Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 07:05 AM

29,391 posts, read 55,596,323 times

Advertisements

The 20th Century has been the bloodiest century in all of history. And humanism has proven to be the most destructive religion of all time. Far more people have been killed in the name of atheism than by all other religions combined.

Soviet dictator Joseph Stalin was responsible for killing over 40 million people. Joseph Stalin closed down over 48 000 churches, and attempted the liquidation of the entire Christian Church.

The Greatest Killer

Old 03-01-2010, 07:35 AM

1,088 posts, read 2,196,357 times
I spent all this time thinking John1960 was just a random bot hack used to skim the web for 'news stories' and then repost them on here.

Either way, that links chocked so full of propaganda and bullsh.t that I feel like I lost a few IQ points just for taking the time to read it. Atheism, Marxism, Communism, and Humanism are not synonymous, for one thing. The acts of the likes of Stalin are not because they do not fear the consequences of a God or are godless and thus immoral murderers but because they were power hungry totalitarian dictators. The Bitter Harvest was politically motivated, not religiously motivated.

Old 03-01-2010, 07:58 AM

5,553 posts, read 8,004,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spotted1 View Post
I spent all this time thinking John1960 was just a random bot hack used to skim the web for 'news stories' and then repost them on here.
EXACTLY!!! That was the first thought that crossed my mind. All this time I thought he was just a neutral, self-titled, City-Data news reporter without a dog in any religious fight. Now I realize all along there HAS been an agenda and he finally speaks, exposing which side of the fence he sits. Interesting.

Quote:
Either way, that links chocked so full of propaganda and bullsh.t that I feel like I lost a few IQ points just for taking the time to read it. Atheism, Marxism, Communism, and Humanism are not synonymous, for one thing. The acts of the likes of Stalin are not because they do not fear the consequences of a God or are godless and thus immoral murderers but because they were power hungry totalitarian dictators. The Bitter Harvest was politically motivated, not religiously motivated.

Old 03-01-2010, 08:03 AM

1,243 posts, read 1,567,452 times
Quote:
The acts of the likes of Stalin are not because they do not fear the consequences of a God or are godless and thus immoral murderers but because they were power hungry totalitarian dictators. The Bitter Harvest was politically motivated, not religiously motivated.
Politics and religion cannot be separated, because both are expressions of and influences on material relationships in human society. The more corrupt a society is, the more it is uncomfortable with an ethos that promotes openness and honest dealings, which religions tend to generate. Unlike any other religion in history, Christianity was opposed from the start by corrupt vested interests. Those interests were eventually forced to capitulate to Christianity, though only in name. However, it was perceived in Soviet Russia, in which millions had to die if the system was to compete with Western capitalism, that even nominal Christianity was enough to cause embarrassment to the state.

Old 03-01-2010, 08:10 AM

1,088 posts, read 2,196,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shibata View Post
Politics and religion cannot be separated, because both are expressions of and influences on material relationships in human society. The more corrupt a society is, the more it is uncomfortable with an ethos that promotes openness and honest dealings, which religions tend to generate. Unlike any other religion in history, Christianity was opposed from the start by corrupt vested interests. Those interests were eventually forced to capitulate to Christianity, though only in name. However, it was perceived in Soviet Russia, in which millions had to die if the system was to compete with Western capitalism, that even nominal Christianity was enough to cause embarrassment to the state.
So you're saying atheists are corrupt and out to destroy Christianity because Christianity is good? I just want to make sure I'm following you so I can get this right before I tear down such a ridiculous argument.

Old 03-01-2010, 08:26 AM

Quote:
So you're saying atheists are corrupt and out to destroy Christianity because Christianity is good?
I'm saying that bad people oppose good people. Simply that.

Old 03-01-2010, 08:36 AM

1,743 posts, read 2,159,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
The 20th Century has been the bloodiest century in all of history. And humanism has proven to be the most destructive religion of all time. Far more people have been killed in the name of atheism than by all other religions combined.
Incorrect. No one has ever been killed in the name of atheism. However untold millions HAVE been killed in the name of Christianity and religion in general.

Oh and BTW humanism isn't a religion and not all humanists are atheists.

Old 03-01-2010, 08:55 AM

4,904 posts, read 6,015,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post

Soviet dictator Joseph Stalin was responsible for killing over 40 million people. Joseph Stalin closed down over 48 000 churches, and attempted the liquidation of the entire Christian Church.

The Greatest Killer
This is nonsense. You make the false assumption that Stalin killed others because of his atheism. This is not so. Have you heard of a thing called communism? It's a political ideology that was developed by Karl Marx in the 19th century. One of the steps in communism is a group to take power before they 'ride off' out of power. This is the reason Stalin killed so many people. Communist governments get stuck at the dictatorship step. Stalin killed people because of greed and power. You might want to do some fact checking. Also, humanism isn't a religion and it had nothing to do with any of the pogroms and suffering in the 20th century.

Old 03-01-2010, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayneinspain View Post
exactly what did you mean?
Exactly what I wrote.

Last edited by shibata; 03-01-2010 at 09:23 AM..

Old 03-01-2010, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
This is nonsense. You make the false assumption that Stalin killed others because of his atheism. This is not so. Have you heard of a thing called communism? It's a political ideology that was developed by Karl Marx in the 19th century. One of the steps in communism is a group to take power before they 'ride off' out of power. This is the reason Stalin killed so many people.
Stalin was a communist the way I am a ballet dancer. Marxism stipulates that communism wll never be reached while capitalism is alive and kicking, and it's certainly that right now. The task of Lenin and Stalin was, as they perceived it, to get Russia from medievalism to late capitalism in the shortest possible time. That meant killing a large proportion of the population. The culprit is capitalism.

Though of course Russia could have been left as it was. Millions would have died from starvation, if so. That's just life, which is never that easy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality