U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-19-2016, 06:37 PM
 
Location: Australia
481 posts, read 166,565 times
Reputation: 126

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoppers View Post
Huh, let's see. The most obvious one.

Their refusal to celebrate birthdays or holidays, except for the "Remembrance Day". Their "proof text" for this is Luke 22:17-20 ("keep this day in remembrance of me") and assume that since this is the only thing they are to commemorate, it somehow "forbids" them from celebrating holidays and birthdays, even though they admit that
[a]lthough the Bible does not explicitly forbid celebrating birthdays, it does help us to reason on key features of these events and understand Godís view of them. (https://www.jw.org/en/jehovahs-witnesses/faq/birthdays/)
The problem is that the Bible does NOT help them "reason on key features of these events and understand God's views on them".

They also mention that nowhere in the Bible is a birthday celebrated. Oh no! It also never mentions riding in a car. Those evil pagan cars! Yet JWs ride in them all the time. At least the Amish take it to the extreme and don't use things not mentioned in the Bible.

And apparently thus, those are God's views on them, even though he never says a single word about them or ever forbids them. It's all because one holiday is commanded to be held - yet never is it said to refrain from celebrating others. How could it? The Old Testament commands the Israelites to celebrate all kinds of holidays - for all eternity. Jesus, as a practicing Jew, observed these very same holidays.


If they hold to the whole "it's a pagan thing", then that's equally foolish (because #1: it's not), for I don't know any JW's that refuse to use the names of the days of the week, or the months - virtually all of them from scary pagan deity names! Oh no, it's Wednesday! Odin's Day! Run away!

What about the male name Gavin, a very popular Scottish name of old, what is the meaning of Gavin? It is street urchin, so you would call him a street urchin rather than Gavin, I am sure.

So... there's that obvious one. I don't need to give a scripture, as the interpretation of Luke into an outright ban on holidays and birthdays is already bad interpretation.
I am afraid that if there is no scriptural proof, I cannot answer your false statements of Celebrating Remembrance Day. Not done. No birthdays mentioned in the Bible, what about Herod's birthday feast?

However, in general to give you some sort of an answer: Being a Christian is a full time occupation, it has enough things in it to keep the truth above all other matters. Why fill it with man made and money making holidays that hold more pagan origin than anything to do with Christianity.

You do not understand the "Do this in remembrance of me." scripture, which is not a holy DAY but a commemoration of the establishment of the heavenly Kingdom, and is an even that is partaken by the Faithful and Discreet slave class only once a year on the equivalent date to the Passover, which is not longer a law for Christians.

As far as using the pagan names in the world today, I see no logic in your argument. we use foreign names in our everyday English. Entree, Reservoir, and others from the French, and there are words from other languages spoken in English on an every day basis.

I do not mean to be sarcastic, but it is better to write a factual question than have a guess at something the does not apply, don't you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-19-2016, 06:46 PM
 
Location: Australia
481 posts, read 166,565 times
Reputation: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjw47 View Post
Yes no one was performing transfusions then, But God knew they would come. The ot teaches-- the soul is in the blood. Not one on earth can prove about blood transfusions either way basically. It shouldn't even be discussed, it cannot be proved by either side. But when one knows the real teachers of Jesus teach something on the matter , they put their trust into those teachers-Luke 10:16--its the same as putting ones trust in Jesus and God at the same time. If one rejects those teachers words and they are true, they are rejecting Jesus and God as well-Luke 10:16)
This is becoming less and less of a favorite for the JW basters as the medical fraternity are seeing that giving a transfusion is more a convenience than a cure of anything. There is more than scriptural evidence in the God Law on blood, but one that stands out in my mind is that O King David, who refused a drink of water from one of his soldiers because the soldier had to go into enemy territory to retrieve the water, thus offering his "Blood".

But again there is no scriptural reference to where it is all right to have blood transfusions or to take blood in any form from the questioner, where as there is a number of scriptures that signify the sanctity of blood being the life source of man.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2016, 06:55 PM
 
Location: Australia
481 posts, read 166,565 times
Reputation: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringwielder View Post
The JWs are indoctrinated to believe that every single person who leaves, leaves for a selfish or immoral reason.. sex, materialism, laziness, rebelliousness. There can be no good reason for leaving, because its the 'truth' and why would you want to ever leave the 'truth'?

I left because I found out it wasn't the truth. After nearly 40 years, I discovered that the men on the Governing Body lied about and massaged the history of the Jehovah's Witnesses in their Proclaimers book. Among many things they try to portray Judge Rutherford as a jovial, larger than life character, whereas in reality was a cruel, scheming, ambitious womanizer, who smuggled in booze during prohibition and used contributions to buy fancy cars and a big house in California, where, ostensibly, some of the more prominent Bible characters would live after their resurrection, although he frequently used it for himself. The house was an embarrassment and was sold soon after he died.

There are many other things that clearly identify the JWs as not having the 'truth' , too many to list here, and as for their notion of the 'light getting brighter' to explain their ever changing beliefs, such as the 11 changes about the Generation prophecy alone, over the years, how do they know that what they believe now is the truth, as they have clearly believed lies before for many years. Oh sorry, not lies they would say but 'old truth' which is actually untruth or yes, lies, which the Governing body forced followers to believe under threat of expulsion if they questioned or doubted it.

That is very cultlike don't you think ?

"the Governing body forced followers to believe under threat of expulsion if they questioned or doubted it."
No truth in this statement what-so-ever. Do you think (Yes I guess you would) that the freedom of choice, as given to Adam and Eve was taken away by the Governing body of the JW's?

That is like saying that the Pope doesn't promote the Trinity theory.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2016, 07:03 PM
 
37,553 posts, read 25,268,086 times
Reputation: 5858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringwielder View Post
The JWs are indoctrinated to believe that every single person who leaves, leaves for a selfish or immoral reason.. sex, materialism, laziness, rebelliousness. There can be no good reason for leaving, because its the 'truth' and why would you want to ever leave the 'truth'?

I left because I found out it wasn't the truth. After nearly 40 years, I discovered that the men on the Governing Body lied about and massaged the history of the Jehovah's Witnesses in their Proclaimers book. Among many things they try to portray Judge Rutherford as a jovial, larger than life character, whereas in reality was a cruel, scheming, ambitious womanizer, who smuggled in booze during prohibition and used contributions to buy fancy cars and a big house in California, where, ostensibly, some of the more prominent Bible characters would live after their resurrection, although he frequently used it for himself. The house was an embarrassment and was sold soon after he died.

There are many other things that clearly identify the JWs as not having the 'truth' , too many to list here, and as for their notion of the 'light getting brighter' to explain their ever changing beliefs, such as the 11 changes about the Generation prophecy alone, over the years, how do they know that what they believe now is the truth, as they have clearly believed lies before for many years. Oh sorry, not lies they would say but 'old truth' which is actually untruth or yes, lies, which the Governing body forced followers to believe under threat of expulsion if they questioned or doubted it.

That is very cultlike don't you think ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marakorpa View Post

"the Governing body forced followers to believe under threat of expulsion if they questioned or doubted it."
No truth in this statement what-so-ever. Do you think (Yes I guess you would) that the freedom of choice, as given to Adam and Eve was taken away by the Governing body of the JW's?
That is like saying that the Pope doesn't promote the Trinity theory.
Dodge and misdirect completely ignoring the actual substance of the indictment of the JW's so-called "truth." Disfellowship as a consequence for unbelief IS a threat of expulsion. The JW's are NOT a benevolent organization.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2016, 09:30 PM
 
Location: Missouri
661 posts, read 1,030,655 times
Reputation: 303
Awake! 1961 Feb 22 pp.5,7,8
"But then it also speaks of a group of people preaching about the righteous kingdom of God, a war of God against all wickedness, followed by a paradise earth without death - all to be realised in the twentieth century. ...
That now-operating kingdom in heaven will, within the twentieth century, cleanse the entire earth of wickedness. ...

This was just one of many falsehoods that have been written down over the years. If I had been a JW at that time and it became known that I did not think that this would happen, I would have been warned about murmuring, and eventually disfellowshipped as an apostate, even though this statement was patently untrue.

The Governing body DO NOT tolerate questioning and like many religions see doubt as wrong and weak when doubt is actually a good thing because doubt makes us research and find out the truth. its all about control.

Last edited by Ringwielder; 10-19-2016 at 09:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2016, 10:48 PM
Status: "Phlegmatic." (set 1 day ago)
 
Location: Ontario, Canada
23,383 posts, read 12,098,827 times
Reputation: 10666
They are weak-minded, robotic drones.

Look one in the eye and there's no there, there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2016, 11:02 PM
 
37,553 posts, read 25,268,086 times
Reputation: 5858
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringwielder View Post
Awake! 1961 Feb 22 pp.5,7,8
"But then it also speaks of a group of people preaching about the righteous kingdom of God, a war of God against all wickedness, followed by a paradise earth without death - all to be realised in the twentieth century. ...
That now-operating kingdom in heaven will, within the twentieth century, cleanse the entire earth of wickedness. ...

This was just one of many falsehoods that have been written down over the years. If I had been a JW at that time and it became known that I did not think that this would happen, I would have been warned about murmuring, and eventually disfellowshipped as an apostate, even though this statement was patently untrue.

The Governing body DO NOT tolerate questioning and like many religions see doubt as wrong and weak when doubt is actually a good thing because doubt makes us research and find out the truth. its all about control.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2016, 11:03 PM
 
37,553 posts, read 25,268,086 times
Reputation: 5858
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
They are weak-minded, robotic drones.
Look one in the eye and there's no there, there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2016, 11:34 PM
 
Location: Australia
481 posts, read 166,565 times
Reputation: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Again I say: The Jehovah's Witnesses have never and will never try to contravene God's Given Right of Choice.

So far I have seen no scriptural evidence proving the JWs wrong, there has been a lot of guess work on what is the truth and what is fairy tales.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-19-2016, 11:43 PM
 
Location: Australia
481 posts, read 166,565 times
Reputation: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You see, here is sound Scriptural proof form someone who has nothing to give.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top