Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-11-2016, 02:25 PM

6,366 posts, read 2,918,190 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
You believe in God yet you're not afraid of making assumptions that you are as smart as it is and you know the real truth, v. other people who just don't? And that you have tripped God up and know the unknowable although we're not supposed to know the day nor hour? You cracked God's code, that dummy, ha ha?

If I actually believed in the (vengeful, jealous, all-powerful) God I'd be TERRIFIED to do that.

Brave guy. You're on the losing side of showing God up, though, if your God is real. So...nice knowing ya. Do I smell smoke?

Oh khj, we hardly knew ye.

Nice imagination. I don't know the day or hour, I do know rev 13 is over 50 years old so we are way past that point in Revelation--it only goes to 21.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2016, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
It means someone saw a lion dragon screaming?

Is there a vid of that?

Parts of Revelation have been "definitively!" been happening for (counting) about 1983 years now.

Weirdly...the world is still here.

Interesting reading: investigate all the "it's the end" large-scale or at least decent chunk-size scale hysterias in various parts of the globe. They have historically happened at "numbers" times (2000, of course, as well as 1000, to give two examples...the year 999 was a hysterical, frightened time where there was certainty, supported by the Bible, that it WAS the end-times, period), as well as dozens if not hundreds of other examples related to mystical or "historical" or just logical numbers; interpretations of world happenings; or both.

In contemporary times, besides the Mayan 2012 and the idea that things were going to blow up in 2000 (though that latter was due to the bogus belief that bank computers could not handle the second two digits repeating), I remember in I believe the early 1980s, and then the later 1980s (?) where there was a semi-hysteria among pockets of the religious. With the former, I was in school. We, including the non-religious, were waiting for the sky to darken and everything to go down. We were THAT SURE, because it was all "supported." I wish I remember the details of that "support." The day ended and we were still there. With the latter, I was at my job. That time I didn't believe in the slightest that it was the last day before the apocalypse, but I clearly recall hearing singing and I looked out the window and there was a religious nutter singing and lifting her hands up and down as she walked the sidewalk. This "end times" thing had been all over the news. Again, I wish I remember the actual Biblical "support" but it all seemed like a lot of babble easily related to almost any time period, any leader, any geological condition, etc., which is what it was, and what it is now.

EVERY generation of those eagerly hopeful that it's the end (that is so weird...there must be a psychological name for this) has believed it was THE worst generation of depravity or impending depravity and has related tons of vague Revelations acid trip metaphors to "today and now."

Yet the "today and now" never happens. It's been almost 2000 years. Still no end times.

Sorry to disappoint.

If you had any kind of understanding of Revs truth. You would know--the two horned beast( final world power) had to be in place-- it excercises all authority in the world of the 7 headed beast with 10 horns. Its been going on for over 50 years. The 7 headed beast is an 8th king in itself--but not like the other world powers--it needs the 2 horned beast to carry on its will. Where as the other 7 world powers of all time, did it themselves.

Old 10-11-2016, 02:37 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times
what do you think of Jehovah Witnesses?

Very little.

And less with every post from one of their drones.

Old 10-13-2016, 01:21 PM

234 posts, read 162,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjw47 View Post
I never count this time. Are you an apostate? Strange how ones desperate and treacherous heart( Jeremiah 17:9) can mislead them into not seeing all the truth the JW,s teach. They repented of past errors.
no i was never baptized (thank goodness)! and my heart is neither desperate nor treacherous....nice how you make that assumption about anyone who dares question the "truth". i could go on about a lot of the JW's misleading "truths" and hypocrisy but I have better things to do

Old 10-13-2016, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrpuff View Post
no i was never baptized (thank goodness)! and my heart is neither desperate nor treacherous....nice how you make that assumption about anyone who dares question the "truth". i could go on about a lot of the JW's misleading "truths" and hypocrisy but I have better things to do

The bible says everyones heart is treacherous and desperate. And there is no doubt about that. King Davids heart proved to be treacherous and desperate concerning Bathsheba and her husband--Solomon fell to false god worship out of the same heart condition. Peter denied Jesus 3 times, the other 10 apostles totally abandoned him.How is it you are better than Gods elite?

No wonder the bible warns-- Beware if you think you are standing strong.

Old 10-13-2016, 09:10 PM

3,802 posts, read 2,997,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
A cult is any group (usually religious) that expects members to isolate from family and friends, devote unreasonable hours to the cause, claim to be the ONLY true believers, shame others into staying and ostracizes those who leave and call them demon seeds and satan's spawn.
Fundamentalists and Evangelicals actually do this too.
They will often call out another denomination as having Satan as their God, and have no reservation in condemning others to Hell.
The shunning may not policy or as overt as jw's, but the result is the same.
This gives rise to things like Religious Trauma Syndrome:

Religious Trauma Syndrome: How some organized religion leads to mental health problems

What is Religious Trauma Syndrome? - World Religion News

Religious Trauma Syndrome

This can happen in fundies, jw's, sda's and yes even catholics.
For many their whole life has revolved around their religion, and leaving it is akin to a marriage breakup or death in the family.

Old 10-14-2016, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjw47 View Post
The bible says everyones heart is treacherous and desperate. And there is no doubt about that. King Davids heart proved to be treacherous and desperate concerning Bathsheba and her husband--Solomon fell to false god worship out of the same heart condition. Peter denied Jesus 3 times, the other 10 apostles totally abandoned him.How is it you are better than Gods elite?

No wonder the bible warns-- Beware if you think you are standing strong.
Because the bible is wrong on that. not to mention how antiquated a lot of its teachings are. God's elite? are you kidding me? ive never met any of those people and im not taking the word of men written thousands of years ago as being the ultimate truth from god

Old 10-14-2016, 01:24 PM

See that is a tactic used in religions. to put you down and belittle you....saying you are sinful and treacherous and if you dont believe in our god and what we say, then you are damned to a miserable life. im not buying it, and im definitely not drinkin your koolaid

Old 10-14-2016, 02:37 PM

2,826 posts, read 2,368,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ted08721 View Post
I have no respect for any group that goes around and tries to talk people out of their beliefs.
Many consider them to be a cult, based on my experiences with them I think they have a valid point about JWs being a cult.
This is exactly why I don't abide atheists.

See my post here.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/45820680-post37.html

You are within rights to believe in anything you want. It is when you start to "know" what is true, and telling other people they are idiots for believing in something, then you get the hammer.

Another Christianity would likely be happy for you as a fellow Christian that you are Catholic or Lutheran or whatever. The further you get toward some of these fringey door-knocking stuff, the less they are okay that you are a Christian, the more they want you to be their version of Christianity. If Mormons do this, take their Book of Mormon, and when they show up again "We already have this book given by the other people."

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28
A cult is any group (usually religious) that expects members to isolate from family and friends, devote unreasonable hours to the cause, claim to be the ONLY true believers, shame others into staying and ostracizes those who leave and call them demon seeds and satan's spawn.
Exactly. Actually, a true cult may even try to prevent you from leaving (either by bringing you back, or killing you).

Experience: 3 days in a sect or cult known as Twelve Tribes.

Old 10-15-2016, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrpuff View Post
Because the bible is wrong on that. not to mention how antiquated a lot of its teachings are. God's elite? are you kidding me? ive never met any of those people and im not taking the word of men written thousands of years ago as being the ultimate truth from god

God assures--he inspired the words written in the bible( except the errors found in trinity translations)-- those who refuse to believe are standing in opposition.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality