U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-05-2011, 12:35 AM
 
Location: South Africa
5,563 posts, read 6,169,024 times
Reputation: 1785

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radrook View Post
That similar to asking an admirer of the USA Constitution: "So that means that now you gotta believe all constitutions are good-right?"
No the USA one sucks the SA one is far better as it is only 16 years old and still going strong and btw LGBT and atheists here have equal rights. Something the USA can aspire to IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-05-2011, 12:38 AM
 
Location: Metromess
11,798 posts, read 21,427,987 times
Reputation: 5059
One would hope so. But it seems like too much to ask.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2011, 05:39 AM
 
Location: Florida
18,413 posts, read 18,692,796 times
Reputation: 21183
Quote:
Originally Posted by I might View Post
After all, they get the joy of carrying/bonding/breastfeeding a life. I know many men that would give up their right testicle for such an amazing opportunity.
Having men go through the birthing process sure would have taken care of the over-population problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-05-2011, 06:40 AM
 
2,958 posts, read 2,090,996 times
Reputation: 584
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Having men go through the birthing process sure would have taken care of the over-population problem.
I heard when I was very young that if the man had to give birth to every other one families would have been noticeably smaller.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2011, 12:29 AM
 
12,517 posts, read 14,675,774 times
Reputation: 14317
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
In Genesis 3-16, God gets really upset with Eve for eating the fruit and making Adam also take a bite, and he:

1. makes her (and all that follow her) have very painful childbirths.

2. proclaims that her husband shall rule over her. We know how some religions that interpret this literally use it to restrict women.

Do you think the punishment fits the crime for what she did? Does it show a lot of mercy and compassion, just because she and her mate ate a piece of fruit they weren't supposed to and gained some new insights?
Ive always wondered why the bible pits man against woman right from the get-go....amazing...eve takes a bite, and the poor, poor gullible adam is conned into taking one too........rediculous......especially when eve had the guts and the ambition to want to know more (wasnt it the tree of knowledge).Its like the bible doesnt want man and woman to get along...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2011, 12:41 AM
 
Location: Metromess
11,798 posts, read 21,427,987 times
Reputation: 5059
Eve didn't force Adam to take a bite in the story. He did it of his own free will, which is frowned upon by dogmatic religions. But to set the tone of the basically misogynistic Judeo-Christian viewpoint, she got most of the blame for it. After all, the religions are man-made.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2011, 05:04 PM
 
1,811 posts, read 934,534 times
Reputation: 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
In Genesis 3-16, God gets really upset with Eve for eating the fruit and making Adam also take a bite, and he:

1. makes her (and all that follow her) have very painful childbirths.

2. proclaims that her husband shall rule over her. We know how some religions that interpret this literally use it to restrict women.

Do you think the punishment fits the crime for what she did? Does it show a lot of mercy and compassion, just because she and her mate ate a piece of fruit they weren't supposed to and gained some new insights?
You do realize, don't you, that you are dealing with Mythology - NOT fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-06-2011, 05:05 PM
 
1,811 posts, read 934,534 times
Reputation: 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman View Post
Eve didn't force Adam to take a bite in the story. He did it of his own free will, which is frowned upon by dogmatic religions. But to set the tone of the basically misogynistic Judeo-Christian viewpoint, she got most of the blame for it. After all, the religions are man-made.
Yah, god should have spent more time programming free will. It seems he created a decsion making module capable of making bad decisions, AND he knew it ahead of time. Pretty damnable if you ask me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top