Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2016, 01:37 PM

6,366 posts, read 2,914,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Here is THE true fact:

Every religion is wrong.

Jesus spoke to his true religion in revelation, occurring now in front of the worlds eyes. So why are you calling Jesus a liar? Not a good place to be standing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2016, 01:37 PM

28,090 posts, read 29,930,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjw47 View Post
Not even close-- both groups know 100% for sure, God was never a trinity. But the Mormons have a whole other book written by a man.
No more written by a man than the Bible was.

Old 10-29-2016, 02:47 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,165,320 times
Quote:
Jesus spoke to his true religion in revelation, occurring now in front of the worlds eyes. So why are you calling Jesus a liar? Not a good place to be standing.
I'm calling you a liar.

And your threats may frighten children, the mentally deficient and the spiritually lost but they are laughable to me.

Old 10-30-2016, 04:17 AM

33,521 posts, read 37,118,345 times
what do you think of Jehovah Witnesses?

I try not to think of them, but when I do, I remember why I despise that cult.....Only a cult would encourage shunning, a practice that destroys families.

Old 10-30-2016, 07:41 AM

19,956 posts, read 13,447,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
I'm calling you a liar.

And your threats may frighten children, the mentally deficient and the spiritually lost but they are laughable to me.
I suspect that kjw47 imagines you uttering this in a bass-profundo voice while your head spins and green vomit comes out of your mouth. BLASphemy!!

His citation of The Revelation is revealing. The fevered dreamscape of that book has been a template for apocalyptic fear-mongering for two millennia. It is a perfect example of how the vagueness of scripture lends itself to have all manner of conflicting interpretations hung upon it. And how it serves as justification for all sorts of pernicious nonsense.

Thankfully its effectiveness is waning. Two thousand years and counting since Jesus and Paul advanced the notion of an imminent "even at the door" second coming, has undermined the credibility of The Revelation. Education and accessible data is doing the rest, at least in those areas where civil society has elevated the human condition above the subsistence level.

Old 10-30-2016, 10:17 AM

33,521 posts, read 37,118,345 times
Another reason I despise JWs.....

It is really hard for kids to speak up when they’re abused. But the Jehovah’s Witnesses make it a lot harder.
They have a “2 Witness” rule, which says that anyone who accuses an adult of abuse must have a second witness. If there is no second witness, the accuser is punished for a false accusation - usually by ordering that no Witness may talk with or associate with the “false” accuser. This is called dis-fellowshipping. For a kid raised only with other Witnesses, it was horrifying. Even your parents would have to ignore you. https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...es-child-abuse

This is particularly revealing...Written by an insider... http://watchtowerdocuments.org/secre...ness-religion/

Last edited by sanspeur; 10-30-2016 at 10:26 AM..

Old 10-30-2016, 10:37 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,320,139 times
Quote:
Riiiight ... Surrrre.

Because, uh huh, Jesus and Jehovah decided to create everything and then wait around until the 1870's to bestow the world's TRUE religion onto humanity.

Jesus: (munching on a pickle) "Dum dee dum dee doo ... is it time yet?"

God: (cleaning his fingernails nonchalantly) "C'mon kid, the buggers just invented the wheel a few weeks ago."

Jesus: "Well ..." (crunch, nom nom nom) "What do we do with all of these souls we're accumulating before we spring the TRUE religion, Jehovah's Witnesses, onto humanity?"

God: "Who cares ..."

And ... when it was finally time, the LAST person I'd listen to about the nature of the afterlife is a high school dropout who ran scams involving "miracle beans" and fake cancer cures.

Let us not forget, too, that the JWs have a 100% failed prophesy rate. Yeah, that's right. Every single prediction their cult has ever made has failed. Now, anyone with a clear head would be lifting their butt out of the pew and be heading for the nearest Kingdom Hall exit knowing this ... and their litany of failed prophesies SHOULD have killed off this sect altogether.

Except ... always bet on stupid.

Old 10-30-2016, 02:22 PM

661 posts, read 1,183,537 times
Regarding Revelation, the Society produced a book in the 1980's which purported to give the definitive interpretation of Revelation, with an explanation of just about every verse of the book. It was studied weekly at the book study, held in private homes.

It was studied again in the 1990's I think and we were given a big list of changes to make to the book in our personal copies. Today, the Society no longer produce the book, there are so many things in it they don't believe.

Old 10-30-2016, 07:20 PM

19,956 posts, read 13,447,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
Except ... always bet on stupid.
Dad-gummit, but ... it is might fine to have you back.

Old 10-31-2016, 01:43 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,369,717 times
Quote:
I know its fact, that is why I said it. Few know its fact--- just as Jesus said it would be. He taught-- FEW will find the road that leads off into life-----( be saved)to enter Gods kingdom)
Kind of unsurprising 101 stuff though if you are establishing nonsense that you want to disseminate as fact. You are going to build into that narrative, if you know what you are doing, clauses that address the fact that it is nonsense. And "predicting" that few will believe it, and act like it is fact, and will even mock it........ is pretty much basic in that approach.

Quote:
Not even close-- both groups know 100% for sure, God was never a trinity. But the Mormons have a whole other book written by a man.
A lot of religions have a book they like to wave about. I have yet to see a SHRED of argument, evidence, data or reasoning (least of all from you) to suggest any one of them was not written by human hand.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality