otherwise this couldn't be possible-Daniel 12:4--or this--John 4:22-24

Old 02-14-2016, 01:14 PM

14,070 posts, read 8,569,500 times
Quote:
I challenge anyone to visit a Bible Retail store and check out their stock of books.

So many translations and interpretations of the Bible......"Who is Correct?" Each person that wrote an opinion is correct in their own mind while throwing it out to the public.

Throw in the "Concordance" of the Bible books are in a large bunch of their own.....boggles the mind.

How do I know this? I was in the Inventory trade as a owner and we Inventoried a Bible Chain more then once. I saw all of those books grouped together (glanced thru a few)......so many Authors and because it was written many will read and QUOTE passages as being GOSPEL ......give me a break.

How many times has the Bible been re written and translated over the centuries.....I would guess at least once every 500 years.

Has anyone ever seen a 1st edition Bible of Martin Luther in Old German?.... I have.
The writings of Schopenhauer, Kant, Kafka, Nietzsche, and others have been translated more than once too. Even the first translation of each work from German to English was not a "rewrite". Competing translations are not rewrites either. They are just translations, assuming the translator(s) knew what they were doing. When translating metaphors and the like, there will be differing emphases in the translation depending on the translator's understanding and mastery of what the author was trying to convey, their mastery of idiomatic German of the author's era, and their skill at finding equivalent idioms in English.

What all this means for the Bible is not that it has been "rewritten every x years" but that even the best English editions lose something in the translation and indeed even if you learn ancient Hebrew and Greek and peruse the best original manuscripts for yourself, something will be lost in the reading.

Even if the Bible were written a few years ago in English, something would be lost in the reading because everyone comes to the text with their own assumptions, perceptions, agendas and preconceptions anyway.

For this reason I have never understood the veneration of written revelation as a particularly effective method of conveying critically important revelation. An omnipotent deity has much better means at its disposal if it really cares about communicating clearly. Right up to and including the ability to pre-load every person's brain with the desired data AND the desired comprehension and understanding of that data.

As to your point about concordances, commentaries, and the like ... there you have quite a point because one must add to the cacophony of differing understandings and applications of the urtext itself, different dogmas, theological and interpretive frameworks, and denominational slants added in and in the end virtually no one agrees in detail on much of anything in Christianity except maybe that Jesus was a real person and an exemplar for humanity, who was cruelly put to death by the Romans, and became the central focus of Christianity thereafter. Indeed, except when making arguments from popularity most fundamentalist Christians don't honor the faith of most of Christianity, and view themselves as a tiny remnant within the larger religious milieu -- keepers of the flame, as it were.

Old 02-14-2016, 03:44 PM

6,571 posts, read 17,966,347 times
At the time had two guys working part time for me at the Bible store Inventories.

One had been a Theological student and dropped out before his last year of school before a need to wear the collar.

His dad and Grandfather were Lutheran ministers so you can imagine the disappointment in the family.

Other person was a Religious person that would constantly quote passages from the Bible as being Gospel.

When I mentioned the 500 year thing we would go round and round during the drive to and from any one of the stores......a little entertaining.....then again those books speak VOLUMES along with questions and doubts.

Old 02-15-2016, 10:28 AM

26,268 posts, read 13,935,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjw47 View Post
Mr Russell was not a prophet.
I'll be darned as a sock...You're correct...Just asked my wife and she said there are no more prophets...May haps be that I am thinking of Joseph Smith...

Old 02-21-2016, 02:49 PM

128 posts, read 69,378 times
Quote:
Is there anything other than JW,s worth being?
Yes..a true christian.

Old 02-21-2016, 05:01 PM

4,583 posts, read 2,270,137 times
Quote:
Yes..a true christian.
Please post, according to Scripture, how to identify a true Christian

Old 02-21-2016, 05:07 PM

4,583 posts, read 2,270,137 times
Quote:
It is the ancient manuscripts that support Bible canon.
So, any translation can be compared with the manuscripts.
The apocryphal books simply exclude themselves being out of harmony with the ' 66 ' books of Bible canon.
Unlike other religious books the Bible is unique in having its many corresponding or parallel cross-reference verses and passages which show the internal harmony among its many writers over the many centuries.

Since the Bible is Not written ABC order as a dictionary, then we need to study or research Scripture by subject or topic arrangement in order to get a completed picture of the Bible and its happy ending for mankind - Revelation 22:2

Old 02-21-2016, 11:53 PM

851 posts, read 571,906 times
Quote:
Yes..a true christian.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew 4:4 View Post
Please post, according to Scripture, how to identify a true Christian
This should be interesting

Old 02-22-2016, 12:05 AM

851 posts, read 571,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
I'll be darned as a sock...You're correct...Just asked my wife and she said there are no more prophets...May haps be that I am thinking of Joseph Smith...
You could have also consulted God's Word...would not surprise me if that is where your wife found the answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality