U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2010, 02:22 PM

12,491 posts, read 13,108,284 times

Advertisements

I have noticed the terms "mystic" and "mysticism" used recently in a few threads, and it is confusing to me. Also people using the terms "religion" and "spirituality" in wildly varying contexts.

For you in your life, how do you use these terms and what do they mean to you?

mysticism
religion
spirituality

How do you define them for yourself, and what distinctions if any do you make between them? Thank you!

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 03-01-2010 at 02:35 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 06:12 PM

7,525 posts, read 14,550,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post

mysticism
religion
spirituality

mysticism: what other people can't understand

religion: the root of all spiritual evil. It is the organized leading of potential believers away from a relationship with the creator.

spirituality: awareness of the connection between the creator and the creation.

Old 03-02-2010, 07:50 AM

4,083 posts, read 4,299,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
I have noticed the terms "mystic" and "mysticism" used recently in a few threads, and it is confusing to me. Also people using the terms "religion" and "spirituality" in wildly varying contexts.

mysticism
religion
spirituality

How do you define them for yourself, and what distinctions if any do you make between them? Thank you!
For me religion is the religion you practice, spirituality is what inside you brings you to a faith, and mysticism is to transcend to get to know the essence of G-d or to understand it. I know each faith tradition has its own understanding of mysticism. Kabbalah, Sufism, etc.

Old 03-02-2010, 08:32 AM

2,893 posts, read 5,169,109 times
To me:

Spirituality is the idea that a person is more than the sum of their parts.

Mysticism is the idea that the physical can invoke the supernatural.

Religion is the social and political organization of people who are (or claim) to be religious or spiritual.

Old 03-03-2010, 10:13 AM

1,168 posts, read 1,044,247 times
To me

Mysticism means...To envoke or conjure the elemental elements of forces, to aid in or effect the presant or future unfolding events in time, usually to the conjurers benefit...so they comply or altar events, according to the wishes of the conjurer.

Spirituallity means to me...the inner sanctum of the body's life force...(the controller)
Some say it is the mind...but as Jesus said..there is the holy Ghost...and I believe we all have a spirit in us, that is either Good by nature, or Evil by nature..or are possesed by either or if not armoured with the truth of God,..or effected by either or......and in that the two are forever at odds with the other....or until we gain controll of both...using the holy spirit, and the truth about God being true and best controller of all...Good and Evil....
That being said...God has our best interest at heart...if we follow his commandments, covenants, precepts, and instructions Given on how to live with Everything he gave us!!...as stated in Genesis 9:3.!!!...and the laws of the land and the laws of God.
Those who understand and do what God has said...will prosper.
Those who build on that truth, will have strong foundations, and will not be torn down by any forces!!!.
Those who are meek and mild, Good always, honest and fare, and giving and share these things God has given...well they are like God...or his children...to some extent...in likeness, as God has made it known that he has Given everything to us to tend and keep !

Religion if it is true religion of God...there is no killing of anything or anyone!..according to God's law!
Jesus also says "Let the evil be evil, the filthy be filthy, the holy be holy, and the righteous still do right...my rewards are with me.

So we no longer have to point and shoot, or cut off their heads, or judge the other.
What we are to do is Do what God has asked of us...perfect the self...and be sinless in that perfection.
The end result is EDENS...and helpers of it...Like God intended of his creation called mankind!

And humankind should be making many more like the first one "Eden" to expand the kingdom of God....but they have become polluted with thoughts of Idols, and wealth, and warfare, polluting the elemental elements, and generally disrespecting all life with their stupidities, while they trespass onwards in their industrial madness polluting the verything we need clean to live on....etc..all leading them to their own demise it would seem...and it is supported by the taxed hand and the blind Goats...and forced sheep you might say...
Religion is not only a truth of that perspective, but it is also a mysticism..because from what I have read of prophecies...it could altar future events...as it foretells of certain events taking place in future to show signs of our bent directions with the idol of engraven images made way to important in our lives, and subjecting all things to it....so no one can have freely!

So religion is also a way of life...if we follow the instruction first given, and do it sinlessly...and we restore and tend and keep it well and make more and more and more and more EDENS and fill the earth and the heavens...then is that not eternally Good for the whole creation of God?

I think that message has been hidden or not read into the people hearts and minds by those who say or speak for God....

But that is just my two and a half cents of understanding....eh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or