U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2016, 05:10 PM

4,592 posts, read 2,274,712 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjw47 View Post
Many voted--no drunk driving, no illegal drugs, no paedophilia, no murder--did they stop it= NO-- Gods kingdom will stop it all.
You better read rev 16-- its coming--Every kingdom( govt, armies, supporters) on this earth will be mislead by 3 inspired expressions to stand in opposition to Jesus. The result--Dan 2:44)
There is no better good one can do than to spread the good news of Gods coming kingdom. The sayings of eternal life.
Since the good news message of Matthew 24:14; Acts 1:8 is at a 'final phase', so to speak, now being done on a grand international scale today as never before in history, then we are also nearing the ' final signal ', so to speak, of 1st Thess. 5:2-3 when ' they ' (powers that be) will be saying, " Peace and Security " as a precursor to the coming great tribulation of Rev. 7:14 before Jesus, as Prince of Peace, will be the one who will usher in global Peace on Earth among people of goodwill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2016, 05:12 PM

4,592 posts, read 2,274,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrpuff View Post
yea, true....at least they help with disaster relief efforts
There is much more than disaster relief efforts mentioned at www.jw.org

Old 12-06-2016, 01:26 AM

852 posts, read 573,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
I would cast a vote against corruption, or at least to reduce it. There are anti-corruption laws and anti-corruption initiatives that are worthy efforts for example.

You can abandon government to its worst impulses if you want. I'm not going to.

In my experience the JWs along with most Christian fundamentalists are so pessimistic about their fellow humans that they abandon the influence for good they could be in the world.
We do not interfere or sponsor legislation to take away your right to believe or live a lifestyle we don't agree with. That includes voting. We just hope you'll extend the same courtesy to us. If you want to vote than that's between you and whatever belief system you have. Jehovah's Witnesses aren't pessimistic. People just like to focus on the negatives of being a JW because it's easier to criticize others than look beyond the prejudices. We volunteer our time and financial resources to help others find answers from the Bible In countries where illiteracy is a problem we engage in literacy and Bible based programs that develop qualities which empower some to transform themselves into better human beings.

The link below is from a secular newspaper article from one such country:

Jehovah

To me pessimistic would be:

To believe that countless millions will undergo eternal damnation in hellfire.
That when we die there is no hope of resurrection. YOLO. No hope of ever seeing dead loved ones
Belief that the earth will be destroyed through climate change, nuclear holocaust or whatever people have convinced themselves to be the case.

On the contrary we are optimistic about mankind's future. However, true faith allows one to see how things really are and not how they appear to be. We are realist. It's going to be one heck of a bumpy ride before mankind's condition improves.

Old 12-06-2016, 10:37 AM

14,070 posts, read 8,580,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hd4me View Post
We do not interfere or sponsor legislation to take away your right to believe or live a lifestyle we don't agree with. That includes voting. We just hope you'll extend the same courtesy to us.
Then you will doubtless be relieved to realize that I never said you should be forced to vote; I merely argued against not voting or being politically involved. And you did not provide counterfacts to address that argument; rather, you invented a persecution narrative out of whole cloth.
Quote:
Jehovah's Witnesses aren't pessimistic. People just like to focus on the negatives of being a JW because it's easier to criticize others than look beyond the prejudices. We volunteer our time and financial resources to help others find answers from the Bible In countries where illiteracy is a problem we engage in literacy and Bible based programs that develop qualities which empower some to transform themselves into better human beings.
If you were truly concerned about literacy you would teach literacy without an agenda limited to the Bible.
Quote:

Jehovah
No it is an example of JW-generated media spin.
Quote:
To me pessimistic would be:

To believe that countless millions will undergo eternal damnation in hellfire.
That when we die there is no hope of resurrection. YOLO. No hope of ever seeing dead loved ones
Belief that the earth will be destroyed through climate change, nuclear holocaust or whatever people have convinced themselves to be the case.

On the contrary we are optimistic about mankind's future. However, true faith allows one to see how things really are and not how they appear to be. We are realist. It's going to be one heck of a bumpy ride before mankind's condition improves.
Which conveniently absolves you from any responsibility for or action regarding mankind's condition in the here and now. And to deny the very real dangers in the here and now so as to work to guard against them.

It is just another version of deferring justice and compassion to the afterlife where it will magically be okay.

I do not see any substantive or meaningful difference between your sect and the one I grew up in on this score. It's always pie in the sky by and by.

Old 12-12-2016, 03:02 PM

481 posts, read 166,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Mormonism.

Singularly? Hardly. Mormonism does that, too.
Is that the Bible according to John Smith? Before you retort, the JW's have no concern if you /we use the KJV.

Old 12-12-2016, 03:09 PM

Default Be the great discerner

Jehovah

I read this article, and can not see anything one should be afraid of. This education uses the Bible, or Bible principles and is in the language of the student or other language/s as chosen by the student.

The JW teachers would not use too much material that is known by JWs as their reasons for believing what they do as this would be a bit complicated for a student to take in the language learning and doctrine as well, and the article says this very thing.

The program has been very successful, not only in that country, but is similar countries and dominions worldwide.

Last edited by Marakorpa; 12-12-2016 at 03:19 PM..

Old 12-12-2016, 03:16 PM

4,077 posts, read 1,461,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marakorpa View Post
The JW knockers and the milder ones who question the 'right' of JW's to claim that they have the Truth against all others, I lay down this challenge and ask you to tell us which religion you discern to be the one and only, and then using only the Bible, show us why.

I am sure we can debate you discernment from the same source.

100% fact of reality---There is no trinity god in existence.
The Israelites from Moses on up, taught, served and worshipped in every synagogue and temple---a single being God named YHWH(Jehovah) The God taught to Jesus while he attended for 30 years. The God Jesus taught--John 20:17, Rev 3:12------- getting a Trinitarian to believe Jesus is just about impossible in a satan ruled world.

Old 12-12-2016, 03:32 PM

Default Have a think

Quote:
Jesus started his religion. no mortal did.
MR. Russell exposed many trinity lies and corrected them.
Gods view of a cult= Mark 3:24-26-- a house divided( 33,000 trinity religions) will not stand.
Jesus started one single religion-1Cor 1:10

What restrictions are they you speak of?
When you think of you first statement, Jesus was a mortal, he was a mortal until he was resurrected to the heavenly realm after his murder on the torture stake. Jesus, like the angles, was mortal when they were created. If Jesus had not been a mortal but possessed immortality, Jehovah could not have offered him up to 'death' for the redemption of man's sins.

This may also get you to think about the trinity theory.

But, yes, Jesus did introduce Christianity and it was first named 'Christianity' at Antioch. Acts 11:26

Old 12-12-2016, 04:49 PM

37,573 posts, read 25,275,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
You are not listening. We are NOT supposed to ENFORCE what God wants from us, period. If it is NOT VOLUNTARY, it is of no value to God. What about that do you not get??? It has nothing to do with warnings. Your shunning and disfellowshipping are attempts to FORCE on others what you think God wants from us. That is evil because it thwarts what God actually wants.
Quote:
Jesus' real teachers make sure every teaching is learned.
Or else!! We are NOT here to enforce God's will on others, only on ourselves, period! We are not here to judge the world or others, just ourselves.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marakorpa View Post
When you think of you first statement, Jesus was a mortal, he was a mortal until he was resurrected to the heavenly realm after his murder on the torture stake. Jesus, like the angles, was mortal when they were created. If Jesus had not been a mortal but possessed immortality, Jehovah could not have offered him up to 'death' for the redemption of man's sins.
On this we agree. If Jesus was NOT a mortal man just like us then His achievements would have NO significance for the rest of us. That is why He is referred to as the First-born. We are to follow.

Old 12-15-2016, 06:39 AM

5,294 posts, read 1,686,858 times
Quote:
I have heard those words from apostates. Never from a Jw --Why do you think that is? This is fact---Every real JW uses their very own personal free will to listen to the JW teachers--Why?? Because Jesus is the head of the congregation-Ephesians 5:23) and according to Luke 10:16--if one rejects the real teachers of Jesus its the same as rejecting God and Jesus. And vica versa.
Could it be that people that are being scammed don't know that they are part of a scheme? People do figure it out though and when they try to warn their friends and families only are they then called apostates. That is why you hear the word cult only from an apostate because before they earned that title they were JWs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality