U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 12-17-2016, 04:58 PM
 
Location: Salt Lake City
21,280 posts, read 20,893,921 times
Reputation: 9963

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Few non-JW's say things like, "The JW's are awesome. I'm not a JW but those people are exceptional human beings. The world would be a better place if every other religion disappeared and the Watchtower Society decided everything." Thus your unhappiness.

If, on the other hand, people were super-enthusiastic about your religion you would no doubt be thrilled this thread exists.
I have no more complaint about the JWs beliefs than I do about the beliefs of any other religion. I may not agree with them, but I've never really spoken out against them, as I believe that all any of us really have is "beliefs" -- not "facts." My only problem with the JWs is the attitude of superiority they exude, and the feeling I always get that they are looking down on me with a kind of a mixture of contempt and pity. I wish they could just believe what they feel in their hearts to be true without feeling the need to constantly tell everybody else that they're wrong. It they could do that, I'd feel about them pretty much like I feel about all other religious people who simply understand and worship God differently than I do. I would love and respect them as God's children and as my brothers and sisters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-17-2016, 05:59 PM
 
Location: Northeastern US
14,070 posts, read 8,569,500 times
Reputation: 6003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I have no more complaint about the JWs beliefs than I do about the beliefs of any other religion. I may not agree with them, but I've never really spoken out against them, as I believe that all any of us really have is "beliefs" -- not "facts." My only problem with the JWs is the attitude of superiority they exude, and the feeling I always get that they are looking down on me with a kind of a mixture of contempt and pity. I wish they could just believe what they feel in their hearts to be true without feeling the need to constantly tell everybody else that they're wrong. It they could do that, I'd feel about them pretty much like I feel about all other religious people who simply understand and worship God differently than I do. I would love and respect them as God's children and as my brothers and sisters.
As an unbeliever in gods I have pretty much the same feelings. It is the controlling authoritarianism and the lack of epistemological humility (both even more pronounced that in other branches of fundamentalism) that is the turn-off. Otherwise I, too, would not regard them on balance differently than any other religion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2016, 07:41 PM
 
37,531 posts, read 25,255,858 times
Reputation: 5857
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I have no more complaint about the JWs beliefs than I do about the beliefs of any other religion. I may not agree with them, but I've never really spoken out against them, as I believe that all any of us really have is "beliefs" -- not "facts." My only problem with the JWs is the attitude of superiority they exude, and the feeling I always get that they are looking down on me with a kind of a mixture of contempt and pity. I wish they could just believe what they feel in their hearts to be true without feeling the need to constantly tell everybody else that they're wrong. It they could do that, I'd feel about them pretty much like I feel about all other religious people who simply understand and worship God differently than I do. I would love and respect them as God's children and as my brothers and sisters.
Amen!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2016, 08:31 PM
 
Location: Australia
481 posts, read 166,370 times
Reputation: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I have no more complaint about the JWs beliefs than I do about the beliefs of any other religion. I may not agree with them, but I've never really spoken out against them, as I believe that all any of us really have is "beliefs" -- not "facts." My only problem with the JWs is the attitude of superiority they exude, and the feeling I always get that they are looking down on me with a kind of a mixture of contempt and pity. I wish they could just believe what they feel in their hearts to be true without feeling the need to constantly tell everybody else that they're wrong. It they could do that, I'd feel about them pretty much like I feel about all other religious people who simply understand and worship God differently than I do. I would love and respect them as God's children and as my brothers and sisters.
The Jws are very aware of the antagonism they cause when they go witnessing, but they believe the Bible and they firmly believe that they are commissioned to follow the scripture and explanation from JW.org

WHETHER people agree with us or bitterly oppose us, few would deny that as a group Jehovahís Witnesses are well-known for their preaching activities. It may even be that you have met people in your ministry who have stated that while they disagree with our beliefs, they respect us for the work we do. As we know, Jesus foretold that the good news of the Kingdom would be preached in all the inhabited earth. (Matt. 24:14) But how do we know that the work we do is in fulfillment of Jesusí prophecy? Is it presumptuous on our part to think that we are the ones who are doing this work?

You can rest assured that the JWs as a group look down on no one, and in fact they do try really hard to love their neighbors. Of course, it you insult them at the door or become enraged they will back off as quietly as they possibly can.

If you are not interested tell them and they will leave, but they may come back again, as many have a change of heart at times. Even though I find it hard going as a "Learner" that is not baptized so not counted in the world wide numbers, I have never seen another religion that stays completely in line with the Bible.

The previous Pope, who has a cousin in Australia who is a Jehovah Witness said..."We should be doing what the JWs do, and take the message to the people not wait until they come to us."


The way religion is produced today was noted by Paul many years ago and he wrote to Timothy on this matter.

The Second to Timothy 4 I solemnly charge you before God and Christ Jesus, who is to judge+ the living and the dead,+ and by his manifestation+ and his Kingdom:+ 2 Preach the word;+ be at it urgently in favorable times and difficult times; reprove,+ reprimand, exhort, with all patience and art of teaching.+ 3 For there will be a period of time when they will not put up with the wholesome* teaching,+ but according to their own desires, they will surround themselves with teachers to have their ears tickled.*+ 4 They will turn away from listening to the truth and give attention to false stories. 5 You, though, keep your senses in all things, endure hardship,+ do the work of an evangelizer,* fully accomplish your ministry.+

Are not the churches doing just that these days, tickling the ears of the congregation in fear of frightening them away with the truth?

I don't want to get into trouble by preaching, but you are getting scripture from the Bible, so you will have to blame Jehovah.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-17-2016, 08:43 PM
 
Location: Australia
481 posts, read 166,370 times
Reputation: 126
Originally Posted by DewDropInn
Few non-JW's say things like, "The JW's are awesome. I'm not a JW but those people are exceptional human beings. The world would be a better place if every other religion disappeared and the Watchtower Society decided everything." Thus your unhappiness.

If, on the other hand, people were super-enthusiastic about your religion you would no doubt be thrilled this thread exists.

I can't find the original quote, but I am disgusted that this writer thinks he knows what I think or makes me unhappy, or thrilled. It makes me feel unclean with his comment on my thinking in any manner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2016, 08:21 AM
 
Location: Salt Lake City
21,280 posts, read 20,893,921 times
Reputation: 9963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marakorpa View Post
The Jws are very aware of the antagonism they cause when they go witnessing, but they believe the Bible and they firmly believe that they are commissioned to follow the scripture and explanation from JW.org

WHETHER people agree with us or bitterly oppose us, few would deny that as a group Jehovah’s Witnesses are well-known for their preaching activities. It may even be that you have met people in your ministry who have stated that while they disagree with our beliefs, they respect us for the work we do.
I wasn't actually even thinking about their door-to-door preaching activities, Marakorpa, as Mormons do that as well. I have JWs come to my door occasionally. We generally engage in about 30 seconds of small-talk before they start talking religion. I never invite them in, but I always accept one of their Watchtowers and wish them a good day. Then I go back into my house and actually read a couple of the articles, as I like to be well-informed about what other people believe. I have never kept a Watchtower for long, but I don't just take it and toss it.

No, I am not talking about those people. I am talking very specifically about the behavior and attitudes of the JWs I have "met" online.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2016, 03:29 PM
 
Location: Australia
481 posts, read 166,370 times
Reputation: 126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
I wasn't actually even thinking about their door-to-door preaching activities, Marakorpa, as Mormons do that as well. I have JWs come to my door occasionally. We generally engage in about 30 seconds of small-talk before they start talking religion. I never invite them in, but I always accept one of their Watchtowers and wish them a good day. Then I go back into my house and actually read a couple of the articles, as I like to be well-informed about what other people believe. I have never kept a Watchtower for long, but I don't just take it and toss it.

No, I am not talking about those people. I am talking very specifically about the behavior and attitudes of the JWs I have "met" online.
We have to be very careful of the ones on line that call themselves JWs, most are ones that have been removed from the organization and take an opportunity to argue and cause trouble for the JWs who are not on line. These are the apostates.

I have been thinking of my position, and I must agree that as yet I do not have the full "Fruitage of the Spirit", which causes me to retort instead of discuss, at times. I know this, at least, and I am working on the problem.

Then there are the scriptures that say to stay away from senseless argument, and I am advised that my efforts will not bring any non-believer to the Truth, So, Although I do enjoy debate, I may have to leave this auspicious forum and "Find my own faith".

You, Katzpur, have shown a kindness and an understanding in your comments, but be careful on reading the Watchtower, it might jump up and grab a hold of your mind and turn you into some strange type being. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2016, 04:05 PM
 
Location: minnesota
5,256 posts, read 1,679,690 times
Reputation: 1836
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marakorpa View Post
We have to be very careful of the ones on line that call themselves JWs, most are ones that have been removed from the organization and take an opportunity to argue and cause trouble for the JWs who are not on line. These are the apostates.

I have been thinking of my position, and I must agree that as yet I do not have the full "Fruitage of the Spirit", which causes me to retort instead of discuss, at times. I know this, at least, and I am working on the problem.

Then there are the scriptures that say to stay away from senseless argument, and I am advised that my efforts will not bring any non-believer to the Truth, So, Although I do enjoy debate, I may have to leave this auspicious forum and "Find my own faith".

You, Katzpur, have shown a kindness and an understanding in your comments, but be careful on reading the Watchtower, it might jump up and grab a hold of your mind and turn you into some strange type being. LOL
Apostates are usually pretty open about the fact we believe the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of Pennsylvania is running as scam on our families. It is the main reason I chose the username I did. None of this wolf is sheeps clothing thing for me. I suppose I could go around claiming to believe and then acting like an ass to give the JWs a bad name. If you notice I called you out on your bad behavior so you didn't give them a bad name. I don't want to see a single JW member be re victimized by people who don't understand how powerful this type of control is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2016, 04:14 PM
 
Location: Salt Lake City
21,280 posts, read 20,893,921 times
Reputation: 9963
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marakorpa View Post
You, Katzpur, have shown a kindness and an understanding in your comments, but be careful on reading the Watchtower, it might jump up and grab a hold of your mind and turn you into some strange type being. LOL
While I've got to say that that's highly unlikely, I don't believe it ever hurts to strive for understanding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-18-2016, 04:32 PM
 
37,531 posts, read 25,255,858 times
Reputation: 5857
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
Apostates are usually pretty open about the fact we believe the Watchtower Bible and Tract Society of Pennsylvania is running as scam on our families. It is the main reason I chose the username I did. None of this wolf is sheeps clothing thing for me. I suppose I could go around claiming to believe and then acting like an ass to give the JWs a bad name. If you notice I called you out on your bad behavior so you didn't give them a bad name. I don't want to see a single JW member be re victimized by people who don't understand how powerful this type of control is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top