Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2016, 01:32 AM

1,714 posts, read 1,138,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965
Yea, sheep are so much easier to manipulate when they have no education...
Hmmm what a timely article by the secular press...see below including excerpts:

Jehovah

"Few people are acquainted with the educational work undertaken by Jehovah's Witnesses possibly because of the prejudices people circulate about the religious organisation."

"They are active in the area of Bible educational work, but it is also insightful to note that they have sponsored a comprehensive education programme aimed at educating the whole person."

"The Witnesses believe that education should help a person to acquire work skills and habits such as honesty and industriousness, and help one to benefit emotionally, and to find meaning and purpose in life."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2016, 08:54 AM

19,760 posts, read 13,296,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hd4me View Post

Jehovah

"Few people are acquainted with the educational work undertaken by Jehovah's Witnesses possibly because of the prejudices people circulate about the religious organisation."

"They are active in the area of Bible educational work, but it is also insightful to note that they have sponsored a comprehensive education programme aimed at educating the whole person."

"The Witnesses believe that education should help a person to acquire work skills and habits such as honesty and industriousness, and help one to benefit emotionally, and to find meaning and purpose in life."
That reads like a JW commercial and it certainly is not written by a journalist.

The head of the JWs (name escapes me at the moment) has repeatedly stated in so many words that secular higher education is a snare and a waste of time that draws young people away from the faith. He has said that parents who send their children to college have only themselves to blame for the inevitable result: the children, drift away from the JW faith.

Naturally to counter the inevitable criticism that he is in favor of at least selective ignorance over knowledge, he says that the JWs believe in education ... just that it is education in their particular dogma based on their particular Bible translation and theological framework.

So it is one thing to provide very basic literacy and manual job skills to a poor society, thus buying credibility and the ability to subtly slant the donated materials their way. It is another thing to teach the full range of proven science and human knowledge even when it disagrees with your pet dogmas.

Old 02-22-2016, 09:35 AM

31,374 posts, read 20,023,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hd4me View Post

Jehovah

For "education" substitute "further indoctrination" and you'll be closer to the truth.

Old 02-22-2016, 12:23 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,552,638 times
I feel pretty much the same about JW's that I do about all other religions. I'm an atheist and it never stops amazing me that certain religions think theirs is real or the truth over others. It's like someone believing in Santa arguing with someone who believes in the Easter Bunny. Santa's real but that Bunny is a cult. lol Makes no sense to me. I don't believe in any of those mythic beings or Gods.

Believing is personal, just like your sexual preference. Up to you, and nobody else's business.

Old 02-22-2016, 03:06 PM

6,366 posts, read 2,885,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
I feel pretty much the same about JW's that I do about all other religions. I'm an atheist and it never stops amazing me that certain religions think theirs is real or the truth over others. It's like someone believing in Santa arguing with someone who believes in the Easter Bunny. Santa's real but that Bunny is a cult. lol Makes no sense to me. I don't believe in any of those mythic beings or Gods.

Believing is personal, just like your sexual preference. Up to you, and nobody else's business.

It is a true followers business to try and help save their fellow man whom they love.
Its like walking outside in your neighborhood at 3 am and seeing your neighbors house on fire--one knocks and warns them--the same principle applies, but eternal life is on the line.

Old 02-22-2016, 06:48 PM

15,797 posts, read 6,220,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjw47 View Post
It is a true followers business to try and help save their fellow man whom they love.
Its like walking outside in your neighborhood at 3 am and seeing your neighbors house on fire--one knocks and warns them--the same principle applies, but eternal life is on the line.
Except for their house isn't really on fire and you knock on their door at 3 am every stinking night. Then you convince the mother that the house is actually on fire and she raises her children to be afraid of the house because it is on fire. Then the mom refuses to talk to her children unless they come out of the house , which if it ever was on fire would have burned down by now. That fact doesn't matter because all that matters is having enough people standing in the yard yelling about burning houses so the people that have spent their whole lives yelling about burning houses don't have to feel like complete idiots because they have other people seeing burning houses where there is none. The fact remains that some people are just not sane enough to come in out of the rain. That is the definition of insanity, right. Keep saying the house is on fire night after night and it never burns down.

hd4me, what are you doing quoting Satan's media? I could show you a crap ton of articles detailing the child sexual abuse the WT has been covering up for decades. People are starting to come forward.

Old 02-22-2016, 06:53 PM

15,797 posts, read 6,220,429 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvbMbjC8nro

Last edited by L8Gr8Apost8; 02-22-2016 at 06:53 PM.. Reason: This is for you two (k7&hd4me)

Old 02-22-2016, 10:10 PM

31,374 posts, read 20,023,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
I'm glad you found the light.

It's too bad others refuse to open their eyes.

Old 02-22-2016, 10:20 PM

1,450 posts, read 1,200,487 times
If you want the JWs to leave you be, just go one time wearing a tea shirt, on the front saying, "Jesus Christ is a kind and loving God" and on the back, "God, the father was an bigoted old crab." Then they will leave you alone.

Old 02-22-2016, 11:04 PM

63,461 posts, read 39,719,608 times
Default what do you think of Jehovah Witnesses?

I think that, like the Jews, they picked the wrong God.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality