Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2011, 10:53 PM

10,449 posts, read 12,461,160 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swtlulu2007 View Post
The only issue I have personally ever had with JW is that their claim to being christian, because I just don't see how they are, BUT everyone I have ever meet are very nice people. I am always nice to them and politely say I am secure with my own beliefs and church. =)
Jehovah's Witnesses believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God, so that by definition makes them Christian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2011, 11:25 PM

1,252 posts, read 3,485,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
wilsoncole I'm actually glad to see that a Jehovah's Witness is defending the good name of your religion. Can't say that I agree with your beliefs, but I do think that the best "expert opinion" on any religion is a member of said religion.

The thing that puzzles me: What makes JW unique from any other faith that studies the Bible? Countless denominations sincerely believe that their interpretation is right and everyone else's is wrong, so what makes the Jehovah's Witness version of things any better or any worse than the rest?
JWs KNOW they have "the truth", they are right, and KNOW that everyone else is wrong.
You have to be a JW to agree with that statement.
If you don't agree with that statement, you cannot be a JW.
No soup for you.

They are more delusional than Charlie Sheen.
Winning? Not.

Old 04-23-2011, 11:55 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,733,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swtlulu2007 View Post
The only issue I have personally ever had with JW is that their claim to being christian, because I just don't see how they are, BUT everyone I have ever meet are very nice people. I am always nice to them and politely say I am secure with my own beliefs and church. =)
I've never understood why some Christian religions are "real Christians" and others are "fake Christians." You have TONS of variability in Christianity. Some would even go so far as to say that even if you only accept Jesus Christ as a "great teacher" but not the Son of God, as long as his teachings are the central guide in how you live your life, that makes you a Christian.

The single biggest disqualifier for any given denomination seems to always have something to do with nitpicking over the nature of Father, Son and Holy Spirit -- a topic that Christians have been bickering over and not coming to full consensus agreement on since before 300 AD. It's always struck me as extremely childish to say "not Christian because their interpretation of Father, Son and Holy Spirit isn't the same as mine." But hey, maybe that's just me.

Old 04-24-2011, 07:10 AM

646 posts, read 634,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
Those who want to hear your message would seek YOU out and ask questions.
That's NOT how its done! We have no desire to circumvent Jehovah's proscribed method of gospel propagation.
Read Reply # 293 again - this time very carefully.
As Christians we always want to obey our leader, Christ.
These are HIS instructions:
“When YOU are entering into the house, greet the household; 13 and if the house is deserving, let the peace YOU wish it come upon it; but if it is not deserving, let the peace from YOU return upon YOU.” (Matthew 10:12-13)

GO therefore and make disciples of people of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the holy spirit, 20 teaching them to observe all the things I have commanded YOU. And, look! I am with YOU all the days until the conclusion of the system of things.”” (Matthew 28:19-20)

If we refuse to GO, how will we get him to go with us?

“I did not hold back from telling YOU any of the things that were profitable nor from teaching YOU publicly (streets) and from house to house.” (Acts 20:20)
Jesus made the kingdom of Jehovah the theme of his preaching. His true followers must do likewise.
Which other group obeys Jesus in going from house to house, preaching the good news of God's kingdom as their primary message, letting people know that there is no hope of survival apart from Jehovah's kingdom?
Which other group is ready and willing to proudly bear Jehovah's name, just as Peter described?:
“Sym′e·on (Peter) has related thoroughly how God for the first time turned his attention to the nations to take out of them a people for his name.. . .” (Acts 15:14)
"A people for his name!" Which other group matches that description? Are willing to publicly be associated with Jehovah's name? Are engaged in a worldwide house-to-house preaching and teaching work - in Jehovah's name?

“YOU are my witnesses,” is the utterance of Jehovah, “even my servant whom I have chosen, in order that YOU may know and have faith in me, . . .” (Isaiah 43:10)

Regardless of what you have heard about us, we have excellent credentials!

Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
wilsoncole I'm actually glad to see that a Jehovah's Witness is defending the good name of your religion. Can't say that I agree with your beliefs, but I do think that the best "expert opinion" on any religion is a member of said religion.

The thing that puzzles me: What makes JW unique from any other faith that studies the Bible? Countless denominations sincerely believe that their interpretation is right and everyone else's is wrong, so what makes the Jehovah's Witness version of things any better or any worse than the rest?
Mr Thunder,
This post should adequately answer YOUR questions.

(\__/)
( ‘ .‘ )
>(^)<

Wilson

Old 04-24-2011, 07:35 AM

1,382 posts, read 2,385,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shibata View Post
Why do they want you to go to their meetings? Have you asked them? You need to be very clear about the purpose before even moving a muscle.

And then stay where you are!
Wierd medical experiments?
Cannibalism?
The theft of valuable parts from your car while your at services?

Old 04-24-2011, 07:40 AM

33,536 posts, read 37,136,097 times
What do I think of Jehovah witnesses? Not much....Ask the ones that have knocked on my door...They never come back.

Old 04-24-2011, 07:40 AM

1,382 posts, read 2,385,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabee View Post
JWs KNOW they have "the truth", they are right, and KNOW that everyone else is wrong.
You have to be a JW to agree with that statement.
If you don't agree with that statement, you cannot be a JW.
No soup for you.

They are more delusional than Charlie Sheen.
Winning? Not.
Or the typical democrat.

Old 04-24-2011, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertjohnson View Post
Wierd medical experiments?
Cannibalism?
The theft of valuable parts from your car while your at services?
None of that! Stop trying to spread rumors!
Unlike the secrecy of cults, the meetings of JWs are open to the public.
Did you know that they even have telephone hookups so that people who are interested can listen in on their meetings?
Then you can know for yourself what takes place there. Isn't that fair?
We have nothing to hide from the public.
Send me an email and I can supply you with some numbers.

(\__/)
( ‘ .‘ )
>(^)<

Wilson

Old 04-24-2011, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
What do I think of Jehovah witnesses? Not much....Ask the ones that have knocked on my door...They never come back.
There's a reason for that:
“Wherever anyone does not take YOU in or listen to YOUR words, on going out of that house or that city shake the dust off YOUR feet.” (Matthew 10:14)

We will obey Jesus at all costs.

(\__/)
( ‘ .‘ )
>(^)<

Wilson

Old 04-24-2011, 09:10 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,206,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
The rationale the JW's told me behind this was that when they could never catch people on regular days, they would go back to on holidays. Not that that justifies anything, but that is what they told me. Again, I don't think they are trying to be malicious when they do this, but they really aren't thinking about other people.
I don't think they are being malicious either, not with any of their proselytizing no matter what day it is. Nevertheless, I don't buy the excuse that they go out on Christmas Day, or any holiday, because they "can't find people at home on regular days". Thus, I could not help but think they were using the young boy to gain an audience on a holiday--CHRISTMAS!!--since they knew people might be ticked off by an adult knocking on the door on that particular day but would be reluctant to chew out a young child.

While I can understand that there ARE people who are seeking a religious anchor and need it to help themselves regain their equilibrium, I and many millions of other non-JW's resent the repeated knocking on my door every few weeks. It's always tempting to say, "If I've told you once, I've told you a thousand times--'I'm not interested'"

A couple of years ago, Scientology tracked me down from my brief interest in them forty years ago (!!!) when I lived in California. I had moved a dozen times in the intervening years, including two state-to-state moves. I was polite and said I would listen to the DVD she offered to send me. It arrived in the mail and I found it so boring, I turned it off after one hour of blather. When the Scientology proselytizer called me back, I told her very nicely how I felt......that I had shown no interest in Scientology for forty years but I had watched most of the DVD anyway, found it a total bore, that my interest was not the least bit piqued and please don't call me back again. Then I started getting mailings from them. After about two weeks, another person called me back. I told her the same thing I had told the first person and ended with, "Please don't call me back". Two weeks later, still another person called me--identifying herself as being from "Brook Publishing", which fooled me at first because I didn't realize Brook Publishing is the publishing arm of Scientology. I was irritated and asked if they kept notes about their calls, that I had asked not be called again. She said "yes, they kept notes" but still thought I might be interested. I was still polite but told her firmly, "Please don't call me back again. I'm not interested." In the meantime, I had to jump through hoops to get off their mailing list but I was successful at that. About a month went by and one day I got another call from "Brook Publishing". Now I'm on to them and now I'm really, really mad. I am not one bit ashamed to say I let her have it with all the firepower of anger and profanity in my vocabulary. She barely got a word in edgewise before I fired another volley of profanity at Scientology and their "crap philosophy" I told her it was crap 40 years ago and it was still crap today and she had some f**king nerve to keep calling and calling when I had clearly asked not to be contacted again. She finally hung up on me. I never heard from them again. (Mission accomplished.)

I've never treated JW's like this but when they keep showing up again and again on my doorstep, it's tempting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality