U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 04:50 PM

8,957 posts, read 17,057,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by achickenchaser View Post
Well I guess it's a good thing we're not talking about God's word, now isn't it?
But OP is. IF you bother to read that post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 04:52 PM

8,957 posts, read 17,057,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullback32 View Post

I personally dare anyone to attempt to keep a Comanche woman from speaking her mind!
Funny! Very funny!

Old 03-01-2010, 04:57 PM

2,828 posts, read 3,454,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
I don't think it's smart to question God's word & intent.........do you?

Tightwad, do you take Genesis literally?

Old 03-01-2010, 05:56 PM

678 posts, read 1,254,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
In Genesis 3-16, God gets really upset with Eve for eating the fruit and making Adam also take a bite, and he:

1. makes her (and all that follow her) have very painful childbirths.

2. proclaims that her husband shall rule over her. We know how some religions that interpret this literally use it to restrict women.

Do you think the punishment fits the crime for what she did? Does it show a lot of mercy and compassion, just because she and her mate ate a piece of fruit they weren't supposed to and gained some new insights?
I do take Genesis literally. I am a Christian. This is what I believe.

Adam and Eve were created without any knowledge of evil/sin. They had a beautiful garden and food to eat. It was all GIVEN to them with one condition/rule/law to obey: "You are free to eat from any tree in the garden; but you must not eat from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, for when you eat of it you will surely die."

Satan tricked Eve, then she gave some to Adam. Then, oh my, we're naked!! In their shame, they hid when God came to the garden.

Adam then blamed Eve and God- The woman you put here with me-she gave it to me. Eve blames Satan- The serpent tricked me.

Disobedience has consequences. For women: painful childbirth (we aren't formed from clay or a rib anymore), desire for our husband (a good thing -the human race continued) and the husband should be the head of the family. For men: work hard for your food until you die.

I see mercy and compassion in allowing them to live. God could have started over with another pair of people. I see mercy and compassion in Genesis 3:21- The Lord God made garments of animal skins for Adam and his wife and clothed them.

~l~

Old 03-01-2010, 06:30 PM

899 posts, read 1,682,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rayneinspain View Post
Or some Scottish/German women.
Try an Irish woman!

(hope the missus doesn't see that)

Old 03-01-2010, 06:35 PM

3,302 posts, read 3,764,327 times
Quote:
In Genesis 3-16, God gets really upset with Eve for eating the fruit and making Adam also take a bite, and he:

1. makes her (and all that follow her) have very painful childbirths.

2. proclaims that her husband shall rule over her. We know how some religions that interpret this literally use it to restrict women.

Do you think the punishment fits the crime for what she did? Does it show a lot of mercy and compassion, just because she and her mate ate a piece of fruit they weren't supposed to and gained some new insights?
That comes to show that the way God is portrayed in the Bible is not a very merciful and fair God.

That is just one example of many others as I see it.

You have a great day.
El Amigo

Old 03-01-2010, 07:49 PM

37,617 posts, read 25,318,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonfly8 View Post
I do take Genesis literally.
That is sad.

Old 03-01-2010, 07:58 PM

7,788 posts, read 10,463,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tightwad View Post
I don't think it's smart to question God's word & intent.........do you?
Given birth lately?

(Even at June's age, there are just some things one never forgets!)

Old 03-01-2010, 07:58 PM

7,525 posts, read 14,569,284 times
Quote:
I do take Genesis literally.
How sad.............

Quote:
Satan tricked Eve, then she gave some to Adam. Then, oh my, we're naked!! In their shame, they hid when God came to the garden.
Lets see, they were naked in the garden and they became ashamed of being naked?

Quote:
Adam then blamed Eve and God- The woman you put here with me-she gave it to me. Eve blames Satan- The serpent tricked me.
Lets all play the blame game.............and god in his infinite wisdom holds eve accountable? right.......where is Johnny Cochran when you need him...............

Old 03-01-2010, 08:07 PM

10,098 posts, read 10,650,616 times
Quote:
Tightwad, do you take Genesis literally?
I sure do. That's one reason I think it's so comical that anyone would believe a word of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality