U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-06-2010, 11:10 AM

29,118 posts, read 18,394,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiJay View Post
The JW's did not rewrite the Bible, Campbell34. The New World Translation was very carefully researched and translated from the original languages of Hebrew, Aramaic and Greek into everyday speech. It is not a rewrite of someone's personal beliefs at all. The translators were meticulous in making sure that the correct translation of particular words was correct- and no, in some instances it does not agree with other versions but that is because other versions were not translated as meticulously. That is why some people misunderstand that we do not have our own translation of the Bible- we have a correct translation.
Exactly what education and credentials do these "translators" have? It requires a life time of study and applied research to be able to accurately translate even one ancient language to present "everyday speech", let alone three ancient languages!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2010, 11:13 AM

253 posts, read 691,198 times
can i wear black slacks to the congregation? i went and noticed all the girls with dresses or skirts. i was the only one with black slacks and a blouse. it was awkward. but i don't own any dresses and i don't have the money to go buy one right now.

Old 03-06-2010, 11:15 AM

29,118 posts, read 18,394,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mintleif View Post
can i wear black slacks to the congregation? i went and noticed all the girls with dresses or skirts. i was the only one with black slacks and a blouse. it was awkward. but i don't own any dresses and i don't have the money to go buy one right now.
I say come as you are. If it is a problem for the JWs, it is their problem not yours!

Read post #80 before you go to their "Kingdom Hall!"

Old 03-06-2010, 11:39 AM

21,277 posts, read 20,883,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
Christians believe in a three in One God.
Trinitarian Christians believe in a three-in-one God. Can you provide any evidence that Jesus' Apostles believed in a concept that was first introduced in 325 A.D.? Were they not Christians?

Quote:
The Watchtower Society purposely inserted the letter (A) to make the reader believe that Jesus Christ was a created Being, and not God Himself. And even thought the world body of Biblical Scholars have stated that there is simply no reason for the letter (A) being there. The Watchtower Society keeps it there, only because it supports their Doctrine. And they have done this on every verse in their New World Translation that would suggest that Christ was part of the Godhead. This is not a Translation, it is a perversion.
You're oversimplifying. There were no definite articles in the Greek. Scholars inserted them or omitted them based on what they believed the original was supposed to mean. So you get "God is a spirit" (instead of "God is spirit") and "God is light" (instead of "God is a light"). It's an arbitrary decision really, that is made by human beings trying to figure out what the original authors meant to say. Based on their own beliefs of what the intended meaning of the original words were, they either inserted or omitted the indefinite article.

Old 03-06-2010, 11:42 AM

1,243 posts, read 1,315,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
It's an arbitrary decision really
So is it justified to teach as fact what is uncertain?

Old 03-06-2010, 12:48 PM

313 posts, read 736,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mintleif View Post
Yes, you can! When I first started attending meetings I didn't own one either... someone may have an extra that would fit you and be happy to lend it to you too. That is what happened with me

Old 03-06-2010, 01:22 PM

3,302 posts, read 3,757,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shibata View Post
The answer given.
I asked a question. Maybe I did not fully get the answer you provided, I suppose. This is the prime example of the lack of 'Christian' patience. I do not believe there is any harm in possibly expanding since it looks it must have missed the point in the answer.

That is why people that stump on so much god fearing behavior seem to show a air or arrogance and a lot of patience. Not everybody I will say that because I have meet some great people that profess being Christians.

You have a great day.
El Amigo

Old 03-06-2010, 01:26 PM

7,654 posts, read 9,676,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Trinitarian Christians believe in a three-in-one God. Can you provide any evidence that Jesus' Apostles believed in a concept that was first introduced in 325 A.D.? Were they not Christians?

You're oversimplifying. There were no definite articles in the Greek. Scholars inserted them or omitted them based on what they believed the original was supposed to mean. So you get "God is a spirit" (instead of "God is spirit") and "God is light" (instead of "God is a light"). It's an arbitrary decision really, that is made by human beings trying to figure out what the original authors meant to say. Based on their own beliefs of what the intended meaning of the original words were, they either inserted or omitted the indefinite article.

You can go back all the way to the Old Testament and see that God is more than one. In the first book of the Bible God states. Let (US) make man in (OUR) image and in (OUR) likness.

Who was God speaking to here?

Old 03-06-2010, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
Be careful!

If your relationship with your cousins is important to you, the best thing is to keep a distance from their church.

Your cousins will be able to continue to have a relationship or communicate with you as long as they believe they are in the "process" of converting you.

However, once you begin to attend services and later withdrawal, your cousins will be instructed by the church elders to have no further contact with you.

JW are very strict about this. Their members will literally disown their own children if the children leave the faith!

Dysfunctional Beliefs of a Jehovah's Witness Apostate
I also have very good close interaction with Jehovah's Witnesses. I believe you did give somewhat of a distorted picture on them. I am not saying what you said is not true. I do believe they have their zealots that may take things too far.

They do expel people that go against their precepts after they are baptized.

People that may have attended and later decide not to attend but never got baptized are not considered as going back on God since they never professed being a Jehovah's Witness.

I suggest that anyone is interested in learning about them. Go and attend their services and find out for yourself. Do not totally believe on hearsay from anyone. That is the best way to find out things for yourself.

The website listed above already tells that is a biased view and anyone that suggest going to it already shows biased against them. That is why the best way to know about Jehovah's Witnesses is to talk to them, meet them, and learn about them. This principle applies in any subject in discussion.

You have a great day.
El Amigo

Old 03-06-2010, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell34 View Post
You can go back all the way to the Old Testament and see that God is more than one. In the first book of the Bible God states. Let (US) make man in (OUR) image and in (OUR) likness.

Who was God speaking to here?
That language is open to different interpretations due to it being a tranlation from Aramaic.

Plural language like that is used today that can be interpreted as all are included when in reality only one person is the one that did some specific task.

Example: After a meeting somebody may assign me a task. I may get off the meeting table when the meeting is done and say something like "We'll get this done now!" when in reality it was only I who worked on the project. After a project is completed and give a briefing I may say "We did this or We did that" when I am the only one that did it.

Now, image and likeness? God and whomever he was talking to are spirits according to the Bible so of course they share some thing like image and likeness in some ways and humans may share some of those traits.

You have a great day.
El Amigo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality