U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 10-20-2016, 06:14 PM
 
Location: minnesota
5,256 posts, read 1,679,690 times
Reputation: 1836

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marakorpa View Post
Yes, dream on indeed. Many people of little intelligence will stare at something that they have no knowledge about and see nothing.
I grew up in "the truth" in the 70s& 80s. I would have been extremely embarrassed to see the behavior displayed by you and exPat & Kw7. You are not the Jehovah's Witnesses I remember. I keep trying to tell people that there is not something fundamentally wrong with people that go along with cults but you just keep proving me wrong with comments like this. I surely hope no one is judging the integrity of your fellow brothers and sisters by your lack of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 10-20-2016, 06:19 PM
 
Location: Northeastern US
14,070 posts, read 8,571,536 times
Reputation: 6006
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marakorpa View Post
KJW47 Do you notice that no one will give scriptural proof that the JWs are wrong, or more importantly that God's Word is wrong. I think I am a bit hard on them as they do not have the where with all to understand what is written, and wouldn't know the bible from a Phantom Comic. This is not an insult as it shows its truth through the lack of Scriptural proof from the debaters.
If I were still an evangelical Christian I might make scriptural arguments as I know quite a bit more about the Bible than even most evangelicals, having had some formal theological training, and unlike many Christians I've actually READ the thing. But like many here I am simply arguing that your assertions are unsupported by facts and evidence and logic. Partly because I no longer see the scriptures as a fount of truth, and partly because if you can't make an evidence-based, substantiated argument then in effect you're dishonoring the scriptures you claim to believe anyway, because you're admitting they're nonsensical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2016, 06:45 PM
 
Location: minnesota
5,256 posts, read 1,679,690 times
Reputation: 1836
How about one of the JWs participating on this board explain this contraction to me. Would either of you argue that Jehovah's Witnesses alone are God's spokesman on earth? Here is what the Watchtower says and they would back you up if you said "yes, they alone are God's organization. Notice the wording used in this article, it's going to come up again.

17 Is it presumptuous of Jehovah’s Witnesses to point out that they alone have God’s backing? Actually, no more so than when the Israelites in Egypt claimed to have God’s backing in spite of the Egyptians’ belief, or when first-century Christians claimed to have God’s backing to the exclusion of Jewish religionists. The facts speak for themselves. In 235 lands Jehovah’s Witnesses are doing the work Jesus foretold that his true followers would be doing in the time of the end: “This good news of the kingdom will be preached in all the inhabited earth for a witness to all the nations; and then the end will come.”—Matthew 24:14.

€œIf God Is for Us, Who Will Be Against Us?€ — Watchtower ONLINE LIBRARY

Yet, Jackson himself calls it presumptuous when testifying to the Royal Commission...why? He was in a position to give a witness...why didn't he? I started it right at the point he testifies to it I'm not asking anyone to watch 2 hours of that guy.


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erWV8YnTFto&t=1232s

Edit: I don't know if it's just my computer but if you click on the video it starts too late. click on the link below to hear what he says.

Last edited by L8Gr8Apost8; 10-20-2016 at 07:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2016, 08:54 PM
Status: "Phlegmatic." (set 6 hours ago)
 
Location: Ontario, Canada
23,377 posts, read 12,085,923 times
Reputation: 10662
Marakorpa, kj, keepy are doing a fantastic job illustrating the JW mentality.

Keep posting!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2016, 09:09 PM
 
Location: minnesota
5,256 posts, read 1,679,690 times
Reputation: 1836
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Marakorpa, kj, keepy are doing a fantastic job illustrating the JW mentality.

Keep posting!
Hey Trout, did you see this thread? Check out the last 2 pages as you can see K7 give a spectacular witness for forgiving pedos and getting angry with people who want the police involved.

Witnessing of Jehovah to Jehovah Witness
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-20-2016, 11:13 PM
 
37,545 posts, read 25,261,889 times
Reputation: 5857
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
If I were still an evangelical Christian I might make scriptural arguments as I know quite a bit more about the Bible than even most evangelicals, having had some formal theological training, and unlike many Christians I've actually READ the thing. But like many here I am simply arguing that your assertions are unsupported by facts and evidence and logic. Partly because I no longer see the scriptures as a fount of truth, and partly because if you can't make an evidence-based, substantiated argument then in effect you're dishonoring the scriptures you claim to believe anyway, because you're admitting they're nonsensical.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2016, 01:28 AM
 
Location: Australia
481 posts, read 166,370 times
Reputation: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
No. Although ritual is a tool used more by some than others, indoctrination is teaching people to accept asserted dogma uncritically and without question. That is the core issue. whether or not or in what way you use ritual to that end is merely a question of technique.

That is no different than what most fundamentalist Christians would claim, that they sit around and rationally discuss and debate the meaning of the scriptures and arrive at an intelligent assessment of what they teach and the implications of it. And that everyone is free to come and go.

The fact is that even absent the overt shunning techniques that JWs are well known for despite your denials, there is a nonzero and generally nontrivial psychological and social cost for leaving any insular group once one is invested in it.
The law of the of the rule is to keep a powerful organization on the one track, if t hose ones that come into the organization with the intent of causing dissent within, they are soon discovered and removed. Is not this "Good Housekeeping", Answer me this: What religious organization on earth has the same dogma from country to country amongst all its adherents. OF the 8 million publishers in the JWs you will hear the same truths in Alaska as you will in Australia, China or Chicago. Many of todays churches are saying that the local congregations are autonomous and can preach whatever feels good to the locals. Is that what Jesus advised?

"Teaching people to accept" what is wrong with that, do not all teachers teach classes hoping that the students will accept what they are told is the truth. Even when evolution is taught in school, or Buddhism, Hinduism, Islam and all the so called Christian religions do the "Indoctrination Process" of trying to get the congregations to accept what they are told, the sad part is that Satan has blinded these congregations to the extent that they cannot see the lies and deceptions, that have NO SCRIPTURAL PROOF.

It is poor debate to use a phrase and then make drastic changes in the meaning of those phrases as the questions come in. This is why I say give Scriptural proof of the incorrectness of the JW's beliefs. You use the word indoctrination to be sarcastic about the Word of God, and this is obvious as you do not seem to think that any other religious concept is indoctrinating its adherents.

If you look at your reply, you will see that you are only testing ideas and indoctrinating yourself into some form of belief.

It is the JWs who singularly, allow the people to look up and study the Bible at their leisure, questioning parts they do not understand, and cross referencing those questions FROM the Bible. Many religious organizations that call themselves Christians do not encourage Bible Study and rely on tradition rather than scripture.

Define your interpretation of a Fundamentalist Christian, was Jesus a fundi?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2016, 01:31 AM
 
Location: Australia
481 posts, read 166,370 times
Reputation: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Marakorpa, kj, keepy are doing a fantastic job illustrating the JW mentality.

Keep posting!
Unfortunate you haven't been able to demonstrate your mentality yet! As King Solomon said: It is all vanity, a blowing in the wind.

Last edited by Marakorpa; 10-21-2016 at 01:46 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2016, 08:18 AM
 
Location: Missouri
661 posts, read 1,030,540 times
Reputation: 303
Show me the reinstatement process from the Bible and how that squares up with the parable of the prodigal son.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 10-21-2016, 12:44 PM
 
Location: Salt Lake City
21,282 posts, read 20,893,921 times
Reputation: 9963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marakorpa View Post
Answer me this: What religious organization on earth has the same dogma from country to country amongst all its adherents.
Mormonism.

Quote:
It is the JWs who singularly, allow the people to look up and study the Bible at their leisure, questioning parts they do not understand, and cross referencing those questions FROM the Bible.
Singularly? Hardly. Mormonism does that, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top