U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-15-2016, 02:09 PM
 
Location: Northeastern US
14,070 posts, read 8,567,194 times
Reputation: 6003

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjw47 View Post
... those who refuse to believe are standing in opposition.
REFUSE to believe?

Do you REFUSE to believe that lizard aliens are hiding among us ... or are you simply incapable of believing it apart from evidence to substantiate it?

Do you REFUSE to believe that you will die tomorrow morning at 9 am or do you simply see no valid reason to afford belief to that notion?

Nice attempt to shift the burden of proof onto people outside your belief system.

Try again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-16-2016, 04:08 AM
 
Location: Missouri
661 posts, read 1,030,257 times
Reputation: 303
You know jrpuff, you should really believe the Bible is inspired, because it says it is. That is compelling evidence don't you know.

I believe every book that claims it's own words are truth.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2016, 12:53 PM
 
Location: at the foothills of the cascades, washington
204 posts, read 94,810 times
Reputation: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjw47 View Post
God assures--he inspired the words written in the bible( except the errors found in trinity translations)-- those who refuse to believe are standing in opposition.
really? God assured you that the words written in the Bible are his own? are you 100 percent sure of that? no, you can't be. you can only take man's word that it was inspired by god. sorry. furthermore, the bible has been lost in translation over the years:

what do you think of Jehovah Witnesses?-bible.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-16-2016, 12:56 PM
 
Location: at the foothills of the cascades, washington
204 posts, read 94,810 times
Reputation: 244
on a sidenote, I found this site to be a good laugh of JW satire:

https://thewitchtower.wordpress.com/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2016, 12:50 AM
 
7,811 posts, read 5,062,642 times
Reputation: 2972
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulmabriefs144 View Post
This is exactly why I don't abide atheists. You are within rights to believe in anything you want. It is when you start to "know" what is true, and telling other people they are idiots for believing in something
So you say "this" is the reason you have an issue with atheists, but then go on to attack things the user did not actually do? How does that make any sense? The user did not call anyone an idiot. The user did not say they did not have the right to believe.

So it seems this is NOT the reason you have an issue with atheists. Rather you simply HAVE an issue and you are happy to project interpretations on to their text that are egregiously false in order to validate that issue to yourself.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-17-2016, 09:03 AM
 
Location: GOVERNMENT of TRAITORS & NAZIS
20,572 posts, read 22,733,728 times
Reputation: 7627
JWs are evangelicals' alter-egos ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2016, 11:31 PM
 
Location: Australia
481 posts, read 166,285 times
Reputation: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I find that people who use the word "cult" to describe a religion they disapprove of are generally pretty uninformed. I try to reserve the use of the word "cult" to describe true cults like Jim Jones and the People's Temple.
Exactly!!!! Others feel that it is insulting to call a religious faith a cult, that is on their heads because the JWs don't care, they know that Satan will train people to denigrate Jehovah without knowing why.

I wonder if that poster considers the 242 denominations of the Catholic Creed as cults?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2016, 11:37 PM
 
7,113 posts, read 2,896,418 times
Reputation: 9791
Be very cautious. They will follow you and bug the heck out of you if you even talk to them. Then they come by with more people. Its a racket. I don't understand why they want to recruit believers. They strike you as nice people but they can't take NO for an answer. I can't get that involved in ANY religion. I won't even answer the door if I see two people waiting outside.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2016, 11:43 PM
 
Location: Australia
481 posts, read 166,285 times
Reputation: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDSLOTS View Post
After the young Jehovah Witnesses came and knocked on my door, wanting to talk about their religion, and I said, "Sure, if you let me share mine," I lost any interest in them -- not that I was thinking of converting, but am always willing to listen and share, in an effort to learn from others.

My younger sister, in an effort to deal with our miserable upbringing and look for 'healing,' has bounced from one thing to another, including different churches and denominations. She announced to the middle sister, and the rest of the family, that she had 'embraced' the beliefs of the Jehovah's Witnesses, and asked us to refrain from wanting to celebrate Christmas with her, and her family. A few years after her conversion, she called me one morning, in tears, asking if I thought only 40,000 would make it to heaven, and that they would be men. Thought sure she knew what she was attesting to believe when she joined the church. Alas, no. I am sure she won't be the last Christian to ever join a church, devote themselves to a faith, without knowing to what exactly one is ascribing.

I think the Jehovah's Witnesses are too narrow-minded, myself, but admire their tenacity.
Obviously you didn't bother to listen to your "Distraught" Sister or she didn't know what the JWs and the Bible says about the heavenly class.

The Bible tells of Jesus setting up the Heavenly Kingdom with 144,000 faithful and discreet slaves who will rule as priests and Kings, and it is not just men.

I think it would be a waste of time to explain the details here, as it would appear you just grab at some long lost words to attack the Witnesses.

However, get in touch with you sister and tell her to ask about the Earthly Paradise that the "Great Crowd" of Revelation will inherit because of Jesus' ransom sacrifice. That is the Eden of genesis regained, as Jehovah has promised. Eden means Paradise, and the rejuvenation of the earth will cover the whole of it in a Eden like Paradise.

A few years after her "Conversion" and she didn't know what the Bible taught, like you she must have had a short attention span.

One last point: Your sister, or anyone else would not be a baptized JW if they did not know what the Bible teaches.

Check the facts and come back with a better story.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-18-2016, 11:57 PM
 
Location: Australia
481 posts, read 166,285 times
Reputation: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrpuff View Post
yes, i well do. i was raised jehovah's witness and i see it for the sham it really is, along with all religion. your "teachers" have been wrongly predicting the "end times" for quite some time now, and will continue to do so for quite some time.

tell me, kjw47 ..........are you reporting on your service sheet all this time you are "witnessing" online? goin for pioneer status this month?
It is not so amazing, but it is continuous: The ones that claim the have 'left' the Jws are the ones that condemn them the most. This shows that they were not true lovers of God in the first place and when outed, by themselves or the organization a have a rat attack at the group without any clear foundation. You can say anything here if you say it about the unliked

There are many that have humbly admitted that they were wrong, maybe some other person annoyed them, or something made them leave. These ones come back stronger and with more determination than ever.

Jehovah gave mankind the right of choice, so there is no way that the JWs would interfere with the right of choice, but to make a choice one needs to be informed of what the choices are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top